Jokers Wild

southsideirish71

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Seriously??? I think he has made it to several gap shots and short pop ups that would'vve been dropped in previous years.  I think the defense has been good, with the exception of Dye's errors, I think we have caught many balls that we wouldnt have before.  I think that the speed has gotten us several more outs, and the good jumps that we have been getting have spoiled us into thinking balls have to be caught.

Yes, seriously. I've thought our outfield defense has been terrible this year. The throws by our outfielders have been terrible all year. Hell, the best throw of the year, by Pods at Oakland, was screwed by the ump. I don't think Pods has got very good jumps on balls (no shock to anyone who saw him in Milwaukee), Dye has been well below what we expected in RF, and Rowand had dropped some pretty catchable balls. Combine that with Everett's pathetic display in 2 games in the outfield, as well as Timo continuing to show absolutely no range.....and you have the basis of a poor defensive outfield.

I wouldn't trade Uribe's defense for any other SS. There might be some guys who are slightly better, but no one who makes him look like the second coming of Jose Valentin. Uribe's defense at SS may very well be the least of our concerns.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Yes, seriously.  I've thought our outfield defense has been terrible this year.  The throws by our outfielders have been terrible all year.  Hell, the best throw of the year, by Pods at Oakland, was screwed by the ump.  I don't think Pods has got very good jumps on balls (no shock to anyone who saw him in Milwaukee), Dye has been well below what we expected in RF, and Rowand had dropped some pretty catchable balls.  Combine that with Everett's pathetic display in 2 games in the outfield, as well as Timo continuing to show absolutely no range.....and you have the basis of a poor defensive outfield.

I guess maybe I just see it as great because of the HUGE improvement over an OF of Maggs, Lee, Everett, Harris. Spod doesnt get good jumps, but his speed does make up for it. Timo has a canon, no range. A-row catches alot of uncatchable balls and Dye has been uncharacteristically error-prone. As far as the throws go, we havent had a ton of assists, but their ability to throw has ALOT of runnners holding on third.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Still waiting for my answers.

You ignore the facts so any answers based in reality are doomed.

Presented that Randa has a better ZR and fielding percentage, you tell us that Randa is worse than Crede. Based on fact no, based on that you are a member of the Crede's Crewe fanclub for the hitting challenged. So why would any facts based on Uribe being better than Ozuna in the field be processed by you.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
I wouldn't trade Uribe's defense for any other SS.  There might be some guys who are slightly better, but no one who makes him look like the second coming of Jose Valentin.  Uribe's defense at SS may very well be the least of our concerns.

You are right about that, we should worry about his hitting.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
hell yes I agree. I just love your pic and had to comment on it. :D

Actually, I didnt read it that hard. I would say top 10, but not top 3. There is a third baseman in new york who is better than most of the SS in the league. Then you have Tejada, Jeter, Cabrera and a few others that could make the choice really hard.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Actually, I didnt read it that hard. I would say top 10, but not top 3. There is a third baseman in new york who is better than most of the SS in the league.  Then you have Tejada, Jeter, Cabrera and a few others that could make the choice really hard.

I would say OCab is top 5, but not Jeter

I'd say Tejada is close

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
I guess maybe I just see it as great because of the HUGE improvement over an OF of Maggs, Lee, Everett, Harris.  Spod doesnt get good jumps, but his speed does make up for it.  Timo has a canon, no range.  A-row catches alot of uncatchable balls and Dye has been uncharacteristically error-prone.  As far as the throws go, we havent had a ton of assists, but their ability to throw has ALOT of runnners holding on third.

Good points, I can see your comparison with last year. However, we really need to avoid playing Everett in the outfield. He's an absolute liability out there.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Actually, I didnt read it that hard. I would say top 10, but not top 3. There is a third baseman in new york who is better than most of the SS in the league.  Then you have Tejada, Jeter, Cabrera and a few others that could make the choice really hard.

Lol @ of jeter. Now talk about a butcher cheesus lice.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
I guess maybe I just see it as great because of the HUGE improvement over an OF of Maggs, Lee, Everett, Harris.  Spod doesnt get good jumps, but his speed does make up for it.  Timo has a canon, no range.  A-row catches alot of uncatchable balls and Dye has been uncharacteristically error-prone.  As far as the throws go, we havent had a ton of assists, but their ability to throw has ALOT of runnners holding on third.

Agreed. Our outfield defense isn't superb, but it is vastly upgraded from last season. The reputations of the guys out there seems to hold a lot of guys (long singles, guys holding at third). In yesterday's game alone, I think I counted at least 2 balls that Pods got to that Lee would not have.

You ignore the facts so any answers based in reality are doomed. 

Presented that Randa has a better ZR and fielding percentage, you tell us that Randa is worse than Crede.  Based on fact no, based on that you are a member of the Crede's Crewe fanclub for the hitting challenged.  So why would any facts based on Uribe being better than Ozuna in the field be processed by you.

Those stats prove nothing! Nitetrain8601's eyes tell all! I think he is even a MLB talent scout. :headshake

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Lol @ of jeter. Now talk about a butcher cheesus lice.

If he was such a butcher, I dont think he would have 4 rings. He makes the plays he needs to, doesnt kill himself with errors. If Jeter was on any other team than the Yankees, I would really like him. Hell, I still like watching him play. He certainly doesnt make excuses, and he still plays the game hard.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
If he was such a butcher, I dont think he would have 4 rings. He makes the plays he needs to, doesnt kill himself with errors. If Jeter was on any other team than the Yankees, I would really like him. Hell, I still like watching him play.  He certainly doesnt make excuses, and he still plays the game hard.

No, Jeter isn't top 5.

Errors aren't all that matters on D