*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
"I signed this deal knowing i will be on a contending team, and once the A's become a non-contending team I expects to be dealt to a contender."

Cmon, that doesn't sound like he wants to get out of there at all?

Sounds to me like he realizes that if they don't contend they are going to scrap the team and rebuild and that with his contract what it is he'd be part of the scrapping.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Konerko

Hitting

Konerko goes through painful contortions in the on-deck circle and sometimes looks wooden at the plate. Yet he gets solid plate coverage from a high-maintenance swing that requires constant work in the batting cage. He has good strike-zone judgment but sometimes lacks the bat speed to catch up with good fastballs, especially when they're in on his hands. Konerko hit 29 of his 41 homers at U.S. Cellular, which has become a bandbox since the fences were brought in after 2000.

Baserunning & Defense

There are no Gold Gloves in his trophy case, but Konerko has improved defensively at first base in recent seasons, particularly in scooping throws. He is capable of making the reaction catch on liners but overall lacks range. He is a base-clogger who struggles to go from first to third on most singles.

Edited by RockRaines

I personally like the Randa deal more, We wouldnt give up much for him some people think Crede has more value.... and he is fine defensively and knows the AL Central as well as anyone.

Also it would allow us to either resign Konerko or get a big time player this off-season in either a trade or F/A.

I think like someone said earlier Chavez is dodger bound if anywhere... They would prob take like Brazoban and that pitching prospect of theirs Edwin Jackons or whatevr his name is.

i would be extatic if we got Chavez for BMAC and crede

Chavez is young, and one of the best 3B in the game and he's very consistent (the beginning of this year excluded) and he's just hitting his prime. Crede just sucks... and bmac... well theres the kicker. He's good, but unproven. I would totally give up an unproven pitcher that we DONT NEED THIS YEAR for a player who could propel us to the playoffs/help us when we're there.

it's a no brainer if we really want to win, and i do.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
I personally like the Randa deal more,  We wouldnt give up much for him some people think Crede has more value.... and he is fine defensively and knows the AL Central as well as anyone. 

Also it would allow us to either resign Konerko or get a big time player this off-season in either a trade or F/A.

I think like someone said earlier Chavez is dodger bound if anywhere... They would prob take like Brazoban and that pitching prospect of theirs Edwin Jackons or whatevr his name is.

Heres the thing, overall the Chavez trade benefits us more. With Randa you get an aging player who is injury prone and has a one-year deal. Re-signing Konerko then once again gives you a slow-footed expensive 1B and eats alot of payroll while you still have no real 3B. Chavez may cost more prospect-wise, but you gain an overal defensive improvement, better baserunning and OBP, have an all-star caliber 3B and actually may get better offensively.

1 thing I want people to keep in mind with Chavez is this...

Right now, he's hitting worse than Crede. Crede is hitting .227. Chavez is hitting .218. Chavez's OBP is .276, Crede is at .286. Crede is slugging .368, Chavez is slugging a measly .317.

Yes, Chavez plays better defense. But all of the people saying getting Chavez will certainly make us better no matter what would be wise to remember that he is doing a horrific job in the batter's box this season. Absolutely terrible.

In other words, you're telling us to trade BMac or someone else very high on the list for a guy making $10 million or so a season and who is hitting worse than Joe Crede, because you're making the assumption that this is a temporary thing and not a full-time problem (i.e. long term injury, got off of steroids, or something like that.)

I know Chavez has a record as a positive producer. But right now he is not playing like one. And the last thing I want is for us to be stuck with a guy earning $10 million a year who's career spirals downhill. If we made a deal and he did not return to form, we would be absolutely doomed. For years. We'd lose a ton of salary flexibility, and it would cost us a ton of prospects.

You're betting a hell of a lot (the team's future for 5-10 years) on the fact that Chavez can turn it around.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)

Right now, he's hitting worse than Crede.  Crede is hitting .227.  Chavez is hitting .218.  Chavez's OBP is .276, Crede is at .286.  Crede is slugging .368, Chavez is slugging a measly .317.

Yes, Chavez plays better defense.  But all of the people saying getting Chavez will certainly make us better no matter what would be wise to remember that he is doing a horrific job in the batter's box this season.  Absolutely terrible.

In other words, you're telling us to trade BMac or someone else very high on the list for a guy making $10 million or so a season and who is hitting worse than Joe Crede, because you're making the assumption that this is a temporary thing and not a full-time problem (i.e. long term injury, got off of steroids, or something like that.)

