Buehrle Comparison

Wedge

I remember reading an article in either SI or ESPN back in maybe 2001 or 2002 about comparisons for some young, promising pitchers at the time. I remember in that one they compared Wood to Nolan Ryan.

But one from that article that always stuck in my mind was that they said Buehrle was projected to be the next David Cone.

Here's an article about DC's career:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib.../Cone_David.stm

and one with the breakdown of his stats:

http://slam.canoe.ca/BaseballGreatPerforma..._conestats.html

Something interesting is that they're both from Missouri. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty decent comparison, considering how Buehrle has played out the last few years. Anybody have any other good comparisons?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Sandy Koufax?  how's that?  Everything I have ever read about Sandy, Mark sounds nothing like him.

I really dont see that at all...If were gonna go in the way back machine I would have to say Warren Spahn is a better comparison...But now I'm just pulling names out of a hat...

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
From what I've heard, Koufax was more dominant. 

MB = Maddux is a better comparison.  Consistent, consistent, consistent.  Always prepared.  Always around the plate.  Always solid.  What more could you want? :gosox4:

I do like the lefty Maddux comparision. That is very solid.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Speaking of Pierce he should be in the HOF if he played in NY he would already be in

That's exactly why the mention of Pierce brought Ford to my mind. Compare their stats.