Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
Getz is one of my fav's, but I'm really warming up to the closer from Vandy.  I love power arms in bullpen spots.  I could care less when it comes to starters, but for whatever reason I always like a reliever that can come in and throw gas. 

Cunnigham is another guy I flat love and the kid committed to SDSU sounds pretty nice too.  I also noticed the Sox drafted a few guys with sinking action, a big plus in my book.

I really hope they get both Cunn and the SDSU kid signed, especially considering the Sox not having any comp or 2nd round picks... That's what I was hoping for before the draft, too -- the Sox grabbing some guys in the 6th-7th rounds that had signability issues.

BTW -- did that Danks (sp?) go? The kid who's committed to, what, Texas? And what about that pitcher Randar liked -- Bleich?

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
Yeah, I've been spending a little while trying to do research, but it's tough.  With so many JC/CC, HS, and small college players, it's hard to find their stats and stuff on them.  It's fairly easy with the major college guys, at least.

After the Sox/Rox game and Twinks/DBacks game, I'll probably do a little research myself. Damn basketball had me miss everything past round six...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
I really hope they get both Cunn and the SDSU kid signed, especially considering the Sox not having any comp or 2nd round picks...  That's what I was hoping for before the draft, too -- the Sox grabbing some guys in the 6th-7th rounds that had signability issues.

BTW -- did that Danks (sp?) go?  The kid who's committed to, what, Texas?  And what about that pitcher Randar liked  -- Bleich?

I don't think Danks went. In fact there are a few guys that are really highly ranked taht didn't go. Typically guys with real solid commits. Putnam out of Ann Harbor is another high schooler that was rated in the top 100 and has yet to get drafted.

I don't know if Putnam is related to Danny Putnam who played for Stanford.

Just want to say to all that partook in todays draft thread...wow was that a blast. Everyone was really involved and active and lots of good information was given all around.

It was a real pleasure, everyone sharing info they knew on guys. Just one of the many reasons I've came to love this site (and for the cheap bastard I am, I don't ever even cringe at the thought of paying the bill of this site...its something I enjoy and today was a reason why). :cheers

And just think, there are still 32 more rounds :lol:

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Guys, I just wanted to say good luck finding some of these guys. I've never seen a draft that has this many guys that I can't find squat on. Its amazing.

I know. It's brutal. The scary thought is that day two is always going to be harder. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
Is anyone worried that we lack position player prospects and we took 13 pitchers in 17 picks?

Mike, when your kid decides its time to try his hand at baseball, you make damn sure he throws with his left hand. I'm serious. Whenever he goes to throw the baseball with his right, slap it.

I don't know jack about the MLB draft, but isn't this pretty par for the course? You always hear that pitchers, especially lefties, have a future in baseball. However, with the exception of Anderson, Sweeney, etc. a lot of our starting position players in the future would appear to come from either free agency or via trade, so if Kenny is looking to promote home-grown pitching talent instead of position players, I suppose I'm on board with that.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I don't know jack about the MLB draft, but isn't this pretty par for the course?  You always hear that pitchers, especially lefties, have a future in baseball.  However, with the exception of Anderson, Sweeney, etc. a lot of our starting position players in the future would appear to come from either free agency or via trade, so if Kenny is looking to promote home-grown pitching talent instead of position players, I suppose I'm on board with that.

Well this is a bit extreme, but the position players go early and late and the middle rounds are pitcher heavy. The Sox took 2 pitchers from the start so there you go. Also, I might be wrong, but I thought this draft was thin with position players.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Mike, when your kid decides its time to try his hand at baseball, you make damn sure he throws with his left hand.  I'm serious.  Whenever he goes to throw the baseball with his right, slap it.

I don't know jack about the MLB draft, but isn't this pretty par for the course?  You always hear that pitchers, especially lefties, have a future in baseball.  However, with the exception of Anderson, Sweeney, etc. a lot of our starting position players in the future would appear to come from either free agency or via trade, so if Kenny is looking to promote home-grown pitching talent instead of position players, I suppose I'm on board with that.

The joke all along is that the kid is having his right arm tied behind his back until he is 5. :P

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Well this is a bit extreme, but the position players go early and late and the middle rounds are pitcher heavy. The Sox took 2 pitchers from the start so there you go. Also, I might be wrong, but I thought this draft was thin with position players.

Quick question:

With Kenny head-over-heels in love with guys like Pedro Lopez, does that factor in when drafting? For instance, will Kenny be hesitant to draft a middle-infielder early because he thinks there is some can't-miss talent playing in either AA or AAA. I know a lot of times you want to draft talent, regardless of who you have playing in front of him, but does that play even a small role when drafting?

And SS, I totally agree. My kid won't even know he has a right hand until the second grade.

Day Two will probably be filled with mostly college position players I'd assume. Not exactly a strategy I like, but whatever fills the rosters I guess.

As for the JC and CC players, their stats aren't that difficult to find. Usually the college's website says which league the JC or CC plays in, and after googling that you can easily find the player's stats.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
Mike, when your kid decides its time to try his hand at baseball, you make damn sure he throws with his left hand.  I'm serious.  Whenever he goes to throw the baseball with his right, slap it.

And you make double damn sure that I'm his agent. I'll make Boras look like Santa Claus, we'll get him top dollar :D

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
Quick question:

With Kenny head-over-heels in love with guys like Pedro Lopez, does that factor in when drafting?  For instance, will Kenny be hesitant to draft a middle-infielder early because he thinks there is some can't-miss talent playing in either AA or AAA.  I know a lot of times you want to draft talent, regardless of who you have playing in front of him, but does that play even a small role when drafting?

And SS, I totally agree.  My kid won't even know he has a right hand until the second grade.

No, you draft talent and frankly should look very little at what you currently have. The only time position really factors in is when you have guys rated on a similar plane and than you decide on which guy fills a bigger need position.

Later in the draft they will draft for depth though, making sure all the rosters will be squared away for the minors.