*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I am confident the Nats will be out of it come trade deadline time. I am not saying do it now....wait until trade deadline....maybe by then Crede will get better too....who knows

Nats won't trade one of their "franchise players." He's a face around the city of Washington. He's staying there and probably will retire there. Castilla isn't coming here and I'm glad. And if you wait until the trading deadline, you put yourself at risk of losing more games than you would of if you traded for the player a little earlier(hence KW's theory and reasoning for not waiting until the trade deadline).

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
His batting average also fell 45 points in May, where he managed to get 1 homer and 9 RBI... He is quickly falling back to earth and isn't worth getting.

And despite that he blows away Chavez and Cruddy's #s (see AVG and OBP). And that is all despite playing on a team with very little O around him.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I am confident the Nats will be out of it come trade deadline time. I am not saying do it now....wait until trade deadline....maybe by then Crede will get better too....who knows

I'd rather stick with the guy thats 10 years younger. Outside of his year at Col last year, his last several seasons look sorta like Crede's. Seems like a moot aquisition to me.

Nats won't trade one of their "franchise players." He's a face around the city of Washington. He's staying there and probably will retire there. Castilla isn't coming here and I'm glad. And if you wait until the trading deadline, you put yourself at risk of losing more games than you would of if you traded for the player a little earlier(hence KW's theory and reasoning for not waiting until the trade deadline).

Vinny Castilla is one of the Nats' "franchise players"? :lolhitting

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
And despite that he blows away Chavez and Cruddy's #s (see AVG and OBP). And that is all despite playing on a team with very little O around him.

Blows away???? And who has more O around him, Chavez or Castilla?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
I'd rather stick with the guy thats 10 years younger.  Outside of his year at Col last year, his last several seasons look sorta like Crede's.  Seems like a moot aquisition to me.

So you conveniently did not see this years #s? :rolly

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
So you conveniently did not see this years #s?  :rolly

I was not sure that this year was over yet, that must've been a long nap....If you would like to debate who is the better player Chavez or Castilla, you better come up with a better argument than look at their BA this year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Delgado didn't want to come to this team. He proved it last year when KW traded for him, but he wouldn't decline his no trade clause. Hell they traded for him twice and had Ozzie talk to him and he just didn't want to come.

Just wondering, what players would have been involved in those trades?

As much as I would rather have Castilla than Chavez, Vinny aint going no where. It doesn't matter if the Nats are 20 games out by the trade deadline. As a franchise team, they aren't going to go off and have a fire sale. And even if they do, Castilla is not going to be one of those players dealt.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)

You must be kidding nitetrain. If Castilla is as bad as some people here believe, how can he be their franchise player?

And even if he is the face of the team, it means squat. This is a business. Come trade deadline, when the Nats realize they have no shot at beating the Braves or Marlins, they will be selling.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)

Seriously, have you followed any of Castillas career? he hits at Coors, thats about it. Somehow, even though having a superior BA, Castilla only has 6 more hits than Chavez, 2 more RBIs, same amount of HR, and two more runs scored. And dont even mention the 3 stolen bases that vinny has, Chavez is on a team that does not steal bases whatsoever. I think Pods has more stolen bases now than the entire A's team had last year.

Im still trying to figure out how Chavez has 29 more at bats than Castilla, yet he has only played 2 more games.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
If they fall out of contention, they would trade him in a second.  Castilla is 37 f***ing years old.  You are wrong.

Course I am, you said so.

That was never said, but I'd imagine it was the same players the Sox were trying to trade to Colorado last year for Larry Walker.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)

i have it on good faith that toronto was shipping Delgado to the Sox (twice) for nothing less than Ben Davis and Jose Valentin.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Seriously, have you followed any of Castillas career?  he hits at Coors, thats about it. Somehow, even though having a superior BA, Castilla only has 6 more hits than Chavez, 2 more RBIs, same amount of HR, and two more runs scored. And dont even mention the 3 stolen bases that vinny has, Chavez is on a team that does not steal bases whatsoever. I think Pods has more stolen bases now than the entire A's team had last year.

Im still trying to figure out how Chavez has 29 more at bats than Castilla, yet he has only played 2 more games.

I dont even understand the comparison between Castilla and Chavez, if it was the early 90's I would understand, but as it is, Chavez is not only better offensively and defensively, but he has a larger upside.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
You must be kidding nitetrain. If Castilla is as bad as some people here believe, how can he be their franchise player?

And even if he is the face of the team, it means squat. This is a business. Come trade deadline, when the Nats realize they have no shot at beating the Braves or Marlins, they will be selling.

Again, franchise as in a face for the franchise. I would know, a family member works as an accountant for the franchise. The fans identify with Vinny the most out of any player not named Brad Wilkerson. I also said one of their franchise players, not THEE franchise player(looks like more and more posters can't read for understanding on this board). But again, I must be wrong, Jabroni said so.

Course I am, you said so.

Yeah, cuz we know that the Nationals could never afford to trade a 37 year old who is one of their "franchise players" for prospects if they fall out of contention even though they have Brendan Harris waiting in the wings.

Do you ever use common sense? :headshake

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Again, franchise as in a face for the franchise. I would know, a family member works as an accountant for the franchise. The fans identify with Vinny the most out of any player not named Brad Wilkerson. I also said one of their franchise players, not THEE franchise player(looks like more and more posters can't read for understanding on this board). But again, I must be wrong, Jabroni said so.

Franchise players on expansion teams dont mean anything really. Look at the supposed franchise players that the D-Rays and Diamondbacks stood behind: Wade Boggs and Travis Lee. Boggs was trying to get his 3000th hit and the D-Rays were trying to make headlines. Travis lee is a multiteam journeyman who hasnt really done anything in the majors.

A franchise player defines the team. Vinny Castilla does NOT define the Nats.

Franchise players on expansion teams dont mean anything really. Look at the supposed franchise players that the D-Rays and Diamondbacks stood behind:  Wade Boggs and Travis Lee.  Boggs was trying to get his 3000th hit and the D-Rays were trying to make headlines. Travis lee is a multiteam journeyman who hasnt really done anything in the majors.

A franchise player defines the team. Vinny Castilla does NOT define the Nats.

I don't think Nitetrain knows that the Nationals have 3rd baseman prospect Brendan Harris, whom they got in the Orlando Cabrera trade of last season, waiting in the wings. :rolly

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
Castilla stats outside of Colorado

AVG OBP  SLG OPS

2000 .221 .254 .308 .562

2001 .260 .308 .467 .775

2002 .232 .268 .348 .616

2003 .277 .310 .461 .771

last year in Col

2004 .271 .332 .535 .867

2005 stats? They are outside Coors you know? :rolly

And Cell is Coors lite you know?