Shingo Takatsu

Ozzie Montana

Yesterday DJ said that one of the reasons Tak is struggling is becasue his pitching coach from Japan is not here. I Honestly see him as dead weight. He obviously is not turning it around. The hitters are sitting on his fastball and killing it it and he can no longer throw the frisbee for a strike. He is getting murdered out there. The only reason I see keeping him is to encourage that pitcher from Japan(I forget his name), who's supposed to be good, to come to the Sox. But I see no other reason for keeping him. (He's got nothing left KW!) :headshake

Maybe we can deal him to a desperate team out there and get some decent prospects.

1) We want to encourage other Japanese players to play for us now, and in the future years, not only Daisuke Matzusuka. Dealing Shingo won't make us look favorable to them.

2) How will this impact Iguchi?

3) Who would trade for him?

4) Would we actually get any good prospects?

How do you figure "he is done?" WOW he had 2 horible outings this year, whipty f***en do. Why not trade Viz, why not get rid or Buehrle, or El Duque, or Garcia, they have all sucked atleast once this year. Tell me of a pitcher that never has a bad day. And dead weight??? Are you kidding me? Yea, his ERA is a little high right now, but he is no worse then Timo, or like I said before Viz. If you look at Shingo's stats, and you take out Shingo's 2 bad outings his era is a little over 2.50, which is pretty f***en good last time i checked. I agree that Shingo shouldn't be put in any pressure situation right now, but that doesn't mean we just trade him right now. So all in all he has had 2 bad outings, which is no reason to trade him for nothing in return.

QUOTE(Beastly @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
They've found him out...its that simple.

Actually that's not it at all. Shingo just doesn't have the control he did last year, this year his frisbee isn't even close to the strike zone when last year it was atleast enticing when missing the zone, last year he located his fastball beautifully on the corners this year he can't do that either. Shingo's problem is his control no doubt about that. I personally think it'd be stupid to trade Shingo, first off and most importantly he won't net us any value so it's pointless considering it might effect Iguchi's performance and effect our chances at bringing in more Japanese talent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 30, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
The Score is reporting that Shingo may be sent down to Charlotte next week to make room for El Duque and Ross Gload.

that is not gonna happen. Walker will be sent down once Gload is ready and when El Duque comes off the DL than it will either be Perez or Harris who will be sent down. My money is on Timo. You can't carry 10 pitchers and quite frankly Shingo has been pitching better lately. Besides this outing he has done well in May.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
The Score is reporting that Shingo may be sent down to Charlotte next week to make room for El Duque and Ross Gload.

From the Southtown;

ARLINGTON, Texas — The White Sox's plan for Shingo Takatsu was simple enough: Find opportunities for the former closer to regain his confidence.

It didn't happen Sunday. In the eighth inning of a 12-4 loss to Texas, Takatsu got knocked around for four runs and four hits.

Now Takatsu — who converted eight of nine save chances before losing his closing job to Dustin Hermanson — is 0-2 with a 6.91 ERA, and it's possible he could be shipped to Triple-A Charlotte to clear room for starting pitcher Orlando Hernandez to come off the disabled list later this week.

It's a touchy situation for the Sox and Takatsu, who is earning $2.5 million and is still regarded as a superstar in Japan.

Takatsu has said he would prefer to work out his kinks in tighter situations. But the Sox might not be able to afford him that luxury at the major league level much longer.

Manager Ozzie Guillen was hoping Sunday's work could help Takatsu turn around.

"I got him in that situation to get him back on track, and it didn't happen," Guillen said. "Hopefully, he will bounce back the next time we get him back there."

Takatsu, who relies on off-speed pitches, has had trouble with location. He surrendered homers to Mark Teixeira and Hank Blalock in his one inning Sunday.

"I'm not going to lose faith in the kid," Guillen said. "I'll put him back on the mound. You are not going to get better sitting in the bullpen."

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
How do you figure "he is done?" WOW he had 2 horible outings this year, whipty f***en do.  Why not trade Viz, why not get rid or Buehrle, or El Duque, or Garcia, they have all sucked atleast once this year. Tell me of a pitcher that never has a bad day.  And dead weight??? Are you kidding me? Yea, his ERA is a little high right now, but he is no worse then Timo, or like I said before Viz.  If you look at Shingo's stats, and you take out Shingo's 2 bad outings his era is a little over 2.50, which is pretty f***en good last time i checked.  I agree that Shingo shouldn't be put in any pressure situation right now, but that doesn't mean we just trade him right now.  So all in all he has had 2 bad outings, which is no reason to trade him for nothing in return.

