Props from Torii Hunter???

Tadahito15

I found this over at WSI and thought it was interesting...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/545...2obna7coe7c54r1

It's the main difference between the Twins and the White Sox, who lead the Minnesota in the AL Central by 5½ games. The Twins have scored 288 runs, the White Sox 291. The Twins lead the majors with a 3.39 team ERA. The White Sox are second at 3.46.

But the White Sox are 19-8 in one-run games, the best in the majors. The Twins are 12-12.

Gardenhire said over the weekend that he's not worried about his team's record in one-run games. But Hunter views Chicago's advantage differently.

"That's the reason why they are in first place," Hunter said. "That's the reason why they are the best team in the major leagues. The way they are playing, no team can match up with those guys. Not even us. We can't compare them to us right now. They are sick."

This isn't the first time Hunter has said good things about the White Sox, for the most part he is a classy guy and a hard-nosed player. Commenting about the Burke collission he said something along the lines of "on the field it is a great rivalry, but I'd love to take all of those guys out for dinner if they would let me"

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Interesting....

HES TRYING TO TRICK US INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY SO THEY CAN SNEAK UP ON US, RATHER THAN FEED US BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL

I dont even think that quote needs to be in green, I wouldnt put that past Hunter. He is good at mind games. The past 5 years the White Sox mouths have given the Twins all the motivation they need, Hunter knows that.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
I dont even think that quote needs to be in green, I wouldnt put that past Hunter.  He is good at mind games.    The past 5 years the White Sox mouths have given the Twins all the motivation they need, Hunter knows that.

Explain how Hunter is "good at mind games", is he a Jedi or something?

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Explain how Hunter is "good at mind games", is he a Jedi or something?

I thought his bowling over Burke in the middle of a heated pennant race was one of his best mind games yet. he got into the Sox heads and they quit.

he always played the "they dont respect us" card, and they have come out on top the past 4 years.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
I thought his bowling over Burke in the middle of a heated pennant race was one of his best mind games yet. he got into the Sox heads and they quit.

he always played the "they dont respect us" card, and they have come out on top the past 4 years.

First of all his bowling over Burke wasn't a mind game, if anything the Sox did a mind-job on themselves, that was just a tough play, it happens. Second of all he doesn't have to respect us, his team has beaten up on us consistently for the last 3 years, 2nd place doesn't command respect.

Umm. quote of the year -

"That's the reason why they are in first place," Hunter said. "That's the reason why they are the best team in the major leagues. The way they are playing, no team can match up with those guys. Not even us. We can't compare them to us right now. They are sick."

-Torii Hunter

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
First of all his bowling over Burke wasn't a mind game, if anything the Sox did a mind-job on themselves, that was just a tough play, it happens.  Second of all he doesn't have to respect us, his team has beaten up on us consistently for the last 3 years, 2nd place doesn't command respect.

First of all I disagree with you. Second of all i dont care if you disagree with me. I saw it differently. Sorry.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
First of all I disagree with you.  Second of all i dont care if you disagree with me.  I saw it differently.  Sorry.

It isn't that I disagree with you. It is foolish to think that Torii Hunter is playing mind games with the White Sox or he has somehow done so successfully in the past. The reason you saw it differently is because you probably don't understand that baseball can be a contact sport and it should be played hard. I never once felt bad for Burke about that collission or felt any anger towards Hunter about it, it was a tough play that sent a message to, at the time, our second place Sox that the division wasn't going to be had. Hunter's comments this year, seem to acknowledge what everyone else sees, that the division is ours to lose right now.

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
  Second of all he doesn't have to respect us, his team has beaten up on us consistently for the last 3 years, 2nd place doesn't command respect.

BTW, I was talking about Hunter saying for the past 4 years "Nobody respects us", I wasnt saying that Hunter has to respect the Sox. They(the Twins) like to play the "us against the world" mentality.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)

If all it takes is to run over our backup's backup catcher to make us quit than that is a team that deserves to lose, Also I think what you meant was the past 3 years. And you really think Ozzie would of let our team quit because of a play he applauded Hunter on.

Here is the real reason we lost last year... No 5th starter and not having Maggz and Thomas for over half the season.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
BTW, I was talking about Hunter saying for the past 4 years "Nobody respects us", I wasnt saying that Hunter has to respect the Sox. They(the Twins) like to play the "us against the world" mentality.

Then I misinterpreted what you said, but what I said still holds true.

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
The reason you saw it differently is because you probably don't understand that baseball can be a contact sport and it should be played hard. 

Listen, dont take a quote of mine and tell me that i dont understand baseball. Everyone has a different perspective on how things go. You dont agree with mine, thats fine, but you dont hear me telling you that you dont understand the sport.

I understand baseball just fine, and I see it differently than you do. thats all.

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
...baseball can be a contact sport and it should be played hard.  I never once felt bad for Burke about that collission or felt any anger towards Hunter about it...

I'm not going to drudge up the past, but Hunter went well out of his way to clock Burke. Period. That was not playing the game hard, that was being a jagoff.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
If all it takes is to run over our backup's backup catcher to make us quit than that is a team that deserves to lose,  Also I think what you meant was the past 3 years.  And you really think Ozzie would of let our team quit because of a play he applauded Hunter on.

Here is the real reason we lost last year... No 5th starter and not having Maggz and Thomas for over half the season.

What are you people reading? I didnt say "the reason the Sox lost is because Burke got hit..." I said that Hunter popped Burke and the Sox quit afterwards. You cant argue that. I know why the Sox lost last year, they had their deficiencies, injuries and a one dimensional offense. The season turned on one play. After that play, the team went on a s***ty run and ended up in second.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Listen, dont take a quote of mine and tell me that i dont understand baseball. Everyone has a different perspective on how things go.  You dont agree with mine, thats fine, but you dont hear me telling you that you dont understand the sport.

I understand baseball just fine, and I see it differently than you do.  thats all.

I didn't say you didn't understand baseball. This is alot of what we say last week with the Erstad collission though, you have one side seeing it as a hard-nosed play and the other side seeing it as a cheapshot. I don't really feel like getting into an argument about that though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)

You're fully right there. It's not a coincidence that we lost our grip on 1st place right after both of those guys got hurt.

Torii's hit on Burke was more a symptom than the disease itself; once those 2 hitters went down, the team didn't have a solid way to win lots of games any more. Minnesota was winning by wanting it more than anyone else and doing what it took to win. We weren't doing that.

Hunter's hit on Burke may or may not have been necessary, may or may not have been dirty. But the fact is, if there was something Hunter could do that he felt was going to help his team win, he was going to do it. Our team wasn't. Once we lost those 2 batters, we couldn't swing our way to the division title any more, and the Twins came back and wanted it more.

I'm glad to see him give us some props. I'll be just as glad to see them lose in the 1st round or miss the playoffs, or in the end, get swept by us in the ALCS.

QUOTE(valponick @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I didn't say you didn't understand baseball.  This is alot of what we say last week with the Erstad collission though, you have one side seeing it as a hard-nosed play and the other side seeing it as a cheapshot.  I don't really feel like getting into an argument about that though.

The thing is that I see it as hard-nosed, I dont see it as cheating. But I think coming down the line, Hunter said to himself "Im gonna make this one count, and the Sox are going to know who is in charge after I am done."

And he did it. And the Sox knew who was in charge. he got into the Sox heads, that is how I see it.