Lance Broadway

thomsonmi

Baseball America had Broadway skyrocketing up the board today...

16. Lance Broadway, rhp, Texas Christian

HELIUM alert! 6/5 Update: Stock soaring after three straight quality starts against excellent opponents; one of draft’s best curveballs coupled with pitchability and makeup

Lance Broadway

Class: Junior

Hometown: Grand Prairie, Texas

High School: Grand Prairie HS

Last College: Dallas Baptist

Height / Weight: 6-4 / 195

Position: RHP

Birthdate: 08/20/1983

Experience: TR

B/T: R/R

2004 Summer League: Played for the Northwoods League's Wisconsin Woodchucks... named by Baseball America as the league's top draft prospect... also named to the second-team all-American summer league team... pitched a hitless inning in the Northwoods all-star game... led the league with a 1.80 ERA in nine games... pitched 65 innings, struck out a league-high 95 batters... compiled a 5-1 record.

Dallas Baptist: Earned all-conference honors both seasons he pitched for the Patriots... threw two no-hitters as a freshman, one against Missouri Southern and the other against Tarleton State... earned Pitcher of the Week in the Heartland Conference for both efforts... as a sophomore, compiled a 10-2 record with a 2.82 ERA in 108 innings pitched... struck out a team-hight 102 batters.

Grand Prairie High: Was an all-district performer each of his three seasons of high school ball.

Personal: Full name is Lance Daniel Broadway... he is the son of Lynn and Toni Broadway... was born on August 20, 1983... has a younger sister, Lauren... majoring in communications.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
I'm extremely dissapointed with this pick.  Especially when Carillo, Bogusevic,  and Hansen still on the board.  So they draft a guy based on him having been lights out for a whole 3 starts?

Technically it was just the level of competition he did it against recently, but he has been lights out all season. Just look at his numbers, flat filthy.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm extremely dissapointed with this pick.  Especially when Carillo, Bogusevic,  and Hansen still on the board.  So they draft a guy based on him having been lights out for a whole 3 starts?

His numbers outside those 3 starts aint to shabby.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)

So, they should have picked a guy (Hansen) who, even at his best, will give ya 75 IP?

Yep, that's it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
So, they should have picked a guy (Hansen) who, even at his best, will give ya 75 IP?

Yep, that's it.

Hansen is a top 5 pick if not for his agent.... think of recent stud closers that fly through the minors... huston street, Chad Cordero.......

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Hansen is a top 5 pick if not for his agent.... think of recent stud closers that fly through the minors... huston street, Chad Cordero.......

Royce Ring.. lOL!

Sorry, but a Billy Bean disciple taking a college closer after the way they chastized KW is pretty damn funny IMO.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)

We had one pick in the top 90 -- we needed a hit on that one, and Broadway has the chance to be that. Real good K numbers, low BB numbers -- I like that a lot.

Hansen, I wouldn't have complained about, but he's not going to help your team out as much as a guy like Broadway could . And, even if Hansen makes the big leagues within a year, I think we've got a ton of relievers in the system (albeit, not as good stuff, but still have performed well in the minors) who would be ahead of Hansen.

Alright. I'll try and be positive. I admit, I don't know much of anything about this guy. Didn't even think he was anywhere on the Sox radar before today. But his stat-line is impressive. And I see those last 3 starts he had were against very good college competition.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Alright.  I'll try and be positive.  I admit, I don't know much of anything about this guy.  Didn't even think he was anywhere on the Sox radar before today.  But his stat-line is impressive.  And I see those last 3 starts he had were against very good college competition.

Last three starts = one good week. Big fat hairy deal.

Granted, he's pretty good, but I don't think he's that good.

This is from another Forum Topic on here (posted by WHarris, I believe)

ERA 1.62

W-L 15-1

APP 19

GS 16

CG 5

IP 117.0

H 83

R 28

ER 21

BB 35

SO 151

2B 12

HR 2

B/AVG .191

It appears that the big deal about his last 3 starts is he proved that the #s he was putting up in Conference USA wasn't because of poor competition. It was because he can really pitch.

Breaking the #s down more:

11.6 ks / 9 IP

2.69 BB/ 9 IP

6.38 H/ 9 IP

Edited by SHAFTR

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Royce Ring.. lOL!

Sorry, but a Billy Bean disciple taking a college closer after the way they chastized KW is pretty damn funny IMO.

wooa....be careful of your spelling.....you mean billy beane, the oakland GM. billy bean was a player for i believe the padres who came out and said he was gay a couple years ago