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, from the Koch-lovers. "Take away those 6 blown saves from Koch and his other 2 outings are downright dominating." Ugh :puke !

And what does Timo have to do with ERA's, Vizcaino, and Ta-KOCH-su? :huh

Are you kidding me? Why do we have to treat Japanese players with kid gloves on? If the team feels s***go needs to be sent down, then they should do it. If that makes him feel 'disrespected' or whatever and it scares away other Japanese players, then those aren't the kind of players we need on this team anyway. If you perform, you'll play, if you don't, we'll make changes. Send a message Kenny.

Regardless of how he has played this year, its shocking to see a player who did so well last year treated so poorly.

Who's scoreless inning streak were we riding last year?

He has lost his control a little, and quite frankly almost every game Ive seen him got rocked the ump has been calling a tight strike zone. Thats no excuse, but the margin for error is so small in the majors that I think Shingo just needs to refine his stuff and he will be effective again.

He has a no trade clause, so trading him to anywhere but the NY or the West Coast will probably be impossible (I wonder if hed waive for Seattle or SF, etc.)

The reality is the Sox need to help Shingo get back on track, because otherwise we are Hermanson or bust.

SB

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, from the Koch-lovers. "Take away those 6 blown saves from Koch and his other 2 outings are downright dominating." Ugh  :puke !

And what does Timo have to do with ERA's, Vizcaino, and Ta-KOCH-su?  :huh

First of all, Shingo has only had 2 bad outings, if you can read, you would have known thats what I said. He hasnt blown 6 saves, like your example is stating, and he had one good year with the sox, koch, has not. Shingo is a good pitcher for the sox and he is valuble, no matter what you think. I am just stating the facts, he only did bad twice, not 6 times. And the reason I brought up timo is because we were talkin about people that arnt good for this team....so next time before you start to think your a hard ass and you no what you are talking about, maybe you should read the tread before make such inaccurate remarks. :chair :bang

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 30, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Regardless of how he has played this year, its shocking to see a player who did so well last year treated so poorly.

He has lost his control a little, and quite frankly almost every game Ive seen him got rocked the ump has been calling a tight strike zone. Thats no excuse, but the margin for error is so small in the majors that I think Shingo just needs to refine his stuff and he will be effective again.

He has a no trade clause, so trading him to anywhere but the NY or the West Coast will probably be impossible (I wonder if hed waive for Seattle or SF, etc.)

The reality is the Sox need to help Shingo get back on track, because otherwise we are Hermanson or bust.

SB

Treated so poorly, by whom?

I agree with you and I think the team has been doing a good job of trying to get him back on track by putting him in less pressured situations. If the next part of the process includes a brief stint in the minors, then so be it. Shingo has always had a good attitude about his role and seems to respect Ozzie, he'll be fine with it.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 30, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

SB

What's he done for us recently?

I think it has more to do with shingo's control problems than it has to do with hitters figuring him out. This year he has had 0 control of his breaking stuff. So he's forced to throw fastballs for strikes. Last year he mastered the frisbee and could keep hiters on thier toes. If he can get control of his slow stuff again he can be useful. I think charlotte's a good place for that.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 30, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Shingo has always had a good attitude about his role and seems to respect Ozzie, he'll be fine with it.

I think that's it right there. Shingo has always said he wants to whatever it is he can to help the team. Right now, that may be getting his s*** together in AAA. And, better now while we are still riding high with Hermanson than later if/when he hits a rough patch.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 30, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I think it has more to do with shingo's control problems than it has to do with hitters figuring him out.  This year he has had 0 control of his breaking stuff.  So he's forced to throw fastballs for strikes.  Last year he mastered the frisbee and could keep hiters on thier toes.  If he can get control of his slow stuff again he can be useful.  I think charlotte's a good place for that.

I agree. Last year and this off-season, I was always saying that I hope he doesn't get figured out by hitters once they see him a few times. But, I really don't think it is so much the case as is loss of control and spotting his fastball. He earned the name Mr. Zero in Japan for a reason. I think the best thing for him is to go down to Charlotte where he can get some consistent innings and straighten things out. Shingo in a way reminds me of Foulke, as far as he will just need to adjust back to the hitters once he gets himself together. That was always a big thing for Foulke since he really only threw the two pitches.