Corey "Close'em early" Patterson

WhiteySocks

There is always one player that stands above the rest in this case you have got to give it up to the NEW Cubs Killer Corey Patterson. What an awesome effort he gave to TRY to make the catch but if this game was based upon effort any Joe Schmoe would be in there. He was in there for his ability to catch the ball and I am glad he can close his glove... too bad the ball wasn't in the glove.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 21, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
Regardless of it being a can of corn or not, Patterson should have had it.  He closed his glove before the ball was in it.

I'm going to disagree. Anytime a fielder leaves his feet, no fan, coach or player should say "He should have caught that." It's not easy coming in full speed, and diving forward at a ball and catching it.

I'm going to disagree. Anytime a fielder leaves his feet, no fan, coach or player should say "He should have caught that." It's not easy coming in full speed, and diving forward at a ball and catching it.

Patterson is playing CF for the Cubs because of his defense. His bat is crap. He HAS to make that catch.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 21, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Patterson is playing CF for the Cubs because of his defense.  His bat is crap.  He HAS to make that catch.

Go in your back yard and try to make it. You won't. I promise you that ball was juggling around on him, and then to have to go in the air and try to focus it? Not an easy catch by any means.

Go in your back yard and try to make it. You won't. I promise you that ball was juggling around on him, and then to have to go in the air and try to focus it? Not an easy catch by any means.

LOL. Am I getting paid millions to play CF for the Cubs? Patterson blew it, plain and simple.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 21, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
LOL.  Am I getting paid millions to play CF for the Cubs?  Patterson blew it, plain and simple.

No, you're not. However, the blame should be on the pitcher, not Corey Patterson. How can you expect a guy to make that play? Blame it on the implosion of their crappy bullpen for giving up the hits that count. I'm not going to bust Aaron Rowand's balls if he drops that, I'm going to blame the pitcher.

No, you're not. However, the blame should be on the pitcher, not Corey Patterson. How can you expect a guy to make that play? Blame it on the implosion of their crappy bullpen for giving up the hits that count. I'm not going to bust Aaron Rowand's balls if he drops that, I'm going to blame the pitcher.

Well, if Patterson can't make that play then he's pretty worthless to the team with his .292 OBP and 37 K's.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 21, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Well, if Patterson can't make that play then he's pretty worthless to the team with his .292 OBP and 37 K's.

I don't know who you think he is. That's a Torri Hunter type play if you ask me, is Corey as good defensively as Hunter? No.

I agree with you BobDylan, I played baseball in high school and played left field and it was hard as hell running in on a ball because it bounces up and down. It's especially hard when having to make a judgement call on when to leave your feet for the ball. Could he have made the play, yes, can you say that he should have made the play, no; in that case he would have received an error.

Edited by traydragen

Wow. Any real baseball fan knows that you can't bust on Patterson for not making that catch. If he makes that catch it is web gem material, and it changes all of the momentum from the series. He was in a full extension dive people, we aren't talking about one of those cheesy, this looks way better on TV, but there is no real need for it, half-slide, Maggs diving catches... we are talking about a full board dive.

Get past the Cub hatred, and find some appreciation for the rarity of the catch Patterson tried to make. That would have been an awesome catch, like Patterson or not.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
Wow.  Any real baseball fan knows that you can't bust on Patterson for not making that catch.  If he makes that catch it is web gem material, and it changes all of the momentum from the series.  He was in a full extension dive people, we aren't talking about one of those cheesy, this looks way better on TV, but there is no real need for it, half-slide, Maggs diving catches... we are talking about a full board dive. 

Get past the Cub hatred, and find some appreciation for the rarity of the catch Patterson tried to make.  That would have been an awesome catch, like Patterson or not.

Yes. If he makes that catch, the outcome would have been much different. He gave it a helluva try.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Wow.  Any real baseball fan knows that you can't bust on Patterson for not making that catch.  If he makes that catch it is web gem material, and it changes all of the momentum from the series.  He was in a full extension dive people, we aren't talking about one of those cheesy, this looks way better on TV, but there is no real need for it, half-slide, Maggs diving catches... we are talking about a full board dive. 

Get past the Cub hatred, and find some appreciation for the rarity of the catch Patterson tried to make.  That would have been an awesome catch, like Patterson or not.

Excellent post. The only thing you could add is thank god he didn't make it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Paulie did good to get a good swing on that pitch too.

Yup. That was a great pitch. And Paulie did what he had to do to protect 3-2 w/2 outs. Glad it worked out for the Sox and for Paulie. During Paulie's recent slump, he'd be nailing balls right at somebody. Now that it seems he's beginning to break out, he's hitting these gork shots that, Patterson not withstanding, are falling.

That's one of the reasons why I love this game. You can be productive and NOT be murdering every ball pitched to you.

Konerko is the only true CubKilla we have left anyway :headbang . Was there ever any doubt?