The wizzard of OZ?

Be Good

What the hell is he doing? I've been an Oz backer, since he's been here. No after today, not even after a W. What the hell Everret, AJ can't be the DH and PH hit for Frank with his Injury, anyone but Timo. I have no promblem with Buerhle starting the 9th but after the leadoff hit, Hermy needs to come in. Everrett PH for Iguchi. Iguchi's been our best hitter this year, no way Carl should've been in there. Then he leaves Timo, why not pinch hit for AJ. Of course Timo got the lucky hit and all of sudden Ozzie is the wizard of Oz. If Timo got out, all Sox fans would of called for Ozzie's head.

But a win is a win I guess.

:gosox1:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a bad day today for ozzie. he has to get hermey into the game at the latest after dallas bats. if he was going to have crede bunt in the ninth then i don't see why he doesn't send ozuna in. pinch hitting everett for our best hitter iguchi.

luckily we won the game today. hopefully frank isn't hurt bad. i'm just glad they won cause i would have been majorly pissed if they lost today.

QUOTE(Be Good @ May 30, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
What the hell Everret, AJ can't be the DH and PH hit for Frank with his Injury, anyone but Timo.  I have no promblem with Buerhle starting the 9th but after the leadoff hit, Hermy needs to come in.  Everrett PH for Iguchi.  Iguchi's been our best hitter this year, no way Carl should've been in there. 

This was a main problem to me.

Hell Everett can't catch up to any fastballs.

He needs to grab some bench majorly.

I know Iguchi didn't need to blow a DP ball and Marte didn't have to walk in another run, but is everybody happy with his handling of the pitchers?

That 9th inning was the worst handling of pitchers I have ever seen. My dad agreed with me.

I won't rip on Ozzie for letting Buehrle try to finish the game. He had been pitching great and his pitch count wasn't too high (92, I believe). But after Buehrle gave up the first hit, he should have been immediately pulled for Hermanson.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Yossarian @ May 30, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
I know Iguchi didn't need to blow a DP ball and Marte didn't have to walk in another run, but is everybody happy with his handling of the pitchers?

Hermy should have been in after McPhearson...

QUOTE(Yossarian @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)

It's a tough call, as fans we don't have all the info on how players are doing on a day to day basis. I'm sure everyone was yelling for hermey to come in, I know I was, and then I read that he was feeling tight and couldn't go. So you can't blame ozzie for that.

the thing i question is when the sox are down two or three runs and he goes to viz or cotts. This team obviously doesn't score alot so it's critical not to let the other team extend leads. I know you can't pitch marte and pollitte everyday so I think another solid bullpen arm is needed.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
That 9th inning was the worst handling of pitchers I have ever seen.  My dad agreed with me.

I won't rip on Ozzie for letting Buehrle try to finish the game.  He had been pitching great and his pitch count wasn't too high (92, I believe).  But after Buehrle gave up the first hit, he should have been immediately pulled for Hermanson.

I disagree. Ozzie's handling was fine. Iguchi botched a double play, plain and simple.

Putting in Everett for Iguchi however, that was questionable.

I think all of you need to take a step back and relax. I think Ozzie handled today fine. You guys never see the whole picture. EVERYONE of you is yelling about how Ozzie should have got Hermanson to face Quinlan, but NONE of you stop to think that the Angels would have then batted Erstad. I, like Ozzie, would rather take my chances on Quinlan, who up to that point had ZERO HITS with runners in scoring position.

We are fans... It looks so much easier from the stands, or on television, but we don't know the whole situation.

I get tired of all the bashing around here... especially the stuff today that is aimed at Ozzie.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ May 30, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)

He started the inning with Buerle. I thought 'good'. Conventional wisdom would have been take him out after the first runner reached, so that he could not lose. However at that point what do want more than a double play and who better to make it happen than Mark. Sure enough he get the grounder, but it happens to be a high chopper and they only get one out. He stayed with Marte after that and that kept Estad on the bench. Again, it works, but for the Iguchi boot. And after the game, he said Hermanson was not getting loose. I got no problem with the way Ozzie handled the pitchers.

My problem was with who he sent up to the plate. Of course, I don't have the advantage of knowing how certain hitters have fared in the past against certain pitchers. And none of us knew of Frank's hip flexor problem. When he pinch hit for Tad, maybe he was thinking Shields is nasty and Iguchi has seen little of him, whereas Carl, not only had the lefty righty advantage, but has been around more. And it is always difficult to pinch hit with your second catcher. Nobody else can spell Widge if anything happens to him. Mostly I feel good for the Sox, but I especially feel good for Ozzie, as he was put into a difficult position by his defence. Thank god for Oz that it worked out. Hears to Ozzie. :cheers :cheers

I think all of you need to take a step back and relax.  I think Ozzie handled today fine.  You guys never see the whole picture.  EVERYONE of you is yelling about how Ozzie should have got Hermanson to face Quinlan, but NONE of you stop to think that the Angels would have then batted Erstad.  I, like Ozzie, would rather take my chances on Quinlan, who up to that point had ZERO HITS with runners in scoring position. 

We are fans... It looks so much easier from the stands, or on television, but we don't know the whole situation.

I get tired of all the bashing around here... especially the stuff today that is aimed at Ozzie. 

Just my two cents.

You are wrong. That was a poorly managed game of Busty Baker proportions. My dad doesn't even watch much baseball and even he couldn't understand what the hell Ozzie was thinking.

