Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

Guys ... just to clarify, coverage on mlb.com starts at 11:30 a.m. CST, but the actual selections don't start until noon CST. The Diamondbacks are expected to make their selection shortly after the top of the hour. So, we should know the White Sox pick by 12:20 or 12:25.

I hope they draft Carillo. Its hard to pass up guys who hit 95 reguarly and have a plus curve and change. He has faced quality batters in his conference and plays in a big time program.

His last start he had 113 pitches, he hit 95 on his last pitch. This is Zambrano territory. Enough with the 91mph Felix Diaz type pitchers who have great control and get bombed if they misse on their spots. I would rather have a filthy ace to complement our staff.

Gio/Bmac/ and Carillo would give us deep pitching for years.

Pitching wins. Lets get the best filthy pitcher.

Yeah I hope nobody expects Carillo to hit 95 regularly, or you will be displeased. Not many guys in the draft process can hit 95 regularly, and if they can they are either a top 10 pick or a later round guy because of their control. Carillo has nice sink on his fastball that sat at 91-92 when I watched.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Yeah I hope nobody expects Carillo to hit 95 regularly, or you will be displeased. Not many guys in the draft process can hit 95 regularly, and if they can they are either a top 10 pick or a later round guy because of their control. Carillo has nice sink on his fastball that sat at 91-92 when I watched.

A guy who is thin as hell and can rush it up when needed to 95 and above with sink on his fastball. I would take that in a hearbeat over Felix straight fastball diaz who has no sink and cannot rush it up when needed.

Pitchers who have sinkers or a sinking fastball are a must with the Cell playing the way it has over the last few years.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Guys ... just to clarify, coverage on mlb.com starts at 11:30 a.m. CST, but the actual selections don't start until noon CST.  The Diamondbacks are expected to make their selection shortly after the top of the hour.  So, we should know the White Sox pick by 12:20 or 12:25.

Draft moves much faster than that. I'd say by 12:15 we'll know who the Sox have drafted.

Guest JimH

The two things that stand out about Lance Broadway:

- 35 walks in 117 innings, that's pretty good

- his character and make up

While I'm somewhat leery of having his last three performances raise his stock so dramatically, I do like smart pitchers who pound the strike zone and have long been on the bandwagon to acquire those types.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)

Yep, not going to be hitting 95 with any kind of regularity. He's got more of a Garland-speed fastball. 89-92 is where it is when it is most effective and getting the most movement.

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
quick question, on the videos of the prospects on mlb.com the screen has 2 numbers. the top one must be speed, whats the bottom one?

Tracks velocity throughout the sequence and the gun freezes the top number as the max reading during the pitch...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Jim, good points on Broadway.  With the success McCarthy has had, I imagine that the Sox will be drafting a lot of those type of guys, ones who pound the strikezone and have low BB totals.

40 minutes...  :)

The Sox have always been a fan of projection in the first few rounds and taken those kind of guys later. McCarthy, Buehrle, Sirotka, etc. Now, granted, it hasn't always worked out well picking either early, LOL... Wells was a hard-thrower, Parque was a control pitcher. Pitching is just a roll of the dice either way.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
The part I love about the draft besides the Sox picking is seein who slips and how far down.  I just find it interesting to gauge teams opinion on players rather than the BA and MLB.com's.

The only problem with that is BA or others often rank on talent, whereas signability, personal issues, college committments, etc play heavily into where players are actually selected.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
The Sox have always been a fan of projection in the first few rounds and taken those kind of guys later.  McCarthy, Buehrle, Sirotka, etc.  Now, granted, it hasn't always worked out well picking either early, LOL...  Wells was a hard-thrower, Parque was a control pitcher.  Pitching is just a roll of the dice either way.

Randar, are you in the against-taking-Carrillo camp? I thought that's what I read over at WSI, but I can't be sure...?

And, so long as nothing crazy happens (like Justin Upton falling to #15), who do you want the Sox to take?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Randar, are you in the against-taking-Carrillo camp?  I thought that's what I read over at WSI, but I can't be sure...?

And, so long as nothing crazy happens (like Justin Upton falling to #15), who do you want the Sox to take?

Well, let's be clear, I'm simply not all that enthralled with the guys who will be there mid-first. I think there's little drop-off between the mid-first-round guys and the middle of the second round. The premium is there in the top 10, but after that, it's kind of a cloudy picture of the next 50 guys or so.

Not a fan of Clement. I don't think he can stick behind the plate.

Carillo, Bogusevic and Broadway? I don't know, they each have their pluses and minuses. I think out of the group, today, I like Carillo the best, but Broadway and Bogusevic both appear to me to be safer picks from a durability standpoint and both project a little better IMO.

My best case scenario? Tulowitzki falling out of the top ten and landing in our lap.