Ozzie's Attitude

fathom

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
Ozzie could win the Nobel Peace Prize and he'd still get flamed by some on here for every little thing he does.

If you were Ozzie, would you have accepted Brantley's apology?

I understand being mad, but at the same time you got to undertand its there job to critique things. And in this case Brantley was dead on. Brantley is usually an idiot, but not this time.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares? Hell, Larry Brown, one of the most esteemed and respected coaches in the NBA, blew up at a reporter recently when asked about taking the FO job with the Cavs. Everybody is going to have their bad moments where they aren't going to take tough questions very well. Sometimes it seems like some people forget that coaches, managers, GMs, etc. are still human.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
Who cares? Hell, Larry Brown, one of the most esteemed and respected coaches in the NBA, blew up at a reporter recently when asked about taking the FO job with the Cavs. Everybody is going to have their bad moments where they aren't going to take tough questions very well. Sometimes it seems like some people forget that coaches, managers, GMs, etc. are still human.

Exactly. Coaches and managers aren't paid to be congenial team spokesmen. They have to assume that role occasionally, but I can sympathize with anyone who has to deal with media hounds on a regular basis. Put yourself in their place, and I'm sure you can imagine getting ticked off at all the constant bulls***.

Case in point: I remember a post game interview a couple weeks ago, and the dumb s*** reporter asked Ozzie, "What are you going to do with Konerko?" That was it. What a dumb ass question. Ozzie just said, "I'm going to play him." What the hell did the reporter expect Ozzie to say? That was just a backhanded way of reminding Ozzie that PK was in a slump. Like Ozzie doesn't already know that.

Edited by nvxplorer

Several Notes:

1. Ozzie should've walked into the locker room after the game, told the players to enjoy their day off and said the loss was 100% his fault. Ozzie should have told the players all the blame for the loss is his own.

2. If you think Jeff Brantley was tough, wait until October (if the Sox can actually hold on), when every pitch is analyzed. Ozzie will be really under the microscope then.

3. I have a strange feeling Ozzie feels a special bond with the Latin players given his patience with Damaso, Timo and last night not PH Konerko for Uribe. JMO. But it seems like there is something going on with his reliance on those below-average players.

I wanted Konerko to come in as well, but he was told to come to the game after batting and pregame practice. Ozzie was dead set on giving Konerko a day off, regardless of the situation. Personally, I really dont know why Ozuna wasnt given a shot at first, since he already played the position once this year and would have handled a tough play at first much better (IMHO). But it doesnt matter, the plays are done and mistakes were made. Ozzie believes he is putting his players in a position to succeed, and he believes they will. When they dont, it sucks. But Ozzie doesnt blame the players, he said just the other day he wants to be the one getting the blame.

On Brantley, I could give a rats ass what he thinks. I dont think what he did to Brantley was so horrendous that it was worth b****ing about, but whatever. Brantley got a handshake, defended himself, and Ozzie said "Good for you". This isnt a Brad Palmer situation. Ozzie didnt go off. He just ignored Brantley and went about his business. Ozzie didnt do anything worth apologizing to Brantley, as he did Palmer. I probably would have treated the situation the same way.

Is there a rule somewhere that says that Ozzie has to let somebody rip him up on national television and then shake his hand and act like nothing happened? It could have been much worse.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
Several Notes:

1. Ozzie should've walked into the locker room after the game, told the players to enjoy their day off and said the loss was 100% his fault. Ozzie should have told the players all the blame for the loss is his own.

2. If you think Jeff Brantley was tough, wait until October (if the Sox can actually hold on), when every pitch is analyzed. Ozzie will be really under the microscope then.

3. I have a strange feeling Ozzie feels a special bond with the Latin players given his patience with Damaso, Timo and last night not PH Konerko for Uribe. JMO. But it seems like there is something going on with his reliance on those below-average players.

Is Kevin Walker Venezuelan?

Guest JimH
I wanted Konerko to come in as well, but he was told to come to the game after batting and pregame practice. Ozzie was dead set on giving Konerko a day off, regardless of the situation. Personally, I really dont know why Ozuna wasnt given a shot at first, since he already played the position once this year and would have handled a tough play at first much better (IMHO).  But it doesnt matter, the plays are done and mistakes were made. Ozzie believes he is putting his players in a position to succeed, and he believes they will. When they dont, it sucks.  But Ozzie doesnt blame the players, he said just the other day he wants to be the one getting the blame. 

On Brantley, I could give a rats ass what he thinks. I dont think what he did to Brantley was so horrendous that it was worth b****ing about, but whatever. Brantley got a handshake, defended himself, and Ozzie said "Good for you". This isnt a Brad Palmer situation.  Ozzie didnt go off. He just ignored Brantley and went about his business. Ozzie didnt do anything worth apologizing to Brantley, as he did Palmer. I probably would have treated the situation the same way.

Is there a rule somewhere that says that Ozzie has to let somebody rip him up on national television and then shake his hand and act like nothing happened? It could have been much worse.

IMO this is a very good post. Who cares about Brantley. I get a kick out of everyone saying how Guillen should act, how pissed would this board be (including me) if Guillen talked every day about how the fans should act. I understand this is something to talk about on the board, but think about it.

One other thing, there will be some roster moves. Personally I believe there will be more than just shuttling Ross Gload up here. As mentioned in a few other threads a couple of holes have identified themselves, and we all know that KW sees the holes just like we do.