Guest JimH
It's a tough call, as fans we don't have all the info on how players are doing on a day to day basis. I'm sure everyone was yelling for hermey to come in, I know I was, and then I read that he was feeling tight and couldn't go. So you can't blame ozzie for that.

the thing i question is when the sox are down two or three runs and he goes to viz or cotts. This team obviously doesn't score alot so it's critical not to let the other team extend leads. I know you can't pitch marte and pollitte everyday so I think another solid bullpen arm is needed.

Good post, totally agree they need another reliable arm. Everybody else wants one (or two) also, so it's tough to pick somebody up.

Bill Melton commented the Sox are very concerned about Takatsu and privately the Sox are wondering how long they can hold a spot for him ... so maybe they already have someone in mind? We all know KW won't sit still.

As for Guillen's managing today ... very curious to say the least. If Hermanson couldn't go today, then it was a question of do you let Marte pitch to the right handed hitter, knowing if Politte comes in they've got Erstad and Davannon on the bench?

Once again this comes down to they are a guy short in the pen. If Hermanson has the iffy back (which is what I suspect) and they can't rely on Takatsu, they're putting guys in roles they're not used to - Politte as an example. Sometimes that has to be done out of necessity but as one of the posters said, they need another arm down there.

As for Timo pinch hitting for Thomas ... it came down to Timo or Pierzynski. Personally I would've gone with Pierzynski since it was late in the game anyway but let's face it, Guillen has given Timo that pinch hitting role since Gload has been on the shelf.

As for having Crede bunt, Crede needs to learn to get a bunt down, period.

The other thing that needs to be remembered is, the Angels scored twice in the 9th inning. Guillen did not flub the double play grounder, and Guillen did not walk in the lead run.

I thought some of the moves were questionable but if it's true Hermanson couldn't go, it does make more sense.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 30, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
You are wrong.  That was a poorly managed game of Busty Baker proportions.  My dad doesn't even watch much baseball and even he couldn't understand what the hell Ozzie was thinking.

I would like to know what you are thinking then...

How would you have done it differently?

While Ozzie is quite young as a manager and he needs options, is it possible KW gave Ozzie TOO many option? Ozzie has yet to define roles on this team. One night its Hermy the next it's Marte. I think this team would benefite GREATLY if it had a true closer. Yes, Hermy has been spectacular and I agree he should have been in there today, but he's not a defined closer, if that makes any sense. If this team, say, had a Wagner-type, then this 9th inning mix and match stuff would not take place.

Or perhaps Ozzie will just stick with Hermy in the 9th every time, but I doubt it...

Guest JimH

BTW the other Guillen decision I questioned was Everett pinch hitting vs. Shields in the 9th. Shields make Everett look bad last week on some fastballs with movement, and sure enough it happened again today. Iguchi as a contact hitter I thought for sure would hit, not to mention give a chance to redeem himself after the botdhed DP attempt.

Guest JimH

For the record JD you're not wrong, it's your opinion. I too knew they had both Erstad and Davannon on the bench, both noted Sox killers.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
I think all of you need to take a step back and relax.  I think Ozzie handled today fine.  You guys never see the whole picture.  EVERYONE of you is yelling about how Ozzie should have got Hermanson to face Quinlan, but NONE of you stop to think that the Angels would have then batted Erstad.  I, like Ozzie, would rather take my chances on Quinlan, who up to that point had ZERO HITS with runners in scoring position. 

Just my two cents.

great post im sure not all of us realized they had a very scary bat on the bench in erstad BUT..at the same time we have a man in the bullpen who has been the best reliever in baseball bar none with a 000 era in what 20 innings of work?? not 2 mention hes had more than enough rest so that wouldnt have been a factor..buehrle pitched his ass off once again and though i didnt feel it as 2 bad of a decision once ozzie let MB start the 9th but once he gave up the leadoff hit there was absolutely no reason that he shouldnt have let hermy close it..thats my 2 cents and BTW great clutch hitting 2day timo but i still despise u little buddy :headbang

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
How do you explain hitting Carl for Iguchi?  That was retarded.  Our worst hitter curently or our best.    Hmmmmmmmmm :chair

I wouldn't call Everett the worst hitter on this team, but anyways...

Ideas?

A. Maybe Ozzie just wanted the lefty matchup versus Shields.

B. Maybe AJ had the day off regardless of the situation.

C. Maybe Iguchi's head wasn't in the game after the error.

D. Maybe Ozzie just wanted to show Carl a little confidence builder since it looks like he is the odd man out with Thomas returning today.

No matter what his reasoning was, why second guess?

If Everett hits a bomb, everyone is dancing in the streets.

Edited by JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Yossarian @ May 30, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)

His pitching decisions: Leaving in MB for the 9th? I agree. MB's pitch count was still only 92.

Bringing in Marte with 2 men on? Wrong move and 1 baserunner too late. He should have brought in Hermanson ( you remember him oz? the guy who hasn't given up a run all season yet? ) as soon as MB put someone on base.

Guest JimH

If in fact Hermanson informed Guillen he couldn't pitch after warming up - as it sounded like Guillen said on the post game - then the handling of the pitchers makes more sense.

1.) Everett should have pinch-hit for Frank instead of Timo when Frank got hurt. Iguchi should have batted in the bottom of the 9th instead of being pinch-hit for by Everett. Iguchi is currently our team's best hitter. Error or not, he needs to be hitting.

2.) Once Buehrle gave up a hit in the 9th inning, he should have been immediately pulled for our closer, Dustin Hermanson.

Edited by Jabroni