I know Chavez has a record as a positive producer.  But right now he is not playing like one.  And the last thing I want is for us to be stuck with a guy earning $10 million a year who's career spirals downhill.  If we made a deal and he did not return to form, we would be absolutely doomed.  For years.  We'd lose a ton of salary flexibility, and it would cost us a ton of prospects.

You're betting a hell of a lot (the team's future for 5-10 years) on the fact that Chavez can turn it around.

Thank you.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Can someone explain to me why B&B would be interviewing Eric Chavez? They usually interview players from the local teams or from teams currently playing the local ones. Seems a little strange to me.

Also, for those that heard the interview, I'm curious as to what reasons he gave for his struggles?

He was on B&B to promote the MLB package on Direct TV- he is the spokesman for it. When B&B asked about his struggles- he stated he doesn't know what is wrong, but he is a student of the game and constantly watches film to help him out. He said he'll eventually snap out of it.

Right now he is batting .218 with 4 HRs and 23 RBIs. Definitley a down year for him. If a trade does happen I would expect Beane to wait until Chavez gets hot so his market value increases. Although he shouldn't expect too much in return due to his contract status.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)

Right now, he's hitting worse than Crede.  Crede is hitting .227.  Chavez is hitting .218.  Chavez's OBP is .276, Crede is at .286.  Crede is slugging .368, Chavez is slugging a measly .317.

Yes, Chavez plays better defense.  But all of the people saying getting Chavez will certainly make us better no matter what would be wise to remember that he is doing a horrific job in the batter's box this season.  Absolutely terrible.

I know Chavez has a record as a positive producer.  But right now he is not playing like one.  And the last thing I want is for us to be stuck with a guy earning $10 million a year who's career spirals downhill.  If we made a deal and he did not return to form, we would be absolutely doomed.  For years.  We'd lose a ton of salary flexibility, and it would cost us a ton of prospects.

check out careers buddy. it says it all. plus hitting is contagious and his environment in Oakland just sucks right now. i'm betting its not much fun and players seem to do better when they're having fun (see Little Big League)

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
check out careers buddy.  it says it all.  plus hitting is contagious and his environment in Oakland just sucks right now.  i'm betting its not much fun and players seem to do better when they're having fun (see Little Big League)

thank you, i didnt even realize we were going to argue Chavez vs. Crede, come on.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
The one thing I would be willing to bet that Chavez can turn it around on the Sox is because he would have a lot more protection in this line up than what Oakland currently has...

Yes, I'd be willing to bet he'd improve here also. But I would not be willing to bet Brandon McCarthy that he'll turn around.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
If the A's dont eat any of Chavez's salary, than I think at this point you do not trade for him. I think the White Sox could shop a very similar offer around and get a much cheaper player who is doing better this year (Blalock, Hillenbrand, etc).

I am a huge Chavez fan, but $10mil a year is just to much for the Sox to invest unless they are going to raise the payroll next year considerably.

SB

no way in hell rangers trade blalock, IIRC hes signed for a few years at a very cheap price. that being said, if they for some reason do decide to shop him, i would in a second give up Bmac, Anderson, Crede and pretty much whomever else they wanted, lol. Blalock is just an awesome player and young as hell, less than 25 i think.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Yes, I'd be willing to bet he'd improve here also.  But I would not be willing to bet Brandon McCarthy that he'll turn around.

Why? Because Chavez is one of the best at his position and McCarthy has proven nothing at the major league level yet? When you get a chance to trade an unproven prospect for a all-star caliber player who would improve your team drastically, you do it hands down.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Yes, I'd be willing to bet he'd improve here also.  But I would not be willing to bet Brandon McCarthy that he'll turn around.

As much as I like BMac, he is still unproven and I would be more than willing to take that chance on a proven player like Chavez....I'm just saying here.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Why? Because Chavez is one of the best at his position and McCarthy has proven nothing at the major league level yet?  When you get a chance to trade an unproven prospect for a all-star caliber player who would improve your team drastically, you do it hands down.

:headbang :cheers

props for that

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
no way in hell rangers trade blalock,  IIRC hes signed for a few years at a very cheap price. that being said, if they for some reason do decide to shop him, i would in a second give up Bmac, Anderson, Crede and pretty much whomever else they wanted, lol. Blalock is just an awesome player and young as hell, less than 25 i think.

24 Born Nov 21 1980, he is the man.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
check out careers buddy.  it says it all.  plus hitting is contagious and his environment in Oakland just sucks right now.  i'm betting its not much fun and players seem to do better when they're having fun (see Little Big League)

I've made this post at least a dozen times, and even shown the stats, HE HAS NEVER HAD AN OPS OF .900 IN A SEASON YET HE GETS PAID LIKE A SLUGGER. :chair

Edited by santo=dorf