The wizzard of OZ?

Be Good

Guest JimH
1.)  Everett should have pinch-hit for Frank instead of Timo when Frank got hurt.

2.)  Once Buehrle gave up a hit in the 9th inning, he should have been immediately pulled for our closer, Dustin Hermanson.

Hermanson was supposedly unable to go after warming up, per Guillen in the post game show.

As for Everett pinch hitting for Frank, I agree but maybe it was a match up situation vs. that pitcher. Who knows.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If in fact Hermanson informed Guillen he couldn't pitch after warming up - as it sounded like Guillen said on the post game - then the handling of the pitchers makes more sense.

Did not know that. The pinch-hitting Timo for Frank and Everett for Iguchi was still a mistake. Everett should have pinch-hit for Frank and Iguchi should have never been pinch-hit for. Ozzie got lucky that Timo finally pulled a hit out of his ass after hitting below the Mendoza line for most of the season.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Did not know that.  The pinch-hitting Timo for Frank and Everett for Iguchi was still a mistake.  Everett should have pinch-hit for Frank and Iguchi should have never been pinch-hit for.

Me neither. I was sitting fairly close to the Sox pen and he was warming up by himself for a good little while. Me and everyone around were debating whether it was gonna be Hermey or MB in the 9th. When they put in Marte we were all kinda surprised. I guess now I have my answer as to why.

Guest JimH
Did not know that.  The pinch-hitting Timo for Frank and Everett for Iguchi was still a mistake.  Everett should have pinch-hit for Frank and Iguchi should have never been pinch-hit for.

The biggest issue for me in retrospect is having Everett PH for Iguchi. I can see him wanting the lefty matchup vs. Shields but Iguchi is a good contact hitter. Curious decision at best IMO.

By the way, I wonder how things are at angelstalk.com, I wonder how they feel about Scocia leaving their pitcher in after he walked Crede after getting him down 0-2? Or not bringing in a lefty to face Timo Perez?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
The biggest issue for me in retrospect is having Everett PH for Iguchi.  I can see him wanting the lefty matchup vs. Shields but Iguchi is a good contact hitter.  Curious decision at best IMO.

By the way, I wonder how things are at angelstalk.com, I wonder how they feel about Scocia leaving their pitcher in after he walked Crede after getting him down 0-2?  Or not bringing in a lefty to face Timo Perez?

great post jim. it go's both ways with scocia and ozzie. one day ozzie is a asshole next day hes the best.

Guest JimH

I will say this though, they need to figure out a way to jumpstart this offense, and fast.

Harrelson and Jackson commented on this during the game, they squandered big opportunities three times. Personally I think the worst at bat of all was Widger's, striking out on three pitches after going up 3-0. I give credit to Washburn and the Angel pitching coach (who is excellent by the way, Bud Black), but Widger for some unknown reason failed to shorten up his swing. Tough to blame a guy who plays so sporadically but that was a bad at bat.

I will say this though, they need to figure out a way to jumpstart this offense, and fast.

Harrelson and Jackson commented on this during the game, they squandered big opportunities three times.  Personally I think the worst at bat of all was Widger's, striking out on three pitches after going up 3-0.  I give credit to Washburn and the Angel pitching coach (who is excellent by the way, Bud Black), but Widger for some unknown reason failed to shorten up his swing.  Tough to blame a guy who plays so sporadically but that was a bad at bat.

That Widger AB was disappointing but I can't really be mad at him. He has been one of our best hitters, in limited AB's of course.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Hmmm, so a manager can't make good decisions one day and absolutely horrible decisions the next (like today)?

all i'm saying is on this board one day ozzie is great one day and bad the next. he has made mistakes but what manager has not. just my two cents. may sound dumb to you but oh well.

Guest JimH
Hmmm, so a manager can't make good decisions one day and absolutely horrible decisions the next (like today)?

It comes down to your two issues:

1. Timo PH for Frank instead of Everett

2. Everett pinch hitting for Iguchi in the 9th

(now that you know Hermanson couldn't go).

In both cases he puts a lefthanded hitter to face a RH pitcher, once because he had to (Frank hurt).

Is it possible something was wrong with Iguchi, i.e. his hand? Not looking to make excuses but maybe there's a legit reason you don't know about, and maybe just maybe it wasn't an absoutely horrible decision(s)?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)

Harrelson and Jackson commented on this during the game, they squandered big opportunities three times.  Personally I think the worst at bat of all was Widger's, striking out on three pitches after going up 3-0.  I give credit to Washburn and the Angel pitching coach (who is excellent by the way, Bud Black), but Widger for some unknown reason failed to shorten up his swing.  Tough to blame a guy who plays so sporadically but that was a bad at bat.

