Why the hell didn't...

qwerty

...ozzie have hermanson throw the intentional walk before he left rather than have vizcaino who relieved him ( and has control probaems in the first place) throw his first four pitches for a ball. I didn't read the game thread at all so i don't know how every one else felt abotu this. But i was just sitting there saying wtf kind of move is this... as bad as it gets in my opinion. Sure it didn't hurt us in this case but that is not the point. It is just inexcusable if you ask me.

Edited by qwerty

I think Ozzie was pissed that Hermanson threw to 3rd base instead of getting the easy out at 1st so he yanked him. Ozzie obviously had to yank Hermanson anyways. He had no control whatsoever. At first, Vizcaino was going to pitch to Hafner but then he had a 2-0 count on him so he just issued the IBB.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
I think Ozzie was pissed that Hermanson threw to 3rd base instead of getting the easy out at 1st so he yanked him.  Ozzie obviously had to yank Hermanson anyways.  He had no control whatsoever.  At first, Vizcaino was going to pitch to Hafner but then he had a 2-0 count on him so he just issued the IBB.

That was earlier in the game when politte relieved cotts. He fell behind broussard 2-0 then just intentionally walked him.

That was earlier in the game when politte relieved cotts. He fell behind broussard 2-0 then just intentionally walked him.

Oh yeah. Well, I think Ozzie was just pissed at Hermanson for throwing to 3rd base then. Maybe Ozzie was afraid that Hermanson would throw a wild pitch during the IBB. :huh His control was ass today.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
I wonder more why Ozzie didn't pinch run for Konerko in the 8th and then lay a bunt down to get whoever runs into second.  You know, produce a run...like smallball.

there is no one else to play 1st besides Timo

I wonder more why Ozzie didn't pinch run for Konerko in the 8th and then lay a bunt down to get whoever runs into second.  You know, produce a run...like smallball.

That's what I was the most pissed about. Ozzie always talks about "smart-ball" and he didn't even use it in the 8th inning. Konerko had that leadoff bloop single. Ozzie could have pinch-ran Podsednik for Konerko. Then, he could have either let Podsednik steal 2nd base or bunt him over there. Then a single would have scored him. Ozzie started Timo at 1st base for an entire game but he's afraid to put him out there for 1 inning? What the hell is that about? We were saying this in chat.

Edited by Jabroni

Pods pinch ran for Everett later in the game, stole second, stole third, and we didn't get a run out of it. So, just because Pods is in the game doesn't mean we'll get a run...and do you really want another automatic out in the lineup (Timo or Crede, pick your poison) and worse defense at 1B in a tie game late?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
Pods pinch ran for Everett later in the game, stole second, stole third, and we didn't get a run out of it. So, just because Pods is in the game doesn't mean we'll get a run...and do you really want another automatic out in the lineup (Timo or Crede, pick your poison) and worse defense at 1B in a tie game late?

Were there any out at that time? Because I think there were. And when Konerko got on, he was the first batter of the inning.

That's a weak argument. When Podsednik did come in the game in the 10th inning to pinch-run for Everett, there was already 1 out. There were no outs in the 8th inning when Konerko hit that leadoff bloop single.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
there is no one else to play 1st besides Timo

Don't you think that's a problem? That we have a very capable defensive player in the minors who can hit better than half of our offensive roster (Gload), but we keep him in the minors so that Ozzie's boyfriend Timo can stay on the roster? Our last two losses could have been avoided if we had Gload on the roster right now. I don't care if Gload can't throw from the outfield. He needs to be with the major league roster immediately.

I think it's funny that the Indians beat us with smallball today. A stolen base and a bunt were two "smallball" plays that lead to runs for them. On the other hand, Ozzie played for the homer the entire game. We also have to teach our players to not swing if Pods is trying to steal a base early in the count.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:25 AM)
More like THE (only) HIT (he's gotten all season)!

We called it at the time. Timo's hit on Monday = season long pass on the major league roster. The fact we don't have a legit back-up at 1b, the easiest position to play, is pathetic. It played a huge role in the loss on Wednesday, and today's game.

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
dude we lost fair and square get over it!

Apparently we can't talk baseball on a baseball message board. I know we lost...I'm over it...I just like reading and talking about the game, if you dont...leave...simple enough.....

When Pauly got that single I was happy cause I knew Pods was coming in and we had a good chance of getting him in.

Not pinch running for Pauly was a bone head move. I'm not saying we would have won, I'm just saying common sense says you pinch run for the slowest guy on the team there.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
...ozzie have hermanson throw the intentional walk before he left rather than have vizcaino who relieved him ( and has control probaems in the first place) throw his first four pitches for a ball. I didn't read the game thread at all so i don't know how every one else felt abotu this. But i was just sitting there saying wtf kind of move is this... as bad as it gets in my opinion. Sure it didn't hurt us in this case but that is not the point. It is just inexcusable if you ask me.

Having the new reliever issue the intentional walk to the first batter is not an uncommon occurance. I've noticed it (and questioned it) several times over the years. There are two reasons that I can think of to somewhat explain why this is done. First, the new pitcher gets 4 pitches from the actual mound he'll be pitching from as opposed to the bullpen mound while the IBB is being issued. Also, by having the new pitcher issue the IBB, it gives him a bit more incentive to quell the rally, as that runner would be charged to him is he happens to score.

Edited to add: My "reasons" were purely speculation on my part.

Edited by YASNY