Which Pitcher would you trade MB for

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
All things considered--contracts, age, etc--Felix Hernandez, Johan Santana, Jeremy Bonderman, Jake Peavy, Doc Halladay, Ben Sheets.

I'm surprised Felix Hernandez's name has only been dropped once in this thread. Granted he hasn't pitched an inning of ML ball, but he's 19 and DESTROYING triple A. Everyone who has seen him has basically called him the second coming and he's probably the closest thing anyone will see to a "pitching prospect". I guess if Hernandez was part of a package deal for Buerhle, I'd drop MB, but it'd be a tough call at this moment.

As for the question at hand, the only two pitchers I would trade Buerhle for are Santana and Peavy. Period. Neither haven't had much of injury history and have better pure "stuff". Sheets and Halladay? Eh they're good, but I'd much rather have Buerhle.

Buerhle = face of the White Sox (Frank is as well). It's hard to put value on that, especially if he's one of the reasons Garland is turning it on.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
On WSCR Barry Rozner said he would only trade MB for Roy Oswalt..

Is their any starting pitcher you would want if you were to trade MB for.

Me personally I wouldnt trade MB for any starting pitcher

Barry Rozner has lost his mind. You trade MB and Sox fans will revolt worse than they did after the white flag trade.

Tonight is the perfect example of why you don't trade Mark unless someone's giving you like an A-Rod. And they pay 3/4 of the contract.

8 innings of shutout ball thus far, lightning fast, Dodgers just completley outgunned.

Like 42 straight games he's pitched 6 innings thus far. Not even Schilling did that. And Mark is still going.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Tonight is the perfect example of why you don't trade Mark unless someone's giving you like an A-Rod.  And they pay 3/4 of the contract.

8 innings of shutout ball thus far, lightning fast, Dodgers just completley outgunned.

Like 42 straight games he's pitched 6 innings thus far.  Not even Schilling did that.  And Mark is still going.

I am not the obly one who woudnt trade buehrle no matter what... :D

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Willis, Santana, thats about it.

No way in hell I would trade Buerhle for Willis. Willis may be 3 years younger but he's been inconsistent and pitches in the National League where all pitching stats are sqewed.

Jake Peavy and Roy Halladay are the only pitchers with equal or better value to Mark IMO. Johan Santana is close, but he's also a 26 year old lefty, and he's really only posted one good season. Everyone else is either too old, or doesn't have the resume that Mark does.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Jake Peavy and Roy Halladay are the only pitchers with equal or better value to Mark IMO. Johan Santana is close, but he's also a 26 year old lefty, and he's really only posted one good season. Everyone else is either too old, or doesn't have the resume that Mark does.

Maybe you should take your stats again with Johan Santana. One good season? he's had 2 really good seasons where he had only 14 and 18 starts in each. Then he had his ridiculous Cy Young campaign last year, where he pitched better than Buerhle ever has. Then this year, even though he's gotten off to a bad start he still has sick numbers. A 3.32 ERA, .90 WHIP with 121 Ks in 100.3 IP.

I'm gonna sound like a homer. But I really wouldn't trade him for anybody. Is Mark the most talented pitcher? No. The most dominating? No. Does he have the best stuff? No. Is he the most consistent? Well, since 2001, he has been. Is he the most durable? Has he ever been on the dl? I think not. You know what you're getting from Mark every year. That means A LOT in my book.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
Maybe you should take your stats again with Johan Santana. One good season? he's had 2 really good seasons where he had only 14 and 18 starts in each. Then he had his ridiculous Cy Young campaign last year, where he pitched better than Buerhle ever has. Then this year, even though he's gotten off to a bad start he still has sick numbers. A 3.32 ERA, .90 WHIP with 121 Ks in 100.3 IP.

In those two years you're talking about, he had 13 and 27 appearances from the bullpen, respectively. I'll admit he has good stats in those years, but don't you think for a guy who's used to starting, it's going to be easier to put up good numbers coming out of the pen? I'll also admit he's building a damn good case, but as of now, I wouldn't want to trade Buehrle for him. It doesn't help him that he plays for the Twins and knowing that if Buehrle were traded for him, we'd have to watch Buehrle pitch for the Twins (an image that would be quite disturbing to me, and I would think to most Sox fans as well).

Somebody would trade Mark for CC Sabathia?

Are you crazy?

I would trade him for NOBODY.

Today's game may have been one of the best pitched

games I've ever seen and I date back to Gary Peters.

Fricking amazing.

Congratulations, Mark B, you are one of the best

pitchers in White Sox history. Right now! Already!

Great job. You are a fricking stud.

GO SOX!

Right now it'd be hard to trade Mark for anybody. He pitches half his games at a park where home runs are plentiful. Last year this was his main weakness, he had something like a 5.02 ERA at home. This season? 5-0 with a 2.29 ERA and only 5 HR's given up in 55 IP, with a 37/4 K/BB ratio. He's still quite young, only making $6,000,000 this season, and we have him under out control for the next 2 to 3 years.

Such a hard question to answer.

With everything considered, there is quite honestly no pitcher I'd trade Buehrle for. You trade Buehrle, and you will be crucified by the fan base.

When taking out his value as the face of the franchise, names start popping up. Santana, Halladay, Sheets, King Felix, Oswalt, and many others too.

When taking out age all together, even more can be included, such as Schilling, Pedro, and again, probably others too.

So which point of view are we looking from?

First, let me say great thread idea, it's fun to look at what everyone else thinks. For me there is only 3 pitchers considering everything that can be thrown in with Mark and that's Peavy, Johan, and Halladay. Those are the only 3 guys that are even worth thinking about imo and even with those three I don't think I'd trade Mark straight up for any of them. As a fan right now it'd absolutely kill me to see Mark traded, Mark's is as good as there is in baseball right now and I think he's answered that question whether or not he's an ace and the answer is a definitive yes.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Such a hard question to answer.

With everything considered, there is quite honestly no pitcher I'd trade Buehrle for.  You trade Buehrle, and you will be crucified by the fan base.

When taking out his value as the face of the franchise, names start popping up.  Santana, Halladay, Sheets, King Felix, Oswalt, and many others too.

When taking out age all together, even more can be included, such as Schilling, Pedro, and again, probably others too.

So which point of view are we looking from?

Why "take out" anything? Buerhle is what Buerhle is.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
Why "take out" anything?  Buerhle is what Buerhle is.

Pretty much. I, of course, have not much more to say, so I'll just say that I would not trade Buehrle.

Then again, this topic is pretty much brought up at the wrong time. When baseball is this enjoyable, you don't want to break up a thing. Even suggesting this right now seems a little ridiculous.