Ken Griffey Jr?

VAfan

Should the Sox be thinking about a really bold move as the trade deadline approaches?

Obviously we've played outstanding team baseball to this point. If we can continue at this pace until the All-Star break, it is highly likely we'll be in the playoffs, probably with the best record in the AL and possibly in the majors.

But that is no guarantee of postseason success. So what should the Sox consider doing to improve the team for October?

So far most of the talk has been about replacing Joe Crede at 3B with either Joe Randa or Eric Chavez (or possibly Aubrey Huff). Other ideas have focused on the bullpen. Eddie Guardado?

But I wonder if the Sox shouldn't consider something bigger that is likely to gain them more than just a microscopic improvement.

What about Ken Griffey Jr.? Now that he's healthy for the first time in years, won't the Reds be willing to trade him for a couple mid-level prospects if someone would take the rest of his contract off their hands? Would the Sox be willing to pay the freight? Should they?

I'm not sure that the Sox should, but I just wanted to post this to stimulate ideas that go beyond Joe Randa.

There is no gaurantee that ken griffey will remain healthy through the whole year. He hasnt been healthy for a whole year since he has been in Cincinatti. Furthermore, there is no need on this team for another outfielder/DH, the outfield is clogged enough as it is, and there isnt enough at bats for a combination of Griffey, Thomas, and Everett, even if one of them was traded. There would be prima donna syndrome all over the place.

keep thinking to yourself, third baseman and reliever, third baseman and reliever, third baseman and reliever.

Griffey is at this point in his career nothing more than a quality DH who keeps getting hurt every time he plays the field.

Thanks to his injuries, he won't be a defensive upgrade over ArRow like he would have been 5 years ago, and a hot ArRow can make up most of the difference with the bat, even though his power numbers will be somewhat lower.

He'd also cost way more than he's worth. We don't need any more outfielders. We need maybe 1 bullpen guy, if neither Viz nor Shingo can turn it around.

Va

I raised the possibility of getting Griffey almost 1 1/2 months back. At that point, I was all for benching Rowand to play Griffey. But after seeing Rowand getting back to his last year #s, we are fine.

We do nto need an OF'er. Think SS/3B/BP help.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Va

I raised the possibility of getting Griffey almost 1 1/2 months back. At that point, I was all for benching Rowand to play Griffey. But after seeing Rowand getting back to his last year #s, we are fine.

We do nto need an OF'er. Think SS/3B/BP help.

mackowiak is perfect, maybe they can even swing something where they get mike gonzalez as well...kind of like the cubs did for lofton ramirez simon in 03.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Maybe Ensberg.

Funny I havent heard the Chavez one. :P

There is no way that Chavez or Lidge is going to end up here.

NEVER say never KW could pull anything off,well what about Mota i heard they want to trade him?

Say NO to Griffey. That move would just make no sense. At least for this season. I would love to see him as our DH possibly in 2006, if KW doesnt re-sign Everett or Thomas back. But this year there just isn't room for him. Our outfield is awesome. Pods-Arow will be out there for years to come and Dye is hitting the ball now. And when Dye's contract expires after the 2006 season (or 2007 season?) I expect Sweeney or Anderson to take over in RF.

But as far as moves for this season are concerned: we need one more reliever (EDDY EDDY EDDY!!) And an a possible upgrade at 3B. Things are just fine w/ Crede as of now (only because of his defense) but if KW can upgrade there- this team would instantly become WS contenders if not already.

I don't think a trade for Griffey would be as dumb as many of you think. Sure we have a lot of OF/DH players right now... but depending on what the Reds want for him, I wouldn't mind seeing a deal. The Reds won't need big time prospects for him, and they would probably pay a bit of his salary. With Frank gone next year, and most likely Carl as well, I would welcome this move. Sure we have greater needs... but I am for making this team stronger in whatever ways that we can.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
First baseman and reliever, first baseman and reliever, first baseman and reliever.

There is no doubt that Pauly is the weakest link on this team. A cleanup hitter that fails to score a runner from third with less than two outs SIXTY PERCENT OF THE TIME!!!!! I'm not sure I'd keep Konerko over Timo.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
I don't think a trade for Griffey would be as dumb as many of you think.  Sure we have a lot of OF/DH players right now... but depending on what the Reds want for him, I wouldn't mind seeing a deal.  The Reds won't need big time prospects for him, and they would probably pay a bit of his salary.  With Frank gone next year, and most likely Carl as well, I would welcome this move.  Sure we have greater needs... but I am for making this team stronger in whatever ways that we can.

When you're picking up a player like Griffey, the deal is either the Reds pick up the salary and you give them quality players, or you pick up the salary & give them a little. Otherwise, there's no benefit to them to trade him. They wouldn't pay his salary just to get rid of him.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Ken Griffey Jr is my favorite baseball player of all time but even I will say...that would be an awful move.

ditto...but if he was on our team, itd still make me happy...in a sick stupid way

Don't skewer me about Ken Griffey Jr. If you read my post, what I really wanted was for people to start thinking outside the box about what the Sox could use to win the World Series this year.

Think about that for a minute. We haven't even won a playoff series since 1917. But we actually have a chance to go all the way, especially with the Yankees and Boston scuffling.

So what will it take to put us over the top? Let's hear some suggestions.

(In defense of Griffey, we could really use a lefty power bat that scares opponents, and Griffey has started to come on lately. Half his salary is deferred, so the Sox might agree to take him if the Reds just paid his deferred salary. Yes Griffey would take ABs away from Dye and Everett, but he really would just replace Timo Perez on the roster. And if things didn't work out this year, he would be good insurance against some possible losses in the offseason - like Konerko, Everett, and even Frank Thomas (who I'd rather keep). The move back to the AL would probably rejuvenate him further, especially when he would be jumping from a team out of it to the team atop baseball. Even so, I'm not sold on Griffey. I really just want to stimulate ideas.)