Summer Concerts

Texsox

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
I'm debating whether or not to go to Intonation.  A lot of that ultra Indie noise rock geeky s*** is just too wierd for me.  It's almost like wierdness just for that sake of being different and pretentious. A lot of it really sux.

Sigur Ros puts me to sleep, but hey to each his own,  :huh

it all depends on what you find interesting in music...

kind of like with movies...if angles and lighting and gritty shots thrill you, you may like movies that others find deathly boring...Sigur Ros' intricate backdrops of their music are really beautiful to me and i think they just have a really interesting mood in their music.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
About the only thing I dislike about Toby Keith is he is on the wrong side of the Red River Rivalry. Instead of singing I should have been a cowboy, he should be singing I should have been a Texan

I imagine "I love this bar" must have been huge.

Everybody went nuts during "I Love This Bar", "The Taliban Song" and (of course) "The Angry American". Funniest part of the night was after he was talking about being on tour with Willie Nelson, they wrote a song called "Weed With Willie". So they played the song which was pretty damn funny. Then Toby says: "Hey, if you're seventy-two years old out doing 200 concerts a year, you have the right to smoke anything you want to." I've always been surprised that a pretty lefty hippie like Willie Nelson has been able to get over with a pretty traditionally right wing crowd that, albeit stereotypically, prefers country music.

I saw Judas Priest last weekend, and then saw a small show at the Bitter End in NYC, Autumn Under Echoes (good) and Sputnik's Down (terrible.)

G Love and Special Sauce come to the Jersey Shore July 8 at Surf Club in Seaside.

Tegan and Sara come to Stone Pony in Asbury July 13.

Brian Wilson and his Orchestra come to do Smile live at the PNCBankArtsCenter in August.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Everybody went nuts during "I Love This Bar", "The Taliban Song" and (of course) "The Angry American".  Funniest part of the night was after he was talking about being on tour with Willie Nelson, they wrote a song called "Weed With Willie".  So they played the song which was pretty damn funny.  Then Toby says: "Hey, if you're seventy-two years old out doing 200 concerts a year, you have the right to smoke anything you want to."  I've always been surprised that a pretty lefty hippie like Willie Nelson has been able to get over with a pretty traditionally right wing crowd that, albeit stereotypically, prefers country music.

LOL thinking of Willie on Lake Street, under the L tracks, buying some weed. :D

I think part of Willie's appeal is he is kind of an outcast. That sells in country a lot of times. Willie has also been the master of being other artists little buddy. He has hitched his wagon to more thoroughbreds than anyone else I can think of.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
it all depends on what you find interesting in music...

kind of like with movies...if angles and lighting and gritty shots thrill you, you may like movies that others find deathly boring...Sigur Ros' intricate backdrops of their music are really beautiful to me and i think they just have a really interesting mood in their music.

You're right, it all comes down to personal taste.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
I saw Judas Priest last weekend, and then saw a small show at the Bitter End in NYC, Autumn Under Echoes (good) and Sputnik's Down (terrible.)

G Love and Special Sauce come to the Jersey Shore July 8 at Surf Club in Seaside.

Tegan and Sara come to Stone Pony in Asbury July 13.

Brian Wilson and his Orchestra come to do Smile live at the PNCBankArtsCenter in August.

G. Love :headbang he's great live

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
I'm debating whether or not to go to Intonation.  A lot of that ultra Indie noise rock geeky s*** is just too wierd for me.  It's almost like wierdness just for that sake of being different and pretentious. A lot of it really sux.

Sigur Ros puts me to sleep, but hey to each his own,  :huh

And the other stuff gives me a giant raging headache and makes me wonder why people even bother sometimes. :D

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Allman Brothers Band

Beck

Coldplay

Devo

Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson

Rufus Wainwright

White Stripes

Who they did  not mention:

Broken Social Scene

tortoise, broken social scene, and the Go! team are the reason i still want to go to day one...

when/where is beck playing? He is the absolute best live...well, not absolute best...maybe he is...i'd love to see guero live though...i'm sure he's excited to play those songs after sea change (beautiful as that record was.)

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Saw them in 1998. Awesome show... his bootleg stuff that he sells at shows are pretty damn good, but again he's an artist who's past his peak.

i saw him in 2002 at NIU...

i liked philadelphonic but nothing since...

Possibly ACL Festival in Sept. Although Coldplay is the headliner, which kinda goes against everything I would want in a concert. But, there are 150 other bands...so, I think I could leave before that.

It's also 100 degrees in the shade in Austin in September...so that would suck.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(FoxySoxGirl @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
How much are Dave Matthews tickets going for? This will be the first time in 4 years I haven't been to a DMB show. Have any so far been good? :huh

Welcome to Soxtalk and SL&P :cheers :cheers

Check out the game chat

QUOTE(teh shiz @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Gigantour- Dream Theater/Megadeth

Sounds of the Underground- Clutch

I'll go to Gigantour to see Dillinger Escape Plan. Really don't have any urge to see anyone else.

Sounds of the Underground has a lot of bands I want to see. Unearth, Lamb of God, Poison the Well, Strapping Young Lad and Opeth.

QUOTE(FoxySoxGirl @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
How much are Dave Matthews tickets going for? This will be the first time in 4 years I haven't been to a DMB show. Have any so far been good? :huh

Welcome; I went and I got my ticket for $45 for a lawn seat in Noblesville, IN. I absolutely loved it, and I definitely want to see him again.

Just got back from seeing Santanna at the taste. We were pretty far back and couldn't hear s***.

Last night I saw the Black Crowes and Tom Petty at Summerfest. The Crowes kicked major ass, although you couldn't make out anything Chris was singing.

If you're a big Petty fan, he puts on a fun show. He plays only his hits, talks to the crowd a lot and does a lot of 'sing along' stuff.

QUOTE(FoxySoxGirl @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)

Basically, the rest of the summer is almost sold out. You can find good seats from scalpers at the venues though. They play in July at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin 2 nights. I'll be at both and it should be awesome. He's starting to break away from this average new album a little bit. Last year at Alpine he played Superfreak after Rick James died so this show should be good.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Anyone else going to Lolla in a few weeks? At first I was really excited, now I'm not sure I can make a commitment of two full days.

Some good bands playing, and lots of bands I just don't want to hear, I thought about it, but now I'm not so sure, how expensive are tickets?