Bad loss

sox-r-us

Why was Buerhle hitting with runners on the corner no outs with Frank Thomas and Everett on the bench???? Given Buerhle was only going to maybe pitch to two more hitters he should have been pinch hit there

Even then why was Pods batting with the same situation one out?

Ozzie screwed up today.

And Paulie was home....that was a bad call by the umps

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would blame it also on the inability to drive in runs with less than 2 outs...I can think of a couple times the Sox had runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs and have nothing come of it....you have to come through to win these kind of games....

Crede's been swinging a hot bat. Paulie was just hitting 3rd base when Nady turned to throw into Greene. Slownerko. I'd have rather had Crede give it a shot. I didn't think that was a bad call by the ump, just a bad call by Joey Cora.

Tough loss but, once again, this game was in the Sox hands, we blew it.

2 things.

#1 Konerko is slow; and he should have been pinch-run for. But, we don't have a backup 1b. Even if he WAS safe, Willie should have pinch-run and (gulp) Timo should have filled in at 1st in the 9th.

#2 Hermanson has lost velocity the last few games. We've all noticed it, why hasn't Ozzie?

I was talking about it with my dad while we were watchng the game. Politte should have started the ninth, then Cotts should have finished the game if necessary.

Hermanson needed tonight off and Ozzie, with his blind faith, threw him back out there.

dont sugarcoat this loss and blame it on ozzie or the ump, our offense still f***in blows. we got shut down AGAIN by some douche who had a 5 + ERA. Sure hes got pretty good stuff, but if you wanna make the playoffs and make some noise you gotta do better than tonight

You don't deserve to win scoring only 1 run BUT that was an absolutely horrible move to let Buehrle bat. You score 2 they have to score 3 and at the time they had 0. I can't believe he didn't pitch hit for him.

What the heck could he have been thinking?

I am real concerned about:

not having a strong right handed middle relief guy;

not having a left hand bat ( other then Harris or Perez) off the bench when Everett isn't in the lineup;

That we are starting to be one of "those" teams that needs a closer.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:36 AM)
2 things.

#1 Konerko is slow; and he should have been pinch-run for. But, we don't have a backup 1b. Even if he WAS safe, Willie should have pinch-run and (gulp) Timo should have filled in at 1st in the 9th.

#2 Hermanson has lost velocity the last few games. We've all noticed it, why hasn't Ozzie?

I was talking about it with my dad while we were watchng the game. Politte should have started the ninth, then Cotts should have finished the game if necessary.

Hermanson needed tonight off and Ozzie, with his blind faith, threw him back out there.

He's your closer and hasn't pitched but 1 inning since Tuesday. Can't fault Ozzie, you gotta give the game to your closer.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Why was Buerhle hitting with runners on the corner no outs with Frank Thomas and Everett on the bench???? Given Buerhle was only going to maybe pitch to two more hitters he should have been pinch hit there

Even then why was Pods batting with the same situation one out?

Ozzie screwed up today.

And Paulie was home....that was a bad call by the umps

None of this matter if Hermanson doesn't blow the save. I know you don't want your pitcher batting in a critical situation, but he was pitching lights out so you have to deal with it. Also, Pods had been 6 of 7 in getting the runner in with a man on third and less than 2 outs, so second guessing that one is a mute point. Paulie was out at home, his foot was hovering just above the plate when the tag was applied. You can second guess everything about this game but the fact of the matter is that our closer didn't get it done. These things happen and you just have to go out and rebound tommorrow.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
He's your closer and hasn't pitched but 1 inning since Tuesday.  Can't fault Ozzie, you gotta give the game to your closer.

Closer or not, Hermanson has shown marked losses in his pitch strength.

Cooper has to have noticed.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:36 AM)
2 things.

we are the only dam team in baseball that doesn't have a true backup first basemen. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Ump made a good call IMO. The last replay showed him getting tagged right before his foot crossed home plate. Tough loss, but this team seems to bounce back from tough losses. Even if they lose tomorrow, don't b**** about a 4-2 interleague road trip. :gosox1:

I would not b**** if we had a comfrtable lead in the division. The Twinkies will just not go away, so we have to make smart decisions to win.

I just hate the hypocrisy of Ozzie. The focker talks about how he has sleepless nights trying to give at bats to Frank and Everett and then he lets Burhle focking bat (so that he can pitch to one or two more batters next inning) in a one run game.

I can almost guarantee Frank would have at least hit it deep enough to sac fly a run in right there.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Closer or not, Hermanson has shown marked losses in his pitch strength.

Cooper has to have noticed.

So what're you going to tell him? "Hey hermey, you've got a 1.00 ERA and haven't blown a save this season, but hey, you looked a little vulnerable last Tuesday so we're going to let someone else close." No, you don't do that. Until he falters, which he did tonight, you can't just yank the guy out of a role he's excelled at. I understand what you're saying about his velocity, but it hasn't hurt him until tonight. The homer to Hernandez had nothing to do with velocity anyway, it was a hanging breaking ball.

Everybody relax, tommorow we have Freddy going who has been lights out in day games and on the road. We still have a chance to take a road series from one of the best teams in baseball. We'll get them tommorow and go home and play for two weeks. :gosox1:

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:42 AM)
So what're you going to tell him?  "Hey hermey, you've got a 1.00 ERA and haven't blown a save this season, but hey, you looked a little vulnerable last Tuesday so we're going to let someone else close."  No, you don't do that.  Until he falters, which he did tonight, you can't just yank the guy out of a role he's excelled at.  I understand what you're saying about his velocity, but it hasn't hurt him until tonight.  The homer to Hernandez had nothing to do with velocity anyway, it was a hanging breaking ball.

Agreed. You dance with the date you brought to the dance. Until Hermanson blew the game, there was no chance Ozzie was going to not go to him in a save situation.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
2 things.

Even so, there's no guarentee that Politte and Cotts come in and shut down the Padres. If they blew the loss everyone who question why Hermanson was put into the game (see game against Angels). Don't blame Ozzie for putting a guy perfect in save opportunities out there. Now he has a reason to not pitch Hermy and can make the move with justification. Hindsight is 20-20. Now letting Buehrle hit is more of a mistake, but even so we had the lead the whole time.

QUOTE(JohnStamos @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:38 AM)
None of this matter if Hermanson doesn't blow the save.  I know you don't want your pitcher batting in a critical situation, but he was pitching lights out so you have to deal with it. Also, Pods had been 6 of 7 in getting the runner in with a man on third and less than 2 outs, so second guessing that one is a mute point.  Paulie was out at home, his foot was hovering just above the plate when the tag was applied.  You can second guess everything about this game but the fact of the matter is that our closer didn't get it done.  These things happen and you just have to go out and rebound tommorrow.

They wouldn't have to put Hermanson in if they would have scored a dam run in the 8th. YOU HAVE TO PITCH HIT FOR BUEHRLE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE 2 GOOD OPTIONS. TERRIBLE MANAGED GAME.