What would you rather have?

$5 or WNBA championship  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• WNBA Championship in your city
    • Five Bucks

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Damnit.  I was going to post this in the other thread but it got locked as I was typing...    :angry:

---

Assuming it's safe to post about the original topic...

I would take the money.  No question about it.

I don't "live and die" White Sox baseball, and that is not a knock on anyone who feels that way, but I do consider myself a huge, loyal fan. 

It's still just a game, and sports are filled with owners, managers, and players who treat it like a business.  If most of them would rather take the money too, then I don't see why I shouldn't either.  The money has the potential to have a much greater positive impact on my life. 

Ask a loyal Red Sox fan just how different their life is after a championship.

Anyways, that's my take.

---

I understand what you are saying, but I would still take a White Sox World Series Winner over $100,000.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
It's sick to think you people would rather have $100,000 than a White Sox World Series. That is really disgusting.

cmon, lol, u serious man. i love the sox and am a hardcore fan, but please, money=essential part of life, whether you like it or not, sox=entertainment. money by far, how can anybody disagree?

one hundred thousand isnt enough, make it five hundred thousand, seriously you party after a championship for one day and your not even playing in the game, im not gonna scream or go nuts if we win , ill just say finally, money is more important

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
one hundred thousand isnt enough, make it five hundred thousand, seriously you party after a championship for one day and your not even playing in the game, im not gonna scream or go nuts if we win , ill just say finally, money is more important

Its not big to you becase you have 4 favorite teams :rolly

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
I stopped reading right there.

Why? The point Im making is , money isn't everything. The best things in life are free. Just remember real poverty?wealth is not a state of income but a state of mind. More than half the posters here would probably blow the money in less then a year, A white sox world series will live with you forever. ( at least if you live and die sox baseball everyday like I do) My ultimate happiness(sox ws) with my # 1 hobby can not be bought for $100,000, sorry.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
I was thinking the samething.  One essential problem with that statement is that NONE OF US HAVE THE ABILITY TO THROW THE WORLD SERIES!!!  But other than that... :bang

The point is 2k .... that people can be bought over. I know how important the sox are to a lot of you guys. (The number of posts speaks for itself with you) to hear that money is more important to a lot of the people here was disapointing. I'm sorry I just have a great respect for 90% of this board . I would think most of everyone here would be better than that. I did notice most of the people here taking the money are broke college students or teens. Most of them don't know the value of a dollar yet. $100,000 is not a lot at all.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
The point is 2k .... that people can be bought over. I know how important the sox are to a lot of you guys. (The number of posts speaks for itself with you)  to hear that money is more important to a lot of the people here was disapointing. I'm sorry I just have a great respect for 90% of this board .  I would think most of everyone here would be better than that.  I did notice most of the people here taking the money are broke college students or teens. Most of them don't know the value of a dollar yet. $100,000 is not a lot at all.

I know I would take the money today. But that is because my wife and I are 4 months pregnant and trying to figure out how to buy a house and pay exsisting bills. Baby is definately more important than baseball, and I would imagine with many people who said they would take the money, similarly complex situations would arise with their backrounds that dictate money being more important than baseball, no matter how much they love the Sox. All I know is $100,000 would pay off basically all of our exisiting debt (we owe $65k in student loans alone) and it would make finding a nice place to live in a good area, a lot easier to do. If that disappoints you, so be it.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Why?  The point Im making is , money isn't everything.  The best things in life are free.  Just remember real poverty?wealth is not a state of income but a state of mind.  More than half the posters here would probably blow the money in less then a year, A white sox world series will live with you forever. ( at least if you live and die sox baseball everyday like I do)  My ultimate  happiness(sox ws) with my # 1 hobby can not be bought for $100,000, sorry.

Say that when you need money.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had such a sterling character.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I know I would take the money today.  But that is because my wife and I are 4 months pregnant and trying to figure out how to buy a house and pay exsisting bills.  Baby is definately more important than baseball, and I would imagine with many people who said they would take the money, similarly complex situations would arise with their backrounds that dictate money being more important than baseball, no matter how much they love the Sox.  All I know is $100,000 would pay off basically all of our exisiting debt (we owe $65k in student loans alone) and it would make finding a nice place to live in a good area, a lot easier to do.  If that disappoints you, so be it.

