Uribe's "foul call"

Milkman delivers

I dunno, I think Pauly was off, but I'd bet it was something he mighta laughed at afterwards. Like "What was I thinking?" or maybe not, I'm not gonna rag on him, though. But I agree with the idea that Lee shouldv'e known what to do. While I kind of agree it was kind of dirty what Uribe did, I can't help but laugh as well.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious comparison?

I think the only dolt in the thread is you.

Generally players have a right to the basepath, so if they make contact in that fashion it is legal. A-Rod went beyond this, and tried to purposefully make the ball fall out of the players mit.

Compare to Uribe:

Players generally can fake out a player. But it is far different to tell a player, "Hey that was foul".

You know most people think the opponent has honor, and if they are saying its foul its because that is the way they would want to be treated. He tricked Lee, and that is bush league.

Half the people in this thread would of been crying if it had gone against the Sox, ie Perez told Uribe it was a foul ball and Uribe stopped running.

Maybe no one has class anymore, who knows.

SB

I said it was a "ridiculous comparison." And yes, it is a bad comparison. A-Rod PHYSICALLY INTERFERED with Bronson Arroyo trying to make the tag. Uribe was completely out of the way and yelled something at Derek Lee. GMAFB, that's a HUGE difference. But thanks for personally attacking me because I disagree with your perspective.

Edited by Jabroni

Nope

And I think that is the first personal attack that I have made in 2-3 years of posting. Although it was pretty tame.

People here just twist everything to try and make their side right. They back up Uribe because he is a Sox player, eventhough I know many of them would be the first to create a thread crying if the same thing happened.

No one here even addresses why they think this is not bush league or beneath the White Sox, they just say it is allowed.

Sb

Ahaha

I didnt know that he cried about me personally attacking him.

Im so sorry I called you a dolt.

Didnt realize I would hurt your feelings with one off the cuff remark because its so frustrating to read your posts that I have to bang my head against my desk to try and get a moment of clarity.

Sb

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Nope

And I think that is the first personal attack that I have made in 2-3 years of posting. Although it was pretty tame.

People here just twist everything to try and make their side right. They back up Uribe because he is a Sox player, eventhough I know many of them would be the first to create a thread crying if the same thing happened.

No one here even addresses why they think this is not bush league or beneath the White Sox, they just say it is allowed.

Sb

Obviously you haven't read any of my posts on the matter then because I said no such thing..

Deal with this crap IN the clubhouse is all I said.

Steff,

Damnit when I talk in generalities its not an invitation for every person to say:

I did not do that.

;P

It just means in general the tone of the thread, and I cant keep track of 7 pages of invidiual posts so I just post in generalizations of what I feel. The tone of the thread was everyone thought it was okay and just fine and dandy.

I do not disagree that it is not against the rules; notice that I said if we were the Cubs that it would be something I would of been happy with.

Just that it is beneath the first place team.

SB

So when the hidden ball trick has been implied in the past all of you 'goody goodies' were outraged. As least I'm assuming you better be because that is 'bush league' GIVE ME A BREAK....

It's also bush league when a pitcher does the fake to 3rd base, throw to 1st base move. :rolly

Once again,

Hidden ball trick is much different than what Uribe did.

Uribe lied, not deception, lieing. Deception is when you do things to make the other team believe something that is not there.

Deception is when you play action, deception is when you make a pick off move to first base, when you pretend at second that a ball is being thrown to you.

The difference between deception and lieing, is that in deception the other team makes moves based on what the percieve you to be doing.

When you lie, ie tell some one it is foul. It is no longer deception.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Just that it is beneath the first place team.

I'm glad I jumped in on this thread when I did!!!

This is some good stuff...this play is beneath us because we are in first place??

Wow we are some cocky SOB's b/c were in first place...the season is only 1/4 over we have a long, long way to go.

And how did we get there? Playing Hard, playin to win, this team has more heart and character than any Sox team in the past 10 years.

If youre against this play, which was harmless IMO, you would definitely be against having AJ Pierz as your catcher too...do you have any idea how he acts behind the plate? There is a reason hes a good catcher...

Once again, straw man argument for Jabroni and people wonder why im frustrated.

I never said it was not allowed, just that it was beneath the White Sox.

You want to argue, argue against that argument.

Do not keep saying that I said its wrong, or not allowed.

Its f***ing annoying as hell.

