Steve Phillips

Kyyle23

Jack Wilson and Daryle Ward for Carl Everett and Ross Gload plus a prospect. You think the Pirates woulld possibly be interested? (probably not because Everett can't play the outfield).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Is anybody on this board sold on Uribe?

Yeah, you can count me in on being sold, I like his defense, his leadership with the pitchers (going to the mound more often) his report with count when he is in trouble and his ability to get runners in when he needs to. I think he is a serviceable SS and will only improve.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Mackowiak, on the other hand, is hitting .346 with a.425 OBP

His career is .335 Not great, but better.

Plus he can play all the outfield spots too.

Mack is a below average IF and is basically another OF'er. Not really an upgrade on a defensive minded team.

im not a mack fan, he always starts out really hot then tails off emensely.

if we were to get him now, all we'd get was his worst part of the season... just look at last year. his ending stats are far from impressive, but for the first couple months it looked like he does right now.

honestly at the moment we're still winning - dont do anything. we've been the best team in baseball all year, weve been in 1st place all year, what do we need to change?

I'm sold on Uribe defensively, but not at all offensively. He reminds me a little bit of Shea Hillenbrand -- a guy who never walks but can make contact with pretty much anything you throw at him. These guys are streaky hitters, and you either have to accept it or get rid of him because these guys don't have a history of changing. Since he's normally your 8th or 9th hitter, you really don't need that much out of him. The problem though is that your normal 7-8-9 hitters(Pierzynski, Crede and Uribe) are all kind of like that. To varying degrees, yes, but none of them ever walk much, and are all streaky hitters. If they are all on cold streaks at the same time, it's like 3 useless spots in your order.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I'm sold on Uribe defensively, but not at all offensively.  He reminds me a little bit of Shea Hillenbrand -- a guy who never walks but can make contact with pretty much anything you throw at him.  These guys are streaky hitters, and you either have to accept it or get rid of him because these guys don't have a history of changing.  Since he's normally your 8th or 9th hitter, you really don't need that much out of him.  The problem though is that your normal 7-8-9 hitters(Pierzynski, Crede and Uribe) are all kind of like that.  To varying degrees, yes, but none of them ever walk much, and are all streaky hitters.  If they are all on cold streaks at the same time, it's like 3 useless spots in your order.

Yeah, but remember, the 3-4-5 hitters were slumping earlier in the year, but our 7-8-9 hitters were on fire. It's more than just slumps, it's timely hitting. As long as other people can pick you up, or that 1 hit in a 1-12 series is a game winner, that's what matters.

I'd still give it 5 to 1 odds in favor of having Uribe find some month this season where he just goes wild and hits like .400, like he did to open the year last year.

If he gets a couple of hot weeks, this team may go undefeated during that stretch.

His defense is not terrible and is improving as he gets more used to playing short, and while his offense is still the streakiest on the ballclub (yes, including Crede), when he gets hot, he looks unstoppable.

He didn't really give Farmio the time of day, but he still maintains he jumped on the Sox and is kinda backing off.

He felt he was a good guy to speak to the situation because he dealt with a firey manager in Bobby V. in New York and thinks of himself as an expert on the situation.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
He felt he was a good guy to speak to the situation because he dealt with a firey manager in Bobby V. in New York and thinks of himself as an expert on the situation.

Steve Phillips and expert on the situation in one sentence? :o

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Steve Phillips and expert on the situation in one sentence?  :o

His exact words.

He questions how firey managers will sustain themselves and questions the "that's just Ozzie being Ozzie" supporters when the team isn't playing well.

He thinks managers, and I tend to agree with this, that are even keeled, Torre, Cox, LaRussa, are the ones that work.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
His exact words.

He questions how firey managers will sustain themselves and questions the "that's just Ozzie being Ozzie" supporters when the team isn't playing well.

He thinks managers, and I tend to agree with this, that are even keeled, Torre, Cox, LaRussa, are the ones that work.

Jerry Manuel was that guy. It didn't work for us. Yes, the personnel has changed since then, but if Manuel didn't believe the power offense was going to get it done, he could have spoke to upper management about going a direction Ozzie has.

Edited by greasywheels121

Normally (almost always) I don't care what these talking heads say, but if he used the names LaRussa, Cox, and Torre as his examples of why even keeled managers are successful ... well duh. He picked three of the best managers of all time.

I'm sure there are hundreds of even keeled managers who were awful, and Steve Phillips also knows (or should know) that LaRussa and Cox in particular are known to get hot under the collar as the situation warrants. That's part of what makes them so successful.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Normally (almost always) I don't care what these talking heads say, but if he used the names LaRussa, Cox, and Torre as his examples of why even keeled managers are successful ... well duh.  He picked three of the best managers of all time.

I'm sure there are hundreds of even keeled managers who were awful, and Steve Phillips also knows (or should know) that LaRussa and Cox in particular are known to get hot under the collar as the situation warrants.  That's part of what makes them so successful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^