Mother of all trades suggestion

sox-r-us

I have been giving this a thought for a while. Obviously our two biggest needs are 3B followed by better production at SS. If Cotts stays solid and even if one out of Shingo or Viz get back to last year's form our BP is going to be great for the playoffs. Not to mention Count will be added to the pen and in general our pen is not going to be overworked going into the playoffs.

We have all talked about Randa, Chavez and even Vinny (;)) at 3B. In another thread, Kenny has said he has the go signal to spend if needed to get a great player here that can put us over the top. So I have to ask:

How about trading for Alex Rodriguez?

Question #1: Will the Yanks trade him?

With the Yanks just losing 9 out of their last 10 (and with the Twins, Os, Bo Sox, White Sox, Angels not slowing it down), it is very possible that the Yankees will be so out of it come trade deadline that they may just decide to sell for a change instead of buy. They have holes all over their roster (2B, DH, BP, CF and starting P) and with a team that is only going to get older next year, the Boss may decide to shred some payroll and use it sensibly on pitching in the offseason. Also, Alex has just not been received well in the Yanks locker room where Jeter will always be the man.

Question #2: Will JR pay for someone like Alex Rodriguez?

Considering the Rangers picked up some of Alex's contract, it is not like we are going to be paying $25M a year for him. Also, when you consider this is the guy that can FINALLY put seats in the park for years to come, as a sure fire HOF'er and a lock to even break Henry Aaron's record, JR has to see value there. JR has paid for Michael Jordan before, so I do not see him not paying someone like Alex. Also, when Alex was a FA, the Sox were mildly interested in him. And considering we were willing to pay in the range of 14M/yr for Maggs, we can definitely pay for Alex.

Question #3: Do we have enough to trade for a Alex Rodriguez?

In one of those 3B upgrade threads, it was clear that except for maybe the Dodgers, there were really no other contending teams that needed a 3B. Also, with Mussina, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Flash Gordon, Rivera, Quantrill, Stanton etc all really getting old, Yankees have to stock up on young pitching now. We can easily give them a package of Crede + BMAc + any other one stud prospect they want.

Question #4: Where do you play him?

That is easy. This season at 3B, and he can continue there but can always be moved to SS if needed (trade Uribe or use him as a back up going forward if we get a good 3B)

Question #5: Do we mess with chemistry?

I definitely believe this "Alex Rodriguez has won nowhere and is hence not worth the $" tripe is crap. If we can get the next Barry Bonds for the next decade, we have to look at it. I am willing to risk the chemistry to get the true star that will make this city a Sox town again and make us into an overnight lock to win it all this year and be contenders for years to come. Alex would fit in fine in the clubhouse with so many Latino players and Ozzie. Also, while he will bring the Star attitude to the club house, I have always seen Alex as being a hard worked on the field who will get dirty to win the game. He definitely wants to win.

=======================

Now I know the chances of this happening are

Would you guys be ok with a trade for Alex Rodrigues or not????? Thoughts??? Considering we have an off day, this might make for a good discussion.

I am going to go change my shorts since I think I just creamed it thinking about this fockign lineup for the Sox the latter part of this year:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Frank Thomas DH

Alex Rodriguez 3B

Jermaine Dye RF

Paul Konerko 1B

Aaron Rowand CF

AJ Pierzinsky C

Uribe SS

Off the bench - Everett as first PH

Edited by sox-r-us

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
I have been giving this a thought for a while. Obviously our two biggest needs are 3B followed by better production at SS. If Cotts stays solid and even if one out of Shingo or Viz get back to last year's form our BP is going to be great for the playoffs. Not to mention Count will be added to the pen and in general our pen is not going to be overworked going into the playoffs.

We have all talked about Randa, Chavez and even Vinny (;)) at 3B. In another thread, Kenny has said he has the go signal to spend if needed to get a great player here that can put us over the top. So I have to ask:

How about trading for Alex Rodriguez?

Question #1: Will the Yanks trade him?

