*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Castilla stats outside of Colorado

AVG OBP  SLG OPS

2000 .221 .254 .308 .562

2001 .260 .308 .467 .775

2002 .232 .268 .348 .616

2003 .277 .310 .461 .771

last year in Col

2004 .271 .332 .535 .867

just say no, KW

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
2005 stats? They are outside Coors you know?  :rolly

And Cell is Coors lite you know?

i didnt know that season was over yet???? What part of season stats dont you understand, it takes 162 games to complete a season. :bang

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
I dont even understand the comparison between Castilla and Chavez, if it was the early 90's I would understand, but as it is, Chavez is not only better offensively and defensively, but he has a larger upside.

Nobody is comparing Chavez directly to Vinny. Can you read for crying out loud? I have always said I would rather have Vinny + another stud than Chavez. It is all about value (defined as performance/$). Do you even get that?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
i didnt know that season was over yet????  What part of season stats dont you understand, it takes 162 games to complete a season. :bang

But recent stats are a solid indicator too. So when will you be willing to admit his #s are legit for 2005? Afgter 4 months?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
2005 stats? They are outside Coors you know?  :rolly

And Cell is Coors lite you know?

the stats this year look like this

April .347 BA .613 SLG .388 OBP

MAy .245 BA .327 SLG .339 OBP

So how about we go off of his last month? I mean, if the Sox should take him because he had such a good April, then why should they ignore his massive falloff in May?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
You must be kidding nitetrain. If Castilla is as bad as some people here believe, how can he be their franchise player?

And even if he is the face of the team, it means squat. This is a business. Come trade deadline, when the Nats realize they have no shot at beating the Braves or Marlins, they will be selling.

They can't sell to much. They need to keep some name players around to interest prospective new owners.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
I don't think Nitetrain knows that the Nationals have 3rd baseman prospect Brendan Harris, whom they got in the Orlando Cabrera trade of last season, waiting in the wings.   :rolly

Yeah, because a guy who was drafted by the Cubs in the 5th round, then traded to the Mariners, then given back, and then traded again and is a 25 year old who just got demoted back to AAA for Wil Cordero is truly a prospect. What a hell of a prospect there.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
But recent stats are a solid indicator too. So when will you be willing to admit his #s are legit for 2005? Afgter 4 months?

why dont we wait for his stats to keep falling so you can continue this argument. You lost me at what has Eric Chavez ever won......

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
the stats this year look like this

April .347 BA  .613 SLG  .388 OBP

MAy  .245 BA  .327 SLG  .339 OBP

So how about we go off of his last month?    I mean, if the Sox should take him because he had such a good April, then why should they ignore his massive falloff in May?

Maybe because the chances are he will be better than he was in May. If after a bad slump, his #s are so much better than Chavez and Cruddy, that just proves my point. He is worth looking into at the deadline for a stop gap solution.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
color=green]Yeah, because a guy who was drafted by the Cubs in the 5th round, then traded to the Mariners, then given back, and then traded again and is a 25 year old who just got demoted back to AAA for Wil Cordero is truly a prospect.[/color] What a hell of a prospect there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player....layer_id=430593

In his short time in the majors, he hasnt seemed to be all that bad.

And going to the minors to bring up Cordero seems to support the "name player" theory that supernuke presented.

Yeah, because a guy who was drafted by the Cubs in the 5th round, then traded to the Mariners, then given back, and then traded again and is a 25 year old who just got demoted back to AAA for Wil Cordero is truly a prospect. What a hell of a prospect there.

Brendan Harris was never a Mariner. :huh: By the way, he has done awesome in the minors...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/brendan_harris.shtml

And just because he was a 5th round pick means he can't be good? Buehrle was a 38th round pick. :lol:

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Brendan Harris was never a Mariner. :huh: By the way, he has done awesome in the minors...

And just because he was a 5th round pick means he can't be good?  Buehrle was a 38th round pick. :lol:

OK, but still not a "OMG, clear the way for this guy" kind of prospect.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Maybe because the chances are he will be better than he was in May. If after a bad slump, his #s are so much better than Chavez and Cruddy, that just proves my point. He is worth looking into at the deadline for a stop gap solution.

Oh, now he has a slump and will rebound, but not a player whose career numbers suggest that they will. Come on man, are you serious with this argument. Castilla is playing so far above his head this season its ridiculous. I already showed his numbers for the last couple of years, thats his trend, that how he will probably produce. Bringing in a stop gap 37 year old is not the solution nor will it help after this season either. Then you are stuck with NO 3B next year.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)

And just because he was a 5th round pick means he can't be good?  Buehrle was a 38th round pick. :lol:

Must've gotten him mixed up with the other Chicago Cub reject named Brendan Harris who was traded to Seattle. Still doesn't change that fact that he was a throw in in that deal and is a 25 year old who just got demoted for Wil Cordero. Still a hell of a prospect there

I doubt that the Nationals make any signficant move while there are a few bidders willing to offer over $300 million for a team that was bought at less than $200 million.

As for all the why would the Rangers trade Blalock, its because they need pitching and most of the trades that are being suggested include B-Mac. The Rangers have a ton of hitting prospects, and Tex who can play 3b as well, so if they get an offer with a lot of pitching they may be willing to trade 1 of their hitters.

I think the most likely candidates to become available are Hinske or Hillenbrand, as Toronto is starting a rookie 3b, and will have Koskie coming back from injury. When he does they will have an odd man out.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
I doubt that the Nationals make any signficant move while there are a few bidders willing to offer over $300 million for a team that was bought at less than $200 million.

As for all the why would the Rangers trade Blalock, its because they need pitching and most of the trades that are being suggested include B-Mac. The Rangers have a ton of hitting prospects, and Tex who can play 3b as well, so if they get an offer with a lot of pitching they may be willing to trade 1 of their hitters.

I think the most likely candidates to become available are Hinske or Hillenbrand, as Toronto is starting a rookie 3b, and will have Koskie coming back from injury. When he does they will have an odd man out.

SB

I dont know about anyone else, but I would actually rather have Texiera than Blalock

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)

SB

I think either one would be an upgrade currently. Anyone know how their defense is?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
although there was a Zach Day for Juan Encarnacion in the works before Day got injured... so Washington isnt afraid of making moves

But Encarnacion is a name and the kind of veteran hitter that Bowden absolutly loves. If we got Castilla, we more than likely wouldn't be giving up anyone on the 25 man outside of maby Crede.

Must've gotten him mixed up with the other Chicago Cub reject named Brendan Harris who was traded to Seattle. Still doesn't change that fact that he was a throw in in that deal and is a 25 year old who just got demoted for Wil Cordero. Still a hell of a prospect there

So even though Harris' minor league numbers are very good and he was 3 for 9 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's with the Nationals, just because he was demoted so they could bring up Wil Cordero, Harris sucks?

I refuse to believe anyone could be that stupid.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I dont know about anyone else, but I would actually rather have Texiera than Blalock

I dont know this for sure, but I thought I remembered hearing that Texiera wasnt all that good of a defensive player at 3rd. Plus, isnt he a Bora$$ client?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)

How do you know that May is a slump. Maybe he was playing over his head in April and the May numbers are the real Vinny Castila at 37.