Ichiro

Milkman delivers

So far today, he's 1-4 and he is down to a .305 average. I never believed that he'd approach .400, like some "analysts" said he might, but I never thought he'd be batting this low (for him).

Anyone know what is wrong with this guy? Even with an awful offense last year, he broke the single-season hits record. I just don't know what's going on here.

Edited by Milkman delivers

You guys are s***ting all over yourselves and he's hitting 300.

Settle down.

No one is "s***ting all over themselves" but .300 is "meh" for Ichiro. Hell, Iguchi has been hitting around .300 for most of the season so far and this is his rookie season in the MLB.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
No one is "s***ting all over themselves" but .300 is "meh" for Ichiro.  Hell, Iguchi has been hitting around .300 for most of the season so far and this is his rookie season in the MLB.

Just bring up a simple topic for discussion, and people jump all over you for it. There was nothing wrong with the question or the discussion.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Most likely.  But they sure must be pissed that they signed Beltre to that huge contract now. :puke

Beltre's contract isn't exactly "Huge"...it's large, but not like $20 mil or anything.

I still think Beltre will find his swing. He was absolutely amazing last year. He will pull it together.

Ichiro was ridiculously hot during the last few months of the year last year. It was like he'd never make an out. It was remarkable.

Everyone goes through good streaks and bad streaks. That's why it's so darn hard to hit .400. You literally can't have more than a bad week or two during the entire season, otherwise you fall pretty far away from it and have to struggle back.

Ichiro will end this season hitting .350 or more. He'll find that grove again. If nothing else, he'll start slamming the ball into the ground again, and that'll get him a hit every 3 at bats.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Beltre's contract isn't exactly "Huge"...it's large, but not like $20 mil or anything.

I still think Beltre will find his swing.  He was absolutely amazing last year.  He will pull it together.

Didn't he get something like $65 million for 5 years?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
Didn't he get something like $65 million for 5 years?

yes, that's about right. But that's still not ARod money we're talking.

I still think the guy will snap it around, unless he had some help hitting those 40 some odd home runs last year. He's solid defensively, has a great bat, and is stuck adjusting to a new league right after getting hot in the other one.

If he hits like this for 5 years, then yeah they wasted their money. But you don't expect guys to go from #2 in the MVP voting to garbage in 1 year if they're not hurt, especially when they're 26 years old.

You know, I probably should have said $20 mil a year.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
guys u knew beltre would be a 1 year wonder..or at least i did sure hes been a solid player with the dodgers, but he wasnt worth that phat contract he signed with the Ms this offseason and he wasnt as good as advertised last season..thats all

Even if he was a 1-year wonder, if there was a moderate drop-off in his numbers this year, he'd still be worth that contract. He's getting like 12 or 13 million a year. If my 3b plays solid defense, hits 30-35 home runs, and hits .300, he's probably worth that money.

Each of those numbers would be a substantial drop-off from his performance last year. And I don't put any of them out of his reach yet.

If he'd put up 45+ home runs, .330 average 2 or 3 years in a row, I wouldn't have been surprised if he earned a bigger contract than Beltran. He was undervalued a bit because he'd only done it for 1 year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Even if he was a 1-year wonder, if there was a moderate drop-off in his numbers this year, he'd still be worth that contract.  He's getting like 12 or 13 million a year.  If my 3b plays solid defense, hits 30-35 home runs, and hits .300, he's probably worth that money.

Each of those numbers would be a substantial drop-off from his performance last year.  And I don't put any of them out of his reach yet.

If he'd put up 45+ home runs, .330 average 2 or 3 years in a row, I wouldn't have been surprised if he earned a bigger contract than Beltran.  He was undervalued a bit because he'd only done it for 1 year.

He never had numbers close to last year in a big time pitchers park. He finally puts up huge numbers last year. Why is that? Oh ya, his contract year. Now he will go back to his underachieving self at another insane pitchers park. He won't sniff .300 this year. It is sad how often players do so well in their contract year and go back to blowing like they previously had.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
He never had numbers close to last year in a big time pitchers park. He finally puts up huge numbers last year. Why is that? Oh ya, his contract year. Now he will go back to his underachieving self at another insane pitchers park. He won't sniff .300 this year. It is sad how often players do so well in their contract year and go back to blowing like they previously had.

Aramis Rameriez.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)

What is sadder is that teams continue to give these guys huge ass contracts too

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Just wanna throw two sets of stats out there, see if you can guess who the two players are.

.294 AVG/.347 OBP/.443 SLG/.790 OPS

.295 AVG/.342 OBP/.406 SLG/.747 OPS

Gooch and Ichiro?