With the Yanks just losing 9 out of their last 10 (and with the Twins, Os, Bo Sox, White Sox, Angels not slowing it down), it is very possible that the Yankees will be so out of it come trade deadline that they may just decide to sell for a change instead of buy. They have holes all over their roster (2B, DH, BP, CF and starting P) and with a team that is only going to get older next year, the Boss may decide to shred some payroll and use it sensibly on pitching in the offseason. Also, Alex has just not been received well in the Yanks locker room where Jeter will always be the man.

Question #2: Will JR pay for someone like Alex Rodriguez?

Considering the Rangers picked up some of Alex's contract, it is not like we are going to be paying $25M a year for him. Also, when you consider this is the guy that can FINALLY put seats in the park for years to come, as a sure fire HOF'er and a lock to even break Henry Aaron's record, JR has to see value there. JR has paid for Michael Jordan before, so I do not see him not paying someone like Alex. Also, when Alex was a FA, the Sox were mildly interested in him. And considering we were willing to pay in the range of 14M/yr for Maggs, we can definitely pay for Alex.

Question #3: Do we have enough to trade for a Alex Rodriguez?

In one of those 3B upgrade threads, it was clear that except for maybe the Dodgers, there were really no other contending teams that needed a 3B. Also, with Mussina, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Flash Gordon, Rivera, Quantrill, Stanton etc all really getting old, Yankees have to stock up on young pitching now. We can easily give them a package of Crede + BMAc + any other one stud prospect they want.

Question #4: Where do you play him?

That is easy. This season at 3B, and he can continue there but can always be moved to SS if needed (trade Uribe or use him as a back up going forward if we get a good 3B)

Question #5: Do we mess with chemistry?

I definitely believe this "Alex Rodriguez has won nowhere and is hence not worth the $" tripe is crap. If we can get the next Barry Bonds for the next decade, we have to look at it. I am willing to risk the chemistry to get the true star that will make this city a Sox town again and make us into an overnight lock to win it all this year and be contenders for years to come. Alex would fit in fine in the clubhouse with so many Latino players and Ozzie. Also, while he will bring the Star attitude to the club house, I have always seen Alex as being a hard worked on the field who will get dirty to win the game. He definitely wants to win.

=======================

Now I know the chances of this happening are

Would you guys be ok with a trade for Alex Rodrigues or not????? Thoughts??? Considering we have an off day, this might make for a good discussion.

I am going to go change my shorts since I think I just creamed it thinking about this fockign lineup for the Sox the latter part of this year:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Frank Thomas DH

Alex Rodriguez 3B

Jermaine Dye RF

Paul Konerko 1B

Aaron Rowand CF

AJ Pierzinsky C

Uribe SS

Off the bench - Everett as first PH

Only on the Xbox is this trade made.

Get Randa, who hit another dong tonight for some minor prospects and save your big trades for some more pitching.

I have had this thought run through my mind recently, but because there woiuld be so many obstacles to overcome, I just dismissed it. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and see what the Boss and Cashman are thinking.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 06:52 AM)
Only on the Xbox is this trade made.

Get Randa, who hit another dong tonight for some minor prospects and save your big trades for some more pitching.

Do we really need more pitching if we stay injury free? Also, this trade sets us up for years to come. Obviously we let Kong & Everett walk in the offseason, and let someone like G-load or some cheap vet play 1B. I am sure Frank would be willing to stay here at a discount if we won it all to keep contending. And we do nto really have any major holes to fill for next year.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
Do we really need more pitching if we stay injury free? Also, this trade sets us up for years to come. Obviously we let Kong & Everett walk in the offseason, and let someone like G-load or some cheap vet play 1B. I am sure Frank would be willing to stay here at  a discount if we won it all to keep contending. And we do nto really have any major holes to fill for next year.

You can never have enough pitching.

I would take Randa and spend our money in the relief area. Find some studs and make it a short game. Polite, Hermy and Cotts have been great lately. Marte has something wrong with his arm and has been erratic at best. Maybe its nothing, maybe its something more.

Our starting pitching has been great. The only weak link is the health of one El Duque. With Bmac in need of more seasoning, I would suggest that an arm might be a good idea.

Ricardo Rincon from the A's, Everyday Eddy from the Mariners, just a few ideas.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
I have had this thought run through my mind recently, but because there woiuld be so many obstacles to overcome, I just dismissed it.  However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and see what the Boss and Cashman are thinking.

Thanks YASNY. I have been really thinking about this the past 3 days seeing the Yanks implode against the Brewers.

Yes, Kenny should pick up the phone and ask. It cannot hurt can it?

The one thing folks may not realize is that the Yankees plight is not just restricted ot this year. They are screwed even for next year and maybe even the year after. They have ridiculous $ invested in Giambi who no team will take. Same thing for Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson, both of who will only get worse and more injury prone after this year. They have absolutely no bull pen for next year, and they just cannot buy their way in anymore. They need young, cheap pitching badly and there is no way they get it except trading some stud this year. Mariano Rivera is the other chip they have and I have even thought about maybe the Sox calling for him. But if one out of Shingo or Viz settles in, with Hermy doing great, I rather have Alex than Rivera any day for this year and for years to come. Bud Selig's plan has had some effect in that many teams are now capable of tying up their studs before they get to the Yankees.

Also, considering Toronto and Os have really good young pitching, they will be good next year and year after too. The Yanks have a battle on their hand despite this huge payroll.

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 06:57 AM)
Nice post, though would never happen...........even Chavez is a freaking long long shot, This has the chances of Crede batting over .320 for the year

Yeah long long long long shot, but if this happened.....man I would take the week off from work to partay :drink

Still, I hope Kenny at least makes the call if the Yanks continue to get hammered

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Thanks YASNY. I have been really thinking about this the past 3 days seeing the Yanks implode against the Brewers.

The one thing folks may not realize is that the Yankees plight is not just restricted ot this year. They are screwed even for next year and maybe even the year after. They have ridiculous $ invested in Giambi who no team will take. Same thing for Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson, both of who will only get worse and more injury prone after this year. They have absolutely no bull pen for next year, and they just cannot buy their way in anymore. They need young, cheap pitching badly and there is no way they get it except trading some stud this year. Mariano Rivera is the other chip they have and I have even thought about maybe the Sox calling for him. But if one out of Shingo or Viz settles in, with Hermy doing great, I rather have Alex than Rivera any day for this year and for years to come.

Also, considering Toronto and Os have really good young pitching, they will be good next year and year after too. The Yanks have a battle on their hand despite this huge payroll.

Brown is signed through this season only. They will buy Giambi's contract out, and reach some sort of deal.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)

The one thing folks may not realize is that the Yankees plight is not just restricted ot this year. They are screwed even for next year and maybe even the year after. They have ridiculous $ invested in Giambi who no team will take. Same thing for Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson, both of who will only get worse and more injury prone after this year. They have absolutely no bull pen for next year, and they just cannot buy their way in anymore. They need young, cheap pitching badly and there is no way they get it except trading some stud this year. Mariano Rivera is the other chip they have and I have even thought about maybe the Sox calling for him. But if one out of Shingo or Viz settles in, with Hermy doing great, I rather have Alex than Rivera any day for this year and for years to come.

Yep. The Yanks have dug themselves a deep hole they just can't fill with money to climb out of. It'll be interesting to see what MLB does to help them get back on top, as everyone knows the Yankees winning is good for baseball. :rolly

They can also buy out Wright's contract for $4 million if he spends something like an extra 21 days on the DL. They've got some wiggle room, and I can't see Ol' Steiny selling his prime stock.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)
They can also buy out Wright's contract for $4 million if he spends something like an extra 21 days on the DL. They've got some wiggle room, and I can't see Ol' Steiny selling his prime stock.

I agree I cannot see Steinbrenner giving up on his stud chip. But with Steinny, who the hell knows anyways.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:02 AM)
Brown is signed through this season only. They will buy Giambi's contract out, and reach some sort of deal.

Ok. What about their BP? Stanton, Quantrill, Flash, Rivera? What is their status for next year and what is their payroll? What about Posada?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
YASNY

What would you be willing to give up for a ARod?

Would you be willing to give up Anderson, Crede and BMac? I would, in a heart beat. Prospects are just that....prospects.

I'd have to give that some serious thought. Crede and BMac, I'd say go for it. I guess a lot depends on much $$$$ the Yankees throw in to the deal.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:08 AM)
I'd have to give that some serious thought.  Crede and BMac, I'd say go for it.  I guess a lot depends on much $$$$ the Yankees throw in to the deal.

