Jokers Wild

southsideirish71

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
If he was such a butcher, I dont think he would have 4 rings. He makes the plays he needs to, doesnt kill himself with errors. If Jeter was on any other team than the Yankees, I would really like him. Hell, I still like watching him play.  He certainly doesnt make excuses, and he still plays the game hard.

What does his defense have to do with world series victories? Ten others should have won the gold glove before him last year. Now if we are talking about offensive shortstops he is near the top of the list. Defensive not even close. If he didn't dive into the stands he doesn't win that gold glove and i truly believe it.

Edited by qwerty

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I loved this part the most...

"Crede's Crew fanclub for the hitting challenged"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lolhitting

Physics question for you.

My question is if in a vacuum if you drop a bowling ball and watch Cruddys BA over the month of may, which one drops faster?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Physics question for you.

My question is if in a vacuum if you drop a bowling ball and watch Cruddys BA over the month of may, which one drops faster?

I'm not sure, but I think if you turn Shingo's ERA upside that that one goes faster.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
No no not Young.

My top 5, not in order

Tejada, Cabrera, Izturis, Uribe, Renteria

I forgot Renteria.

My top 10 would include A-rod, Tejada, Renteria, Vizquel, Furcal, Guillen, Rollins, Young, OC, Jeter.

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I'm not sure, but I think if you turn Shingo's ERA upside that that one goes faster.

Its like matter and antimatter.

If Shingo was to face Cruddy who would prevail?

The Ircrappable force vs. the Iresistable turd

Oh yeah, because you have seen the type of prospect he was and have seen every one of his games. Not. And again, I didn't say, Ozuna>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Uribe times a trillon. I said I think he's a better fielder. I didn't say he is most definately the best fielder in the game or is vastly better than Uribe at SS. Did I?

You didn't say that Ozuna was a trillion times better defensively at SS than Uribe. You also didn't say that Ozuna is most definately the best fielder in the game or is vastly better than Uribe as SS. But I don't see how any of this matters though because you did in fact say that Ozuna was a better defensive SS than Uribe. You are still wrong.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
You didn't say that Ozuna was a trillion times better defensively at SS than Uribe.  You also didn't say that Ozuna is most definately the best fielder in the game or is vastly better than Uribe as SS.  But I don't see how any of this matters though because you did in fact say that Ozuna was a better defensive SS than Uribe.  You are still wrong.

Thank you for sharing God.

Added to list:

Rodriguez

Rollins

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Young/Jeter>Uribe? :lolhitting

Uh yeah, how could you not say that they are better players than Uribe. Jeter is a no-brainer, I mean, come on. Young has now 2 seasons of .300 ball under his belt and last year had .353 OBP .483 SLG 99 Rbi's Uribe has 2 season's of playing over 100 games and hasnt hit over .300 last year (his best) he had .327 OBP he hit .283 74 rbi's. The only thing he has is that his career high in SLG is .506 which is higher. I think Young is a better player IMO

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
When it comes to defense i realized people look at errors and nothing but errors.

My response was based more on "Top SS", not "Top Defensive SS". I would have had a vastly different answer if I am considering defense only.

First and Foremost I would have Vizquel as my top defensive SS. He may have lost some range due to old age(although it isnt much of a dropoff), but he is still as sure-handed as anyone.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Uh yeah, how could you not say that they are better players than Uribe.  Jeter is a no-brainer, I mean, come on.  Young has now 2 seasons of .300 ball under his belt and last year had .353 OBP .483 SLG  99 Rbi's  Uribe has 2 season's of playing over 100 games and hasnt hit over .300 last year (his best) he had .327 OBP he hit .283 74 rbi's.  The only thing he has is that his career high in SLG is .506 which is higher. I think Young is a better player IMO

He gets RBIs and OBP on defense?

HOLY COW!

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Jeter is so overrated defensively it makes me sick.

OMG HE WON TEH GLOD GLOVE!!!11!!11!!

Trust me, I hate the guy and I do think he's terribly overrated, but he's still a top 5 fielder at his position. I think of him as a Kobe Bryant. Just one guy I don't like, even if he played on my team, but I can't deny his talent.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Trust me, I hate the guy and I do think he's terribly overrated, but he's still a top 5 fielder at his position. I think of him as a Kobe Bryant. Just one guy I don't like, even if he played on my team, but I can't deny his talent.

I'm not gonna deny the guy is great offensively but IMHO he is vastly overrated on defense.

I don't even hate Jeter, either.

Jeter gets to the least balls in baseball from a shortstop and this is not over a one or two year period. More like over his entire career. I don't see why people are in love with him because he can make the routine plays.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
No, I am not God.  But MANY other posters already tried to tell you that you were wrong.  Uribe is a better defensive SS than Ozuna.  I'm sorry we had to break it to you.

I'll wait for many of the posters to jump off the bridge so you'll do it too.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
He gets RBIs and OBP on defense?

HOLY COW!

Didnt know thats what we were debating, thanks for the smartass response. I already said I like Uribe's defense, but a top 5 SS, he isnt. Top ten, yup, I think so. If we were talking better players, then im right.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
No, I am not God.  But MANY other posters already tried to tell you that you were wrong.  Uribe is a better defensive SS than Ozuna.  I'm sorry we had to break it to you.

And Cruddy is so much better defensively that we have to deal with his craptacular bat of despair.

I think Randa and his superior fielding percentage and Zone rating would be ok as a replacement.

Edited by southsideirish71

I'll wait for many of the posters to jump off the bridge so you'll do it too.

Heh, it must suck when you can't just admit defeat and say you were wrong. I guess stats are pretty meaningless if YOUR EYES are the only thing that matters when judging a player's defense. :rolly

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Didnt know thats what we were debating, thanks for the smartass response.  I already said I like Uribe's defense, but a top 5 SS, he isnt.  Top ten, yup, I think so.  If we were talking better players, then im right.

ROFL

It's a joke, lighten up, please.

Of course Uribe isn't a top overall shortstop...:banghead

Uribe isn't a top 5 SS? Who is better, enlighten me.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Jeter gets to the least balls in baseball from a shortstop and this is not over a one or two year period. More like over his entire career. I don't see why people are in love with him because he can make the routine plays.

They just did a piece on ESPN on him. It was something that he makes all the regular plays, and never messes those up, so he is reliable, and therefor great defensively.