They squandered a ton of opportunities today but I got a feeling they're going to get it going soon atleast a lot of our guys swung the bat well today, Juan took some good swings today, aaron looked great, dye was staying with the ball, scotty was good, Crede still looks lost and Pauly was horrendous. Frank's swing looked fantastic today I hope he's healthy to get right back in there in a few days cause he looked damn good at the plate today imo.

Guest JimH
all i'm saying is on this board one day ozzie is great one day and bad the next. he has made mistakes but what manager has not. just my two cents. may sound dumb to you but oh well.

That's the nature of this board and I suspect other boards as well. There is a lot of screaming and yelling over decisions made but then after the game some pertinent info comes out and then it's "oh".

Generally it's better to reserve judgement and going off a ledge until one knows the whole story, but that's not the way of this board if you know what I'm sayin'.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
That's the nature of this board and I suspect other boards as well.  There is a lot of screaming and yelling over decisions made but then after the game some pertinent info comes out and then it's "oh".

Generally it's better to reserve judgement and going off a ledge until one knows the whole story, but that's not the way of this board if you know what I'm sayin'.

i like too know the facts before opening my trap. :D

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)

I agree with you for the most part but taking out your best hitter to put in a stuggling carl everett just because he's left handed was a horrendous decision. I almost threw a baseball through my aunts tv when I saw he did that, I don't think she would have liked that :P

Guest JimH

If there's no other info, i.e. there was nothing wrong with Iguchi, I agree that it was a strange decision to yank arguable your best contact hitter for a struggling Carl Everett, especially since Shields made Everett look bad just last week.

It's not as if they needed a 3 run homer, all they needed was a basehit ... as we all saw in the subsequent at bat.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
I agree with you for the most part but taking out your best hitter to put in a stuggling carl everett just because he's left handed was a horrendous decision.  I almost threw a baseball through my aunts tv when I saw he did that, I don't think she would have liked that :P

your very right. but if carl would have got the game winning hit then there would be no b****ing about taking out the best hitter. its a no win situation. :D

Guest JimH

To me the worst managing of the day was Mike Sciocia leaving Shields in the game after he walked the first two guys.

I don't think the Angel pen was that depleted ... ?

If I'm an Angel fan, I really question his bottom of the 9th managing.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
your very right. but if carl would have got the game winning hit then there would be no b****ing about taking out the best hitter. its a no win situation.  :D

I would have brought it up and I'm not just bulls***ting you either. It just made absolutely no sense, ozzie is just in love with the matchup game and it bites him in the ass a lot. Honestly, I love ozzie's style and I love his aggressiveness with this team but that move was terrible and it almost cost us the game. Hopefully he'll never ever do that again.

Guest JimH

One more thing ...

If you are Timo Perez and Carl Everett right now you are probably saying "my manager believes in me". That's a good thing.

If you are Tadahito Iguchi and it's explained to you the reason why you're pinch hit for is to get the lefty-right match up, you're probably pissed but you're damn well motivated for tomorrow.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 30, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
To me the worst managing of the day was Mike Sciocia leaving Shields in the game after he walked the first two guys.

I don't think the Angel pen was that depleted ... ?

If I'm an Angel fan, I really question his bottom of the 9th managing.

Shields is their closer with K-Rod on the DL. You sink or swim with him in that situation no matter what. Any manager would do the same.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
I would have brought it up and I'm not just bulls***ting you either.  It just made absolutely no sense, ozzie is just in love with the matchup game and it bites him in the ass a lot.  Honestly, I love ozzie's style and I love his aggressiveness with this team but that move was terrible and it almost cost us the game.  Hopefully he'll never ever do that again.

your right. i agree. just my thinking outside the box about carl is all.

Guest JimH
Shields is their closer with K-Rod on the DL. You sink or swim with him in that situation no matter what. Any manager would do the same.

Yes, you are probably right.

If Guillen did that with Hermanson, assuming Hermanson could go today, and Hermie walked the first two guys and then lefties come to bat, this board would be screaming after a 5-4 loss "WHY THE f*** DIDN'T OZZIE BRING IN MARTE?!?"

:lol: