Uribe's "foul call"

Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
That's what I saw, I was wondering what Lee was doing. Uribe's English is supposedly very poor. I don't know if he can say foul.  Did he actually say something to Lee, which I find hard to believe that Lee would be able to hear him and understand him, or did Lee go by Uribe holding up his hands.

Ya, I thought it was just him holding his hands up. Hell, the more I think about it I still think my original assesment is totally plausible in the sense that Juan was simply trying to deak out Lee into thinking it was simply a single and the ball was on its way back. Lee couldn't see the ball.

Has anyone even heard Juan refer to the fact that he acted as if it were a foul ball.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
That's what I saw, I was wondering what Lee was doing. Uribe's English is supposedly very poor. I don't know if he can say foul.  Did he actually say something to Lee, which I find hard to believe that Lee would be able to hear him and understand him, or did Lee go by Uribe holding up his hands.

I was wondering about this myself, but I decided "foul ball" is a common enough phrase that he must know that by now.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Jim and I actually thought he was going to 2nd in case there was a play also. He looked like he didn't know what was up.

Just watch...this will be exactly what was in Juan's mind and everything will be for not. I 've never seen a guy fake a ball being foul but when you watch Juan in the infield he always has his hands like that when he's getting ready to recieve a ball as the cutoff man. I've often times seen him do that to deek a guy too, just like every other middle infielder does.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
What's next "your shoes are untied?" If the difference between this team winning and losing is childish ploys like this, this team is in trouble. There are certain things you should outgrow, I guess some people haven't. I'd rather see them play like men, not little boys.

If DLee runs the bases like a little boy we can't use boyish dekes?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
Just watch...this will be exactly what was in Juan's mind and everything will be for not.  I 've never seen a guy fake a ball being foul but when you watch Juan in the infield he always has his hands like that when he's getting ready to recieve a ball as the cutoff man.  I've often times seen him do that to deek a guy too, just like every other middle infielder does.

Of course it will....

I said it. ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Good point.. I've never talked to Uribe, or heard him talk.. so I'm gonna ask.

His english is a good point, I don't remember who it was but some Sox player was quoted as saying something like, "Yeah, we never know what the hell Juany's saying"

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
His english is a good point, I don't remember who it was but some Sox player was quoted as saying something like, "Yeah, we never know what the hell Juany's saying"

Ozzie said something about all the different languages on the team then he mentioned uribe.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
And I say MVP Willie  :P  :D

Oh.. he got is due on Saturday. Jim and him talked.. don't know what he said to him as I was talking to Jr (who specifically said hi to you and Mario and Mike and Alex - BTW). But little MVP walked away with a smile from ear to ear.. :puke

:rolly

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)

He's never around in the tunnel and never comes to the bars on road trips.. I just assumed it was because he doesn't understand so well and can't keep up with the conversation. :huh

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)

Hell I thought that was Ozzie. Or it was something along the lines of you can understand half of what I'm saying, but no one knows what the hell Juan is saying.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Oh.. he got is due on Saturday. Jim and him talked.. don't know what he said to him as I was talking to Jr (who specifically said hi to you and Mario and Mike and Alex - BTW). But little MVP walked away with a smile from ear to ear.. :puke

:rolly

:lolhitting

Those were good times...are you gonna be at any of the Dodger series. I think Boz mentioned you'd be out of town?

I play shortstop for my softball team. Last year, a runner on 2nd asked me if there were two outs. Even though I knew there was only one I said "yes." The batter popped out and the runner took off for an easy double play.

Bad sportsmanship on my part? Or just gamesmanship?

I thought it was pretty funny just as I feel about Uribe's move.

My daughter's high school team runs a play where they pretend to pick off the runner on 2nd, the fielders all of a sudden start running around like the pitcher has thrown the ball into the outfield. The runner steps off second and the pitcher tags them out.

It works all of the time.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
:lolhitting

Those were good times...are you gonna be at any of the Dodger series.  I think Boz mentioned you'd be out of town?

I'm gonna be here on Friday then I leave Saturday morning for a few days. Can you guys come in on Thursday...? I might be able to swing a card game if you can. He wants to play bad...

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
I play shortstop for my softball team.  Last year, a runner on 2nd asked me if there were two outs.  Even though I knew there was only one I said "yes."  The batter popped out and the runner took off for an easy double play.

Bad sportsmanship on my part?  Or just gamesmanship?

I thought it was pretty funny just as I feel about Uribe's move.

My daughter's high school team runs a play where they pretend to pick off the runner on 2nd, the fielders all of a sudden start running around like the pitcher has thrown the ball into the outfield.  The runner steps off second and the pitcher tags them out.

It works all of the time.

Well I know one thing. If I'm playing with my friends I'm definately trying to make them look like an idiot and will do everything and anything to aid in that :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Hell I thought that was Ozzie.  Or it was something along the lines of you can understand half of what I'm saying, but no one knows what the hell Juan is saying.

The quote is in my sig...

"I have to know how to curse in english, spanish, japanese, and whatever language Uribe is speaking." -- Ozzie Guillen, April, 2005.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm gonna be here on Friday then I leave Saturday morning for a few days. Can you guys come in on Thursday...? I might be able to swing a card game if you can. He wants to play bad...

Can't plane tickets are purchased and I'm doing training for my internship just before I fly out. Than when I get back that Monday I start. Wish I could though.

Maybe in August? I plan on coming out for that Twinkie series.

So tailgate on that Friday? :D

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)

"I have to know how to curse in english, spanish, japanese, and whatever language Uribe is speaking." -- Ozzie Guillen, April, 2005.

ROFL...thats gotta be one of my all time fav quotes.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)

ROFL for some reason that makes me laugh so f***ing hard.

Just picturing the little round Uribe speak jibberish makes my laugh my ass off.

"whatever language Uribe is speaking" That's one of the funniest things I've ever read. :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Can't plane tickets are purchased and I'm doing training for my internship just before I fly out.  Than when I get back that Monday I start.  Wish I could though. 

Maybe in August?  I plan on coming out for that Twinkie series. 

So tailgate on that Friday? :D

August we can do.. and it's better for him also I think. I'll take care of that.

Tailgating is fine as long as it doesn't mean full grill detail. :drink :drink :drink

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
ROFL for some reason that makes me laugh so f***ing hard.

Just picturing the little round Uribe speak jibberish makes my laugh my ass off.

"whatever language Uribe is speaking" That's one of the funniest things I've ever read. :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

That's why its in my signature.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
August we can do.. and it's better for him also I think. I'll take care of that.

Tailgating is fine as long as it doesn't mean full grill detail.  :drink  :drink  :drink

Alright sounds good...looking forward to it :cheers

ridiuculous..paulie is 1 of the main leaders of this ball club but there was absolutely no reason PK need to call out uribe like this KEEP UR DAMN MOUTH SHUT AND LEARN 2 HIT THE f***IN BALL!! as a matter of of fact at baseball practice today we were talking about that very play and each player on my team applauded it and thought of it nothing more than smart baseball..i mean hell it saved us a run baseball isnt about being nice its about winning baseball games and if tellin the opposition a ball is foul when in reality it isnt so be it..lee should have should have been motoring