ESPN Rank the Managers

Balta1701

ESPN.Com's sportsnation is running a "Rank the MLB Managers" survey. You can find it...and put Ozzie #1...by Clicking here.

Current rankings (top 15)

1. Bobby Cox

2. La Russa

3. Torre

4. Scioscia

5. Frank Robinson

6. Gardenhire

7. Buck Showalter

8. Jack McKeon

9. Ozzie!

10. Terry Francona

11. Sweet Lou

12. Felipe Alou

13. Dusty Baker

14. Bruce Bochy

15. Jim Tracy

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
ESPN.Com's sportsnation is running a "Rank the MLB Managers" survey.  You can find it...and put Ozzie #1...by Clicking here.

Current rankings (top 15)

1.  Bobby Cox

2.  La Russa

3.  Torre

4.  Scioscia

5.  Frank Robinson

6.  Gardenhire

7.  Buck Showalter

8.  Jack McKeon

9.  Ozzie!

10.  Terry Francona

11.  Sweet Lou

12.  Felipe Alou

13.  Dusty Baker

14.  Bruce Bochy

15.  Jim Tracy

Oddly enough, I had him 9th as well. Except I put McKeon behind him and Pinella in front of him (I have Gardenhire and Cox 1 & 2).

I luv Ozzie but he still needs to build up a track record.

So far so good.

I'd say that having Ozzie at #9 is about right. You need a few division titles to be considered a top tier manager, and Ozzie's got a ways to go to get there, but I'd certainly take Ozzie over more than half the managers in the league, without question. Partly cause I think there are a lot of s***ty managers out there, partly because I think Ozzie's gonna be a damn good one.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Somebody give me a history lesson, what did Frank Robinson ever do?

If you're going on past history, I hate to say it, but Dusty Baker has a tremendous career record and deserves better than 13th.

not much hes just a big name, i guess a lot of credit is given to him for having to go through the troubles of playing with no set home stadium till now

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
If you're going on past history, I hate to say it, but Dusty Baker has a tremendous career record and deserves better than 13th.

I know.

But I just

................. can't

................. do it. :banghead

Edited by southsider17

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
torre 3?? hell no with that talent its absolutely ridiculous he cant even keep that ballclub at .500 pathetic....truly is otherwise i agree for the most part

Joe Torre has won a bunch of championships. Talent or no talent, you have to respect that. Hell, I never thought much of Phil Jackson as a coach, but you can't ignore the 9 rings.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Joe Torre has won a bunch of championships.  Talent or no talent, you have to respect that.  Hell, I never thought much of Phil Jackson as a coach, but you can't ignore the 9 rings.

if were ranking managers based on THIS SEASON which is what i thought...u cant possibly see him as numero 3..but ur opinion i wont argue it

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
if were ranking managers based on THIS SEASON which is what i thought...u cant possibly see him as numero 3..but ur opinion i wont argue it

For this season, yes, I'd say Torre hasn't been up to snuff. Still not sure if the poll is in regards to this year, or overall.

Without reviewing all the managers and actually sitting down and ranking them, I consider Ozzie a middle of the pack coach who still makes rookie mistakes both on the field and off. I didn't think Manuel deserved that much blame for the Sox failures and certainly don't believe that Ozzie deserves to be higher up because the team is winning. Just telling the team to turn up the music when they loosse, isn't enough.

I was happy when they picked him and agree he is going to be a top 5 someday if he can learn from his mistakes.

QUOTE(WSox30 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm surprised at how low Jim Tracy is considering the consistency he has brought to Los Angeles.

Getting the LA Times every morning as I do, I'm not sure that the people around here are that big of fans of Jim Tracy. He had a good year last year, but that was as much due to Beltre and Gagne as anything else.