SB

Every team in the major leagues tries to deke players, even the Cubs. Outfielders when they don't have a chance to catch a ball will stick their gloves in the air like they are about to make a catch to try and hold the runner to 1 base. When there is a runner on and a groundball goes through the infield, middle infielders will fake trying to turn a DP to get the runner to slide, stopping him from advancing a base. When there is going to be a play at a base, the guy who is going to be making the tag will act like there is no play to get the runner to ease up. Outfielders knowingly trap a ball and act like they caught it. What Uribe did is no different from that. In fact, the crowd noise clearly indicated the ball was fair. Dusty calling it baseball ettiquette is hilarious to me.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
To be honest.. I think I initially thought that ball was foul.. anyone else..??  :huh

I definitely thought it was foul, mostly because Paulie was holding the runner and still couldnt get to the ball...also liners hit directly over the bag are almost always called foul by the umpires nowadays.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Hilarious comparison?

I think the only dolt in the thread is you.

Generally players have a right to the basepath, so if they make contact in that fashion it is legal. A-Rod went beyond this, and tried to purposefully make the ball fall out of the players mit.

Compare to Uribe:

Players generally can fake out a player. But it is far different to tell a player, "Hey that was foul".

You know most people think the opponent has honor, and if they are saying its foul its because that is the way they would want to be treated. He tricked Lee, and that is bush league.

Half the people in this thread would of been crying if it had gone against the Sox, ie Perez told Uribe it was a foul ball and Uribe stopped running.

Maybe no one has class anymore, who knows.

SB

it is a pretty bad comparison, as A-Rod swatted at Bronson Arroyo's glove and knocked the ball loose. Uribe just held up his hands and might have said something.

it's not the most moral (for lack of a better word) thing to do, and if it had happened to the Sox, I'd be mad at the baserunner over anyone else, for not looking at the 3rd base coach and trusting the other team's player (then again, sometimes Joey Cora can betray that trust)

EDIT: and how do we know that Uribe didn't know it was fair? his reaction in the dugout didn't say anything, one of those "hey, it worked, I'll take it" reactions.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
I definitely thought it was foul, mostly because Paulie was holding the runner and still couldnt get to the ball...also liners hit directly over the bag are almost always called foul by the umpires nowadays.

Maybe Juan thought it was foul also.. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
To be honest.. I think I initially thought that ball was foul.. anyone else..??  :huh

I thought it was fair, but I had a great angle, and I thought Konerko should have had it. Derek Lee would have caught it. Uribe, for all we know might have thought is was foul.

If Uribe thought it was foul then what he did was not wrong.

Not that hard to understand that part of it being a lie or a trick is that you are knowingly doing it.

Edit:

Made a mistake saying "fair"

Deceit:

Deliberate and misleading concealment,

Concealement.

As I stated before, concealment is different than making a false statement. Not really a fine line, just a basic understanding of the difference between deception and lieing.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 23, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Once again,

Hidden ball trick is much different than what Uribe did.

Uribe lied, not deception, lieing. Deception is when you do things to make the other team believe something that is not there.

Deception is when you play action, deception is when you make a pick off move to first base, when you pretend at second that a ball is being thrown to you.

The difference between deception and lieing, is that in deception the other team makes moves based on what the percieve you to be doing.

When you lie, ie tell some one it is foul. It is no longer deception.

SB

So by this definition deception is not lying?

deception

n 1: a misleading falsehood [syn: misrepresentation, deceit] 2: the act of deceiving [syn: deceit, dissembling, dissimulation] 3: an illusory feat; considered magical by naive observers [syn: magic trick, conjuring trick, trick, magic, legerdemain, conjuration, illusion]

Hmm...youre walking a real fine line there...

Deception = classy lying; hmm, i'll make sure to remember that one

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
I thought it was fair, but I had a great angle, and I thought Konerko should have had it. Derek Lee would have caught it. Uribe, for all we know might have thought is was foul.

We were sitting right behind the Cubs dugout, which would normally be an awesome line.. but I had Godzilla sitting in front of me. Every way I leaned.. he leaned.

By the way.. I failed to mention this but on Saturday I got the look of death from Carlos twice.. once when I asked him "what are you looking at up there...??? " and a second time when I said "does anyone know what marycon means...?" within his earshot.. I forgot who told me to say that but it was priceless. We took my boss and his 6 year old and a group of jerkoffs behind us kept screaming how the "effing umps" were giving the "effing Sox" all the "good calls". They shut the hell up when we took the lead and I offered them tissues.. :lol: