How do we wake up the sleeping Giant?

southsider2k5

What ideas do people have to fire up this team again?

Fire Jerry?

Bench clearing brawl?

Closed door clubhouse meeting?

Call ups such as Harris, Borchard, Ginter, Almonte, etc...?

Extending benchings of slumpers

Rearrange bullpen order, getting Glover and Wunsch into later roles?

:bang

Fire Jerry?

Bench clearing brawl?

i have been one of the JM biggest backers, but i have one question. has anyone seen JM getting any calls during the game like he was last yr? b/c i am now leaning toward firing him. i hate to come to this point but something is needed to shake this team up before its too late.

my other opinion is to readdress the bullpen and esp white and koch.

Fire Jerry?

Bench clearing brawl?

i have been one of the JM biggest backers, but i have one question. has anyone seen JM getting any calls during the game like he was last yr? b/c i am now leaning toward firing him. i hate to come to this point but something is needed to shake this team up before its too late.

i was jerry's biggest supporter until how he mishandled the foulke situation..it still bothers me to talk bad about his performance and i want to defend him when i see others who have been ripping him from day one do it in an unfair way...but i think we are almost to the point where the only thing that will make this team play to potential is the firing of manuel..

if the players really like and admire manuel then this west coast road trip should be their chance to save his job...because if we come back with our tails between our legs he has to go...that should be made clear to the players too...and it should also be made clear that player changes will be made along with jerry going should this happen

they should all know they are playing for their jobs on this next road trip..then we will see who wants to play and who doesnt

other options

bench clearing brawl??..somethimes it works but i think it has a less of a chance suceeding with a veteran team...the only thing we do know it will accomplish for sure is getting a bunch of players suspended..

closed door meetings??...how many of those have we had in the past 2 years???...who many division titles have they led too...closed door meetings are the kiss of death..

call up players??...i think borchard in CF would be nice...almonte??..who we gonna send down??..its the righties that cant pitch in the pen right now...the lefties are kicking ass...almonte is a lefty and that would give us 4 of them..harris.maybe, but how much difference would he make???

extended benching of slumpers??... dont think the problem is that they are slumping..its what they are doing within the slump....you can go 0-15 and be real effective if you draw walks and work the counts...bunt when needed..hit behind runners..take advantage of sac fly situations...i would say extended benchings of guys worrying more about their BA then team play..that could mean benching a 300 hitter...

rearrange bullpen order...i like this idea..atleast in the short term

Fire Jerry?

Bench clearing brawl?

i was jerry's biggest supporter until how he mishandled the foulke situation..it still bothers me to talk bad about his performance and i want to defend him when i see others who have been ripping him from day one do it in an unfair way...but i think we are almost to the point where the only thing that will make this team play to potential is the firing of manuel..

if the players really like and admire manuel then this west coast road trip should be their chance to save his job...because if we come back with our tails between our legs he has to go...that should be made clear to the players too...and it should also be made clear that player changes will be made along with jerry going should this happen

they should all know they are playing for their jobs on this next road trip..then we will see who wants to play and who doesnt

other options

bench clearing brawl??..somethimes it works but i think it has a less of a chance suceeding with a veteran team...the only thing we do know it will accomplish for sure is getting a bunch of players suspended..

closed door meetings??...how many of those have we had in the past 2 years???...who many division titles have they led too...closed door meetings are the kiss of death..

call up players??...i think borchard in CF would be nice...almonte??..who we gonna send down??..its the righties that cant pitch in the pen right now...the lefties are kicking ass...almonte is a lefty and that would give us 4 of them..harris.maybe, but how much difference would he make???

extended benching of slumpers??... dont think the problem is that they are slumping..its what they are doing within the slump....you can go 0-15 and be real effective if you draw walks and work the counts...bunt when needed..hit behind runners..take advantage of sac fly situations...i would say extended benchings of guys worrying more about their BA then team play..that could mean benching a 300 hitter...

rearrange bullpen order...i like this idea..atleast in the short term

i really wanted to respond with another smart ass response, but i fugured i would treading in dangerous waters.

but you made another great post. esp in the jm part, which i agree with. i like your point of the players now playing hard for jm and lets see who doesn't.

time to make some trade of those players with a single minded approach to this team.

I've never been an official JM backer, always thought he was a smart guy, just put too much thought into managing, but I may have to agree with everyone that if the Sox struggle, he should be canned.

I don't think now is the time though. I mean, let's be realistic, the sox are at 12-10 and are going up against some big teams in the Twins and A's, so we can't just fire him before this. another thing is the fact that four of our losses came against a hot KC team. although they were considered a bad team going in, they've played some good ball, so we can't look at our 12-10 record and say it is unacceptable based on our schedule, because really, without the Royals games, we are 10-6, which is basically what you want to do against weaker teams.

I've never been an official JM backer, always thought he was a smart guy, just put too much thought into managing, but I may have to agree with everyone that if the Sox struggle, he should be canned.