In addition to needing a more versatile bench, they need another bullpen arm, preferably a situational lefthander who is versatile and can help you in several different situations. Bringing in a LH to face Figgins and 4 straight LH hitters was not a bad move, the problem is it was a fringe major leaguer brought in. If Cotts in fact could not pitch last nite as indicated by the Daily Herald then Walker was his option. That option was not good enough. Therefore, get a better bullpen arm and do it pronto. It's really that simple.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Is Kevin Walker Venezuelan?

True.

I guess I was making more of a point that Ozzie gives some mid-level to poor guys a free pass: Timo and Damaso

Whereas some very talented players have to grab some bench as soon as they do anything wrong: Frank Thomas and Tad Iguchi

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
True.

I guess I was making more of a point that Ozzie gives some mid-level to poor guys a free pass: Timo and Damaso

Whereas some very talented players have to grab some bench as soon as they do anything wrong: Frank Thomas and Tad Iguchi

We have a guy who has had a few walks and is a bit shaky. The bases are loaded, and we have a guy who is a free swinging home run cut guy who will be swinging for the fences if the ball is anywhere near the plate. The almost home run, was a ball head high that he tomahawked. He spins like a top and cant hit the outside pitch. We have a pitch with a good breakin pitch that he throws outside. I would of pinch hit Gooch in that situation. He draws another walk or better yet puts the ball in play and keeps the line moving. I wouldnt of used Konerko in that situation. We dont need guys swinging for the fences in that situation.

Its nice to see the minute we get home, the morons start taking cuts for the moon. This is why our offense last year would score 14 in one game and then get 2 hit in the next.

Nobody complains about Vladimir Guerrero's free swinging.

Uribe is not to blame. Uribe shouldn't be PH for there. We shouldn't be batting there. The game should be over. Our offense put up 7 runs. When your offense puts up 7 runs, it's on your pitching to execute.

Meet last night's goats; Jose Conteras, Kevin Walker, and the King of Bullpen Mismanagement, Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Nobody complains about Vladimir Guerrero's free swinging.

Uribe is not to blame. Uribe shouldn't be PH for there. We shouldn't be batting there. The game should be over. Our offense put up 7 runs. When your offense puts up 7 runs, it's on your pitching to execute.

Meet last night's goats; Jose Conteras, Kevin Walker, and the King of Bullpen Mismanagement, Ozzie Guillen.

The minute Uribe's offensive production matches that of Vlad's we can stop b****ing about his swinging from the heels--not one moment sooner.

He doesn't need to match Vlad's production, you don't get that from a SS unless he's named Alex Rodriguez or Miguel Tejada.

Uribe batted .280 with 25 HRs last year. He'll probably bat around .265-.270 with 25 HRs this year. Not a guy you pinch hit for, especially when he's on one of his hot streaks.

I can't believe Uribe is even being discussed here. What Uribe did or did not do in the 9th is not why we lost.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
He doesn't need to match Vlad's production, you don't get that from a SS unless he's named Alex Rodriguez or Miguel Tejada.

Uribe batted .280 with 25 HRs last year. He'll probably bat around .265-.270 with 25 HRs this year. Not a guy you pinch hit for, especially when he's on one of his hot streaks.

I can't believe Uribe is even being discussed here. What Uribe did or did not do in the 9th is not why we lost.

Agree on Uribe is not the man to blame. But how in the hell can you even begin to compare Vlad's free swinging to that of Uribe's. It can't be done. That's my point.

If folks want to argue Uribe isn't the guy for that spot because he takes some of the nastiest hacks in the history of baseball, I'll defend that.

Plus, Uribe was something like .400 in bases loaded situations. He almost knocked that one out of the park. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. This may have been one of those games we had to lose to maintain some of the health of our bullpen.

What I'm saying is those people wouldn't be complaining if his free swinging had resulted in a HR. And it almost did. Had that ball been fair, how many people are yapping about Uribe's free-swinging?

Exactly.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
What I'm saying is those people wouldn't be complaining if his free swinging had resulted in a HR. And it almost did. Had that ball been fair, how many people are yapping about Uribe's free-swinging?

Exactly.

If the queen had balls, she'd be the king.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Plus, Uribe was something like .400 in bases loaded situations.  He almost knocked that one out of the park.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  This may have been one of those games we had to lose to maintain some of the health of our bullpen.

Sometimes you swing at a pitch over your head? That swing was terrible. He should of never even attempted to make contact with that pitch. 90% of the time when you make contact with that pitch it gets popped up. I give him props for getting good wood on it, but good lord that was terrible pitch selection to swing at with a guy who has struggled to throw strikes.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)

Exactly.

Actually if that was a home run, I would of said the same thing. I would of said he swung at a pitch over his head and pulled shamrocks out of his ass.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Sometimes you swing at a pitch over your head?  That swing was terrible.  He should of never even attempted to make contact with that pitch.  90% of the time when you make contact with that pitch it gets popped up.  I give him props for getting good wood on it, but good lord that was terrible pitch selection to swing at with a guy who has struggled to throw strikes.

if you see a high pitch like that and you tamohawk it, it'd gonna fly - far. uribe was just a hair too early, otherwise im pretty sure you wouldnt be complaining about his pitch selection would you?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
If the queen had balls, she'd be the king.

9 times out of 10, the queen has the king by the balls.

In the other instance, the king is a queen.

:P