Sox 3rd in AL Offense....

beck72

The sox are 3rd in the AL in runs vs LHP, with splits of .299/.362/.488 in 418 ab's. Though a bigger concern is them being 11th vs RHP, with splits of .235/.302/.367 in 1227 ab's. Seeing how the sox will hit off mostly RHP's, they need to improve a lot in this dept.

Frank's return may help a bit, as may Gload's. Yet with guys like Crede, Uribe, Everett--CArl's .189 avg vs. RHP is way off his career avgs--showing great differences in their splits, and bench guys Harris [.250] Ozuna [.154] and Timo [.195] almost worthless vs RHP, the sox could use some help from the Left side. If the sox don't improve their numbers vs RHP by the deadline, a deal of some sort will have to be made for a guy who can be a regular in the lineup.

A few guys who have been mentioned who could help--Mackowiak [hitting very well vs RHP, .345 with over a .400 obp and good slg. %] Chavez [slow this yr, but good splits vs RHP in the past; but a monstrous contract]; Any other LH bats [or switch hitters who hit well vs LHP] who could see some regular playing time come the deadline?

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
The sox are 3rd in the AL in runs vs LHP, with splits of .299/.362/.488 in 418 ab's. Though a bigger concern is them being 11th vs RHP, with splits of .235/.302/.367 in 1227 ab's. Seeing how the sox will hit off mostly RHP's, they need to improve a lot in this dept.

Frank's return may help a bit, as may Gload's. Yet with guys like Crede, Uribe, Everett--CArl's .189 avg vs. RHP is way off his career avgs--showing great differences in their splits, and bench guys Harris [.250] Ozuna [.154] and Timo [.195] almost worthless vs RHP, the sox could use some help from the Left side. If the sox don't improve their numbers vs RHP by the deadline, a deal of some sort will have to be made for a guy who can be a regular in the lineup.

A few guys who have been mentioned who could help--Mackowiak [hitting very well vs RHP, .345 with over a .400 obp and good slg. %] Chavez [slow this yr, but good splits vs RHP in the past; but a monstrous contract]; Any other LH bats [or switch hitters who hit well vs LHP] who could see some regular playing time come the deadline?

Mackowiak would be a nice addition to this team not only because he can hit RHP, but he is a left-handed bat. And he could play third base for Cruddy.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
Mackowiak would be a nice addition to this team not only because he can hit RHP, but he is a left-handed bat. And he could play third base for Cruddy.

He's also a total Cub killer.

Can Mackoviak play a decent 3rd? If he can I agree that he'd be a nice pickup. That being said I don't know if he'd cost much in terms of prospects.

Personally I wouldn't mind picking up Mackoviak and Lawton. Of course the Sox have Jermaine Dye and well its not an option because of that.

Isn't he from the Chicago area too?

Yep, Mackowiak is from Oak Lawn, Illinois and he went to South Suburban Junior College. He also grew up a Sox fan.

I would trade Willie Harris and prospect(s) for Mackowiak because he can play 2B, 3B, LF, CF, and RF. He could start at 3rd base in place of Cruddy, he could play some 2nd base to give Iguchi a day off, and he could play RF in place of Dye against righties. Mackowiak can hit and run. He would be the perfect utility man for us to add. I pray that Kenny is looking at him. :pray

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Can Mackoviak play a decent 3rd?  If he can I agree that he'd be a nice pickup. That being said I don't know if he'd cost much in terms of prospects.

Personally I wouldn't mind picking up Mackoviak and Lawton.  Of course the Sox have Jermaine Dye and well its not an option because of that.

If the Sox got a guy like Mackowiak, they wouldn't have to trade Crede. Even if Mackowiak was a lesser 3b man [his numbers don't look too bad there], Crede could always come in as a defensive replacement. Joe could also hit vs LHP, as his numbers are stronger there.

Lawton, though, is getting ripped by the Pitt fans over on their mlb board, as a slug defensively [which is his rep], and only out for his offense. While his bat looks good, he doesn't fit the style of the current sox. Mackowiak seems like a fit

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
I would trade Willie Harris and prospect(s) for Mackowiak because he can play 2B, 3B, LF, CF, and RF.  He could start at 3rd base in place of Cruddy, he could play some 2nd base to give Iguchi a day off, and he could play RF in place of Dye against righties.  Mackowiak can hit and run.  He would be the perfect utility man for us to add.  I pray that Kenny is looking at him. :pray

The pirates are looking to have Freddy Sanchez play some SS, with Wilson struggling. With Bobby Hill and Sanchez able to play at least another position besides 2b, they may want a leadoff type hitter in Willie. Though they could also use a big bat. Though they need another 3bman besides Wigginton, I wouldn't trade Crede straight up for Mackowiak. He seems like a utility guy who could play 4 times a week, not an everyday player

A bonus, he'd make Timo expendable as well :D

The pirates are looking to have Freddy Sanchez play some SS, with Wilson struggling. With Bobby Hill and Sanchez able to play at least another position besides 2b, they may want  a leadoff type hitter in Willie. Though they could also use a big bat. Though they need another 3bman besides Wigginton, I wouldn't trade Crede straight up for Mackowiak. He seems like a utility guy who could play 4 times a week, not an everyday player

A bonus, he'd make Timo expendable as well  :D

Exactly what I was thinking about Willie. Hell, throw in Borchard and a decent prospect (since I don't consider Borchard a decent prospect :lol:).

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Exactly what I was thinking about Willie.  Hell, throw in Borchard and a decent prospect (since I don't consider Borchard a decent prospect  :lol:).

The Sox SS in AA, Andy/ Angel Gonzalez may be a decent fit for them, esp with Valido coming on strong in high A [roids notwithstanding].

It wouldn't take much to strike a deal with Pitt, if the Sox wanted Mack.