I don't think now is the time though. I mean, let's be realistic, the sox are at 12-10 and are going up against some big teams in the Twins and A's, so we can't just fire him before this.  another thing is the fact that four of our losses came against a hot KC team.  although they were considered a bad team going in, they've played some good ball, so we can't look at our 12-10 record and say it is unacceptable based on our schedule, because really, without the Royals games, we are 10-6, which is basically what you want to do against weaker teams.

interesting, but no matter how you write it, the performance of some of the players are not what was one would expect.

OK so to spin this a little more, if KW's interference is that big of a problem why hasn't Manuel tried to unite the team against him?  That is the classic strategy that was used well by Phil Jackson.

being too religious and classy?

OK so to spin this a little more, if KW's interference is that big of a problem why hasn't Manuel tried to unite the team against him?  That is the classic strategy that was used well by Phil Jackson.

It's because JM is somewhere between one eigth and one quarter the man Phil Jackson is.

It's because JM is somewhere between one eigth and one quarter the man Phil Jackson is.

Phil Jackson was a leader. Hed get ya motivated. That is what JM lacks. He lacks fire and motivation. He is too calm. The team can be getting killed or can be doing the killing but his attitude never changes. Not to mention he puts crappy pitchers in consistently in crucial situations... :angry:

Phil Jackson was a leader. Hed get ya motivated. That is what JM lacks. He lacks fire and motivation. He is too calm. The team can be getting killed or can be doing the killing but his attitude never changes. Not to mention he puts crappy pitchers in consistently in crucial situations... :angry:

I am leaving the whole personell moves out of this if what the rumors are saying is true about KW making most of the moves for JM.

Roman.. curious.. exactly how many times is it that you've actually met JM..? Had a conversation with him..? Heard him speak more than 30 seconds on the news.. or 2 minutes on the radio..?

My point is that you don't know s*** about how he is in the clubhouse or what kind of motivator he is.

Have you heard ONE player dish s*** about him after leaving the Sox..? I haven't.. but I've heard a few bad mouth Kenny. But nope.. you're right and the world's all wrong. Gotcha ;)

I am leaving the whole personell moves out of this if what the rumors are saying is true about KW making most of the moves for JM.

All Im saying is JM lacks motivation. Does he ever seem annoyed when things are going wrong? Does he ever seem to have emotions? No. He just sits there like a schmuck. And then when he finally does have to do something he does it wrong. Like putting in Rick White in a close game when he specifically asked for the day off. The man is an idiot. Wally Backman would be much better...

Roman.. curious.. exactly how many times is it that you've actually met JM..? Had a conversation with him..? Heard him speak more than 30 seconds on the news.. or 2 minutes on the radio..?

My point is that you don't know s*** about how he is in the clubhouse or what kind of motivator he is.

Have you heard ONE player dish s*** about him after leaving the Sox..? I haven't.. but I've heard a few bad mouth Kenny. But nope.. you're right and the world's all wrong. Gotcha  ;)

i am not siding with anyone, but steff, have you heard of kw still calling the shots during the game as he was last yr.

Have you heard ONE player dish s*** about him after leaving the Sox..? I haven't.. but I've heard a few bad mouth Kenny. But nope.. you're right and the world's all wrong. Gotcha  ;)

i am not siding with anyone, but steff, have you heard of kw still calling the shots during the game as he was last yr.

Yes LDF I have heard of that as well as "meetings" before EVERY game where JM is given a plan of action with several scenerios and what he "should" do in those instances. Now I didn't get to see the game last night (family issues) but I was told that when he made the change to White last night that he looked "pained"..? Like it wasn't something he wanted to do?

And Roman.. Rick did NOT ask for the day off. He asked Cooper if he could get a day off "soon". He did not say he needed off last night, he did not tell Cooper that he was not feeling well. This is a fact straight from a players mouth.

You can see it in the dugout! He does nothing. He doesnt even seem to care. Im so fed up with this guy. And ya wanna know why no one ever bad mouths Jerry? Because he never does anything at all, good or bad, he just sits there, in "Jerrys Corner"! He leaves occasionally, when he goes to tell Rick White hes been relieved of his duties in favor of Tom Gordon.

And thats another thing. Even if we disagree on his motivational skills, how can you possibly not see anything wrong with his decisional skills?

What about all the speed we have that this man has put to waste? Under Backman this team would have 150 steals at the end of the season. Under Manuel, well have about 50... :angry:

yeah with paulie walnuts leading the team with sb's. :headbang

so he is not calling the dugout during the game.

I have never specifically asked. And I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. The "meeting" information was offered to me in response to "are things any better for Jerry with the dictator"?

I have never specifically asked. And I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. The "meeting" information was offered to me in response to "are things any better for Jerry with the dictator"?

good thinking. as i said before and may now be back supporting jm, the prob is with kw micromanaging of the team.