Crede + Bmac is a no brainer, but I doubt Steinny goes for that. If he got two stud prospects, something they have none of, he could at least think about it.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
YASNY

What would you be willing to give up for a ARod?

Would you be willing to give up Anderson, Crede and BMac? I would, in a heart beat. Prospects are just that....prospects.

Don't question the impact good young players can have on a team though. Look at the Minnesota Twins. Jesse Crain, Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer would make what about $1million combined this season. If you can get good young players contributing at a good enough level on the MLB stage, then it gives you so much more payroll flexibility, so you're not locked into big contracts like the Yankees etc.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:09 AM)
Don't question the impact good young players can have on a team though. Look at the Minnesota Twins. Jesse Crain, Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer would make what about $1million combined this season. If you can get good young players contributing at a good enough level on the MLB stage, then if gives you so much more payroll flexibility, so you're not locked into big contracts like the Yankees etc.

Agreed but you are talking about a HOF'er who is going to break Aaron/Bonds' record here. (Injuries not withstanding of course but typically pitchers have more concerns with injuries. Position players are much safer bets)

And we would be set to contend next year too. And this team needs to take over the city from the Cubs.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
Crede + Bmac is a no brainer, but I doubt Steinny goes for that. If he got two stud prospects, something they have none of, he could at least think about it.

You know Steinbrenner though. He'd panic and ship BMac and Anderson to the Twins for Radke, or some such s***, and we'd regret it for years.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:12 AM)
You know Steinbrenner though.  He'd panic and ship BMac and Anderson to the Twins for Radke, or some such s***, and we'd regret it for years.

I would live with that too frankly. You know if the Yanks decide to sell anyone, they will not trade the player to any AL East team (maybe to the Os just to screw the Bo Sox) so there is a chance they do what you suggest with the Twinkies.

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Agreed but you are talking about a HOF'er who is going to break Aaron/Bonds' record here. (Injuries not withstanding of course but typically pitchers have more concerns with injuries. Position players are much safer bets)

And we would be set to contend next year too. And this team needs to take over the city from the Cubs.

Look at what Steinbrenner gave up for Pay-Rod. Crede and B-Mac is NOT going to get it done. As much as we would like to acquire an A-Rod, our payroll is not able to handle the increase his contract would have, even if the Yankees pay what up to a half of the remaining deal (which they'd never do). If he's so good, why would the Yankees want to give him up? Why not ship out the dead wood instead?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 06:59 AM)
You can never have enough pitching. 

I would take Randa and spend our money in the relief area.  Find some studs and make it a short game.  Polite, Hermy and Cotts have been great lately.  Marte has something wrong with his arm and has been erratic at best.  Maybe its nothing, maybe its something more. 

Our starting pitching has been great.  The only weak link is the health of one El Duque.  With Bmac in need of more seasoning, I would suggest that an arm might be a good idea.

Ricardo Rincon from the A's, Everyday Eddy from the Mariners, just a few ideas.

Would you trade for Rivera then? That is someone the Yanks will definitely think hard about trading if they decide they are done this year.

What would you give up to add Rivera to our BP?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
I would live with that too frankly. You know if the Yanks decide to sell anyone, they will not trade the player to any AL East team (maybe to the Os just to screw the Bo Sox) so there is a chance they do what you suggest with the Twinkies.

Just remember that going out and getting the superstar player doesn't always work. That's what got NY into this mess.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:15 AM)
Look at what Steinbrenner gave up for Pay-Rod. Crede and B-Mac is NOT going to get it done. As much as we would like to acquire an A-Rod, our payroll is not able to handle the increase his contract would have, even if the Yankees pay what up to a half of the remaining deal (which they'd never do). If he's so good, why would the Yankees want to give him up? Why not ship out the dead wood instead?

I agree Crede + BMac is not enough. See my posts above. I said Crede + BMac is a no brainer. I think though that Crede + BMac + Anderson would do it PROVIDED the Boss decided he is willing to trade Alex away. That offer would be a tough one for the Boss to resist then, I think. I would defintiely do it eve if it meant giving up BMAc + Crede + Anderson