Frank has a new fan

DePloderer

In a previous topic, having never seen him play, I asked how good Frank realy was. A number of people replied and told me he had been the best but he probably wouldn't come back as good as he used to be. The opinion seemed to be that we shouldn't expect too much. Having read some reports about his questionable attitude and his strained muscles and regular cramps I was beginning to wonder wether he might be a bit of a liability.

After staying up into the VERY early hours last night and seeing his performance I am converted, the man is a star.

With 5 HR in 25 AB, if he's not back to his best he must have been frightening in the past.

I might have to change my sig!

Frank is the greatest Sox hitter of all time. He was also the best right-handed hitter of the 90's in the entire MLB. That's saying a lot because Frank never used steroids like many hitters at the time. He should have 3 MVP awards right now but steroid-boy Giambi stole his third from him in 2000. His ridiculous career numbers speak for themselves...

Frank's career stats

.308 AVG

.429 OBP

.569 SLG

.998 OPS

441 HR

1446 RBI

1453 BB

1140 SO

He was one of the most feared hitters of his time and he still is.

Edited by Jabroni

Gotta get back over 1.000 in OPS.

:)

Hall of Fame voters might be biased against him because he is primarily a DH.

Yep, but it would be bulls***. The MLB created the DH for the A.L. How can they penalize a player for being a DH then? And Frank still wasn't a bad 1st baseman when he played the position. He just couldn't throw the ball because of his ginormous hands.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
Gotta get back over 1.000 in OPS.

:)

Hall of Fame voters might be biased against him because he is primarily a DH.

Frank may not be a first ballot enshrinee, but he is a certain Hall of Famer. His combination of stats - walks, rbis, runs, hrs, career batting average - cannot be ignored.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 07:02 AM)
of coarse I go to the bathroom in that in. Of coarse they were packed and you could barely hear the radio. So everyone is quiet and Frank jacked one out. That has happened to me twice this year with Frank. I will now go to the bathroom everytime Frank comes up and we need some runs!! :bang

We'll all be thinking of you.

This stretch is definitly shades of Frank at his best and it's beautiful to see. Hitting missiles that get out of the park even though they only get about 20 feet off the ground, LOL, that is vintage Big Hurt. All Sox fans pretty much feel the way you do right now. We love seeing this, especially adding into a season that (at least to this point) is better than could be imagined. The reaction at The Cell when Frank hammers one is like no other reaction any of the other guys get, especially (like the last two games) when they're important to the game.

The main thing right now is doing everything possible to keep him healthy, which means giving him rest (even if he's ripping the cover off the ball) and pinch running for him quite often late in games. And about his "attitude problems" or whatever, mehhh, that's mostly been just the media looking for things to be negative about, or Frank making a mistake in something he says to the media, and then having it blown out of proportion.

If Frank continues to be a threat his other real value will begin to be seen, and that's the effect he has on how productive the rest of the batting order can be around him. The guys in front of him (usually Podsednik and Iguchi) will begin to get more strikes to hit, because pitchers will be thinking "I have to go right at these guys, I gotta get to Frank with no one base. I can't walk these guys." PODS and Gooch become more aggressive because they know they're going to get more pitches right down the middle. Then you want to see something fun/dangerous? Have Iguchi on first and Pods on second, the pitcher scared that they might steal, and the pitcher scared out of his mind because Frank might make it 3-0 in a heartbeat, or worse yet, might hit a decapitating line drive.

And guys hitting behind him benefit too. The pressure on Konerko, Rowand, Dye, etc is lessened, especially when Frank has already driven in runs before them, the rest don't press, don't feel it's all up to them. Look at the 10 run inning from Wed. night, Frank makes something happen, then the guys behind him go nuts.

:notworthy

Frank is awesome. No matter what anybody says, Frank kicks ass. And the nickname "The Big Hurt" is actually applying to him now. The last couple of years it took a break.( last year he was hurt and two years ago he hit .267, and three years ago he hit .252, not typical Frank numbers)

Edited by sayitaintso

Frank is a presence in the lineup. He almost always has great ABs and is probably the most patient slugger the game has ever seen. Some say that patience is to his detriment, but that is the way he learned to play the game.

Frank's recent stretch is really a great sign considering how long it had been since the man had seen major league pitching. The man was born to hit and if that's not good enough for Hall of Fame standards, the Hall of Fame is a sham. If Frank finishes this season healthy and plays most of 2006, there's no doubt in my mind he's in Cooperstown first chance he gets.

Frank is a patient, disciplined hitter. If healthy there is no reason he can't put up some big power number for another three seasons or so. I know that although JR will show loyalty to personal favorites in the office and on the field, neither Ozzie or KW seem to care much for him. I hope he doesn't get the shaft.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
Frank still has some pop in his bat. In all reality, I think he could probably still play another 5 years.    :cheers Frank!!

hes got another 1 or 2 in the tank sure but 5 years? he's already having trouble staying healthy with his short stint back with the sox 5 years is quite the strecth dont u think? ;)

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
hes got another 1 or 2 in the tank sure but 5 years? he's already having trouble staying healthy with his short stint back with the sox 5 years is quite the strecth dont u think? ;)

Not too old for a DH. You seriously don't think he can't DH for 5 more years?

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Not too old for a DH. You seriously don't think he can't DH for 5 more years?

nope sure the DH is less strenuating but hell big frank can hardly run the bases which i know #35 will be doing alot...i just dont see him sticking around another 5 years 3 tops but JMO i dont disrespect yours :gosox3:

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
nope sure the DH is less strenuating but hell big frank can hardly run the bases which i know #35 will be doing alot...i just dont see him sticking around another 5 years 3 tops but JMO i dont disrespect yours :gosox3:

I see your point. We'll just have to see how the final chapters of Franks career unfold :gosox3:

If Juan Gonzalez can keep getting people to sign him to contracts despite the fact that he's been constantly hurt every single year since like 2001 or so, then Frank can keep getting people to sign him to DH for at least 5 years.

Even if he only ends up playing half a season for whatever team he signs for...he's still probably going to end up with 20 home runs in that half of a season, and he'll give that lineup a major punch.

Even if he's getting hurt a fair amount, he's still going to wind up being a dominant hitter. And if he keeps his weight under better control like he is this year (fish diet?), then there's no reason he can't stay around for a long time.

I think I speak for most Sox fans and most of the active members of Soxtalk when I say I would love to see Frank end his career in Silver and Black.

I cringe at the thought of him in Fenway, or, God forbid, in pinstripes, staring down Garland or Buehrle.

I think he has 5 years easily... have you seen him? He does not look like a 36 year old man to me.. he looks like he is in great shape.. Look at his injuries though, they arent really nagging injuries it was what.. a torn bicep and then a broken foot.. I think he still has a lot in the tank, and being a DH is only helping him out

Frank Thomas was the best hitter in the league during the 90's. He was unstoppable. He was also robbed of a 3rd AL MVP in 2000.

He still puts fear into pitchers heads, and he makes our line-up a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Frank's had a couple of freakish injuries, that's for sure. If Frank wants to play another 5 years, he better start listening to Herm instead of waiting till something happens and then start listening.

I'm not sure Frank will ever completely overcome this current injury. I hope that by next March he'll be back to 100%. If he can do that and avoid any more major injuries, then he can hit for 5 years.