Congratulations on the baby :D

$100,000 is two year's salary for the vast majority of the world, probably more. My parents don't make that much more than that combined in a given year, and we live a pretty good life. That's quite a bit of money. To put that in perspective, I can put half of the money in the bank, buy two sets of season tickets for the Sox, buy a decent car, and still have about 20 grand left to spend on other random expenses.

Also, on the Black Sox thing, you gotta realize that most ballplayers weren't making that much money back then, especially most of the guys on the White Sox. That 10 or 20 grand (can't remember the exact numbers right now) that those guys took was quite a bit more than they made with the Sox and could do a lot of things at that time. The proposed $100,000 in this question would be more like a couple of million in 1919.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Say that when you need money.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had such a sterling character.

wtf? Im just trying to make a point. I grew up middle class. I know what it is to need money. But this is f***in America. Go out and get it. I am trying to compliment you all by saying you guys are more than capable of obtaining $100,000. Us Americans make too many f***en excuses. We want everything handed to us. I have Bills *sob* *sob* I'm in debt :crying . What the f*** ever. People come here everyday to this country with nothing. Nothing at all , and build a fortune for themselves. If money means that much to a lot of you, then quit your blue collar jobs, quit your bad spending habits, make the most out of your time, take college courses that will actually pay off ( not have you making $30,000 grand a year) . I'm sorry, this is the truth. You all can hate me after this. I was told this a while back and it paid off. Quit making excuses and expecting things handed to you ( lottery, gambling jackpot ect) Invest reather than spend.

a rich man invests his money ( so his money works for him)

An average money works for a living and saves most of what he has

a poor man works and never saves . spends half his check on payday and is broke a week before the next pay period.

nothing wrong with being either of the 3. I'm just saying change your lifestyle if you need money that bad.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
wtf? Im just trying to make a point.  I grew up middle class. I know what it is to need money. But this is f***in America. Go out and get it.  I am trying to compliment you all by saying you guys are more than capable of obtaining $100,000. Us Americans make too many f***en excuses.  We want everything handed to us.  I have Bills *sob* *sob*  I'm in debt :crying    . What the f*** ever. People come here everyday to this country with nothing. Nothing at all , and build a fortune for themselves.  If money means that much to a lot of you, then quit your blue collar jobs, quit your bad spending habits, make the most out of your time, take college courses that will actually pay off ( not have you making $30,000 grand a year)  .  I'm sorry, this is the truth. You all can hate me after this. I was told this a while back and it paid off. Quit making excuses and expecting things handed to you  ( lottery, gambling jackpot ect) Invest reather than spend.

a poor man  works  and never saves . spends half his check on payday and is broke a week before the next pay period.

nothing wrong with being either of the 3. I'm just saying change your lifestyle if you need money that bad.

Good points.

But on the other side, how does the Sox winning a World Championship do anything for your life?

$100,000 as disposable income = not worth much

Sox championship as basically a form of entertainment = not worth much

But you're discounting scenarios where things come up and you're placed in a situation where you need money and it is not that easy to aquire it.

Money can be turned into food, shelter, clothing, etc. Basic needs.

A Sox championship can be equated to nothing more than a short thrill and maybe some memories that lose their meaning in the long run.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
A Sox championship can be equated to nothing more than a short thrill and maybe some memories that lose their meaning in the long run.

Ok, I re-read it, and it would probably mean more than that to most of us die-hards.

I was just thinking about the Bulls and how great it is to be able to brag about those great years. Although that's awesome and I enjoy it a lot, it's not so significant in the grand scheme of things. I'll spare everyone by not getting too philosphical. :P

Anyways, good points on both sides of the argument, in my opinion.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
wtf? Im just trying to make a point.  I grew up middle class. I know what it is to need money. But this is f***in America. Go out and get it.  I am trying to compliment you all by saying you guys are more than capable of obtaining $100,000. Us Americans make too many f***en excuses.  We want everything handed to us.  I have Bills *sob* *sob*  I'm in debt   :crying    . What the f*** ever.   People come here everyday to this country with nothing. Nothing at all , and build a fortune for themselves.  If money means that much to a lot of you, then quit your blue collar jobs, quit your bad spending habits, make the most out of your time, take college courses that will actually pay off ( not have you making $30,000 grand a year)  .  I'm sorry, this is the truth. You all can hate me after this. I was told this a while back and it paid off.   Quit making excuses and expecting things handed to you  ( lottery, gambling jackpot ect)   Invest reather than spend.

a poor man  works  and never saves . spends half his check on payday and is broke a week before the next pay period.

