Naoyuki Shimizu

dasox24

I found this snippet at the bottom of the page of THIS website if you want to check it out. The site has all the FA's for next offseason listed, as well as FA's for each offseason until 2010 if you want to check it out.

Naoyuki Shimizu: SP for the Chiba Lotte Mariners wants to come to MLB via posting system this off-season (specifically would like to join CHW) Agent: Don Nomura

He's 31 years old, and I highly doubt that we'd sign him. But, I saw that specifically wanted to come here, so I just thought I'd throw out the option. Plus, this might mean that other, and better, Japanese players might want to specifically come here too in the future. So, it's something to keep your eye on.

On the year, he's 6-4 in 12 starts w/ a 2.70 ERA.

We had a thread on this a few months back IIRC, when one of the New York papers broke this story. Of course I'd love to have Daisuke Matzusuka the most, but he's probably headed to San Diego, or one of the big spending teams. Unless one of Contreras or Hernandez was moved, highly unlikely this evantuates.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
We have talked about him a couple times on here. Where would we put him though? Our starting rotation is already set for next year and B-Mac is waiting in the wings.

1) Move one of the Cubans to the pen, preferably Contreras

2) Have you seen McCarthy's stats in the minors since he got sent back? He's getting crushed. Despite the gem he threw in Wrigley, he's not ready.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)

2) Have you seen McCarthy's stats in the minors since he got sent back?  He's getting crushed.  Despite the gem he threw in Wrigley, he's not ready.

1. Contreas has been GREAT this year. Don't touch him.

2. He may not be ready now, but he should be ready by next year. As long as he learns to keep the ball down, he is going to be something special.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)

2) Have you seen McCarthy's stats in the minors since he got sent back?  He's getting crushed.  Despite the gem he threw in Wrigley, he's not ready.

It's not worth having Contreras who will make something like $6 million next season, pitching in the bullpen. Use him as trade bait for a young first baseman, a good third baseman etc.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Or just don't trade him at all?

Well he shouldn't be moved from the rotation in the 1st place. What I'm saying is that IF he is moved to the pen, unless he's the closer, it's not worth having $6 million invested in a long relief guy. Trade him for something we could need instead.