Lance Broadway

thomsonmi

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
wooa....be careful of your spelling.....you mean billy beane, the oakland GM. billy bean was a player for i believe the padres who came out and said he was gay a couple years ago

Billy Beane was drafted by someone. He was a total phenom and I think your referring to Art Howe. Not sure, one of Benae/Howe was rumored to be gay (I think it was Howe). Personally I could give two cents.

I never realized how much of a stud Beane was supposed to be. He was a major bust though but was supposed to have unbelievable talent.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
According to Duane Schaffer, Lance's fastball sits anywhere from 89-94 mph and usually settles at 91-92 most games. Looks like his fastball hasn't been given enough credit.

I heard it has pretty good movement as well, which is a major plus. Whether you throw 88-89 or 93-94, what matters if you have movement or some damn good secondary pitches. The only time its less important is when you throw 95 plus and even then you better have another pitch.

I've turned the corner and I'm loving this broadway selection. Plus change and curveball and he flat out hammers the zone with his fastball (inside and out) and its a pitch with good movement.

He's gonna be a quick mover, although the Sox should be careful with his workload.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Last three starts = one good week.  Big fat hairy deal.

Granted, he's pretty good, but I don't think he's that good.

he obviously won't shy away when the pressure's on, so those three starts showed his character and make-up, which are important qualities in a pitcher. the fact that he did it late in the season tells me he won't break down. sort of sounds like a righty Buehrle with a little more velocity and a great curve.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
he obviously won't shy away when the pressure's on, so those three starts showed his character and make-up, which are important qualities in a pitcher.  the fact that he did it late in the season tells me he won't break down.  sort of sounds like a righty Buehrle with a little more velocity and a great curve.

Plus they were huge pressure situations. Stanford, Miss, and Tulane...damn is that impressive. The guy dominated every time necessary, including shutting out Stanford in the regionals. I think he threw 3 shutouts in the past 4 games and its not like its the only time he's been good.

I love guys that throw strikes and his curve is definately a PLUS pitch. Thats a freaking hammer if I ever saw one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
I've turned the corner and I'm loving this broadway selection.  Plus change and curveball and he flat out hammers the zone with his fastball (inside and out) and its a pitch with good movement. 

He's gonna be a quick mover, although the Sox should be careful with his workload.

He can fill out a bit as well like B-Mac so that fastball could yet have an a couple of extra MPH on it. With a plus curve, and an improving change, he could move, very very quickly through the system. We've got some real good SP prospects now though. :cheers

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
He can fill out a bit as well like B-Mac so that fastball could yet have an a couple of extra MPH on it. With a plus curve, and an improving change, he could move, very very quickly through the system. We've got some real good SP prospects now though.  :cheers

As long as he can regularly hit 91-92, I don't have much concern. Even if he's 89 on a consistent basis while ocassionally hitting the 90,91,92 MPH range I'm not too concerned. If he can throw strikes with the fastball and keep hitters off balance with that hammer and good changeup, he's not going to have any trouble. That hammer is filthy and if his change is as good as Shaffer says, both the curve and change will turn his average FB into a good pitch (with time of course).

Well at least thats the plan :)

From the scouting video I just watched, he has a good 2 seamer that was always clocked at 89 MPH, a wicked curve that was clocked in the 77-81 MPH range, and a good change that was clocked at 80-81 MPH. His 4 seamer was unimpressive IMO. It was clocked at 87 MPH.

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
i have never seen him play and i dont konw what to make of those stats, so the best way i can judge him is if i know what current major league pitcher his style is similar to. any thoughts draft experts?

It said on the draft tracker on mlb.com that his style was similar to Justin Duscherer.

Edited by Dam8610