*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
So even though Harris' minor league numbers are very good and he was 3 for 9 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's with the Nationals, just because he was demoted so they could bring up Wil Cordero, Harris sucks?

I refuse to believe anyone could be that stupid.

Isn't that the Brendan Harris that was part of the 4 way deal between the Cubs, BoSox, Twins, and Expos. He was a pretty highly rated infield prospect (specifically 3b).

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Chavez would be nice, but am I the only one that doesn't want to give up BMAC? For that fact, I don't want to part with Anderson, Sweeney, or Gio either.

I'm with you on this. I'd opt for a cheaper option who would still get the job done.

I'm getting kind of sick of these threads because most of the same stuff comes up, but what the hell.

I wouldn't really be that upset whether we get him or not. On the get side, it's highly unlikely that he keeps hitting this poorly. He's notoriously a second half hitter and is stuck in a horrendous lineup. Yes, that horrendous needs to be in bold. They only have 4 hitters hitting over .250 (two of them are platoon players), and Eric Chavez is tied for the team lead in HR at 4. Washington is an offensive juggernaut compared to them. Even excluding Vinny's monster start, Johnson, Guillen, and Wilkerson are all hitting considerably better than anyone on Oakland, and Jose Vidro was doing well before he got hurt. On the pass side, his contract is a bit obscene (although roughly the same as Konerko) and it will cost us in terms of prospects. If we can get Oakland to eat a decent sum of money (I'd say at least 30%), that would help considerably. Also, I could live with the prospects as long as we don't touch B-Mac, Anderson, or Gio. He could be a massive upgrade for our team. That type of deal isn't going to happen anytime soon, so we'll see how he hits leading up to the deadline. Judging by his career numbers he should pick it up a bit.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Ok, but Macowiak has hit 0.244, 0.270 and 0.246 the last 3 years with 16,6, and 17 HRs

So his #s over the years are no better than Vinny's. Maybe he too is playing over his head?

You get Mackowiak with him playing vs RHP where his splits have been very good. And Crede stays for his defense

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
"I signed this deal knowing i will be on a contending team, and once the A's become a non-contending team I expects to be dealt to a contender."

Cmon, that doesn't sound like he wants to get out of there at all?

It sounds like he knows that the A's won't want to pay his salary if they aren't a playoff contending team. Going by Mulder's and Hudson's deals, why should Chavez expect Beane to keep his even larger salary around if the A's aren't going to the playoffs for a few years?

guys this thing could be more serious than anyone thought....

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=56482

"With that in mind, take this latest rumor with as many grains of salt as necessary. But don’t deny it has some serious bite.

The White Sox trade starting third baseman Joe Crede and top pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy to the Oakland Athletics for power-hitting, Gold Glove third baseman Eric Chavez.

There’s another rumor indicating the A’s also want minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson,"

"And he wants out of Oakland so bad that he’s the one who apparently is fueling the trade rumor to the Sox."

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
It sounds like he knows that the A's won't want to pay his salary if they aren't a playoff contending team. Going by Mulder's and Hudson's deals, why should Chavez expect Beane to keep his even larger salary around if the A's aren't going to the playoffs for a few years?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:52 AM)
The White Sox trade starting third baseman Joe Crede and top pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy to the Oakland Athletics for power-hitting, Gold Glove third baseman Eric Chavez.

There’s another rumor indicating the A’s also want minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson,"

mmmmm, BMAC and Anderson and Crede. Thats giving up a bit much in my opinion. Maybe a second tier prospect and Bmac, but not two top tier prospects and a major leaguer.

Dont get fleeced KW.

Oakland needs a guy like Brian Anderson [a RH batter who hits for power and avg, good OBP, and defense] even more than they need a guy like BMac. A deal like Crede, Anderson and Sean Tracey could get it done.

No way would the asking price be the Sox top 2 prospects and a major league 3b man. A top prospect, another in the top 10, and Crede should be enough.

rade rumor usually is a joke. Laugh it off, and then wait for the next one to start circulating.

Last season, the White Sox were the focus of some real juicy trade rumors.

They were going to get Randy Johnson. They were going to get Carlos Delgado. They were going to get Cliff Floyd.

Well, the Sox wound up getting Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar — again — so that tells you about all you need to know about the rumor mill.

With that in mind, take this latest rumor with as many grains of salt as necessary. But don’t deny it has some serious bite.

There’s another rumor indicating the A’s also want minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson, but that’s not going to happen. So let’s just focus on the initial rumor.

If it’s true — and that’s a huge if — I’d make it today.

Chavez is having a terrible season; he was batting .218 with 4 home runs and 23 RBI heading into Wednesday’s game against the Tampa Devil Rays.

But the 27-year-old infielder is a proven performer. Entering the season, Chavez had a career .277 batting average, 163 home runs and 543 RBI in six years with Oakland. He also has won four straight Gold Gloves.

Want more?

Chavez missed 33 games last season with a broken bone in his right hand. He suffered the injury getting hit by a pitch from White Sox reliever Damaso Marte on June 1. Chavez wound up playing in 125 games and batted .276 with 29 HR and 77 RBI.

From 2001-03, when he established himself as one of the best third basemen in the game, Chavez averaged 32 home runs and 108 RBI while batting .282. He also hit the third-longest home run in U.S. Cellular Field history, a 490-foot shot off Gary Glover in 2001.

As for his character, which is almost as important as performance for the White Sox these days, Chavez is as solid as they come. He’d be a great fit in an already tight clubhouse.

Crede is a homegrown talent and still has the potential to blossom into an all-star caliber player. But the 27-year-old is off to another sluggish start and is simply not in the same league as Chavez.

As for McCarthy, the 21-year-old starter has been compared to Jack McDowell and Mark Prior. He has the raw stuff, poise and desire, but McCarthy has been serving up home run balls at a pretty alarming rate. He allowed 5 in 2 starts (10º innings) with the Sox and has given up 9 homers in 47¿ innings at Class AAA Charlotte.

There’s a good chance McCarthy will continue developing and one day achieve ace status.

But there’s a reason why this trade rumor is so appealing.

Simply put, general manager Kenny Williams is obsessed with getting the White Sox their first World Series championship since 1917. He is not interested in waiting for talent to maximize ability.

With Oakland already buried in the AL West basement, Chavez is there for the taking. And he wants out of Oakland so bad that he’s the one who apparently is fueling the trade rumor to the Sox.

Of course, there is one big catch. Chavez is only in the second season of a six-year, $66 million contract. But if the White Sox continue winning, the fans are going to be packing the Cell this summer.

And if Chavez is in the starting lineup, they’re going to watching a team that should be favored to win the World Series.

© 2005 Daily Herald, Paddock Publications, Inc.

Privacy Policy | AP Copyright Top | Home | Search | Feedback

PAST COLUMNS

> Whether rumor or reality, trade for Chavez would do wonders

> ‘Mr. Perfect’ Iguchi proving a perfect fit at No. 2 spot in lineup

> Will Perez draw short straw to make room for Thomas?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
what???  theres been a ton of speculation but... show me a link or something

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=56482

"With that in mind, take this latest rumor with as many grains of salt as necessary. But don’t deny it has some serious bite.

"And he wants out of Oakland so bad that he’s the one who apparently is fueling the trade rumor to the Sox."

that last part is interesting... he wants to play here? i thought it was LA

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
I'd rather trade Sweeney than Anderson, but it most likely wouldn't be what Billy Beane-o was looking for.

Really?! I'm not so up on the minors but I always read that Sweeney is more of a talent than Anderson. Anderson just has some years on him.