Silly me, I think a baby and a college education are good things to go into debt for... :rolly

And the statement about being expected to be handed something is just ignorant. Who said they expected anything? Someone asked a hypothetical question, and people answered. Then you started passing judgements on people based on their answers to an impossibility.

Personally I think it is ignorant to say that a game is more important than family and education, but that's just how I was raised.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Silly me, I think a baby and a college education are good things to go into debt for... :rolly

And the statement about being expected to be handed something is just ignorant.  Who said they expected anything?  Someone asked a hypothetical question, and people answered.  Then you started passing judgements on people based on their answers to an impossibility. 

Personally I think it is ignorant to say that a game is more important than family and education, but that's just how I was raised.

After reading his post, I realized that I had never had so many words put into my mouth. I just decided to not respond because it would have gone nowhere and just aggravate me more.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
It's all a matter of personal preference.

I think this is the best point anyone has made for any side of the argument.

SS, Milkman I think you two are great posters, you guys are both posters That I actually read posts from. I didn't mean to step on either of your toes. I guess I like the sox too much for my own good. My grandfather got me into baseball when I was four and It formed a bond that I now have with my younger siblings. (The bonds I formed were priceless to me) I hope have the same bond one day with kids and grandchildren. The white sox are priceless to me. Please don't be under the impression that I am a rich snob. I'm not. I'm 23, I was raised middle class. I have been on my own since I was 19. I am still establishing myself now but do pretty good compared to what I was doing in my late teens. I understand what $100,000 means. Once again Please accept my apologies.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)

SS, Milkman  I think you two are great posters, you guys are both posters That I actually read posts from. I didn't mean to step on either of your toes.  I guess I like the sox too much for my own good. My grandfather got me into baseball when I was four and It formed a bond that I now have with my younger siblings. (The bonds I formed were priceless to me) I hope have the same bond one day with kids and grandchildren. The white sox are priceless to me. Please don't be under the impression that I am a rich snob. I'm not. I'm 23, I was raised middle class. I have been on my own since I was 19. I am still establishing myself now but do pretty good compared to what I was doing in my late teens. I understand what $100,000 means. Once again Please accept my apologies.

:cheers :gosox3:

SS, Milkman  I think you two are great posters, you guys are both posters That I actually read posts from. I didn't mean to step on either of your toes.  I guess I like the sox too much for my own good. My grandfather got me into baseball when I was four and It formed a bond that I now have with my younger siblings. (The bonds I formed were priceless to me) I hope have the same bond one day with kids and grandchildren. The white sox are priceless to me. Please don't be under the impression that I am a rich snob. I'm not. I'm 23, I was raised middle class. I have been on my own since I was 19. I am still establishing myself now but do pretty good compared to what I was doing in my late teens. I understand what $100,000 means. Once again Please accept my apologies.

Its cool dude. To each his own :cheers :gosox1:

Ah, it's all good. I should probably be more understanding of your situation, too. :gosox1:

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
The point is 2k .... that people can be bought over. I know how important the sox are to a lot of you guys. (The number of posts speaks for itself with you)  to hear that money is more important to a lot of the people here was disapointing. I'm sorry I just have a great respect for 90% of this board .  I would think most of everyone here would be better than that.  I did notice most of the people here taking the money are broke college students or teens. Most of them don't know the value of a dollar yet. $100,000 is not a lot at all.

You might have a job that pays you 100,000 or more a year but most people dont and most of the people in highschool have parents that dont make that much combined in a year. So to say its not a lot at all is kind of dumb and you obviously dont know how much financially better you are than some families if you think that way.

I on the other hand, well my dad makes a good deal of money but I have friends whose families need 100,000 a lot more than a white sox world series.... To read this post was rather disapointing.