El Duque

southsideirish71

"The kid has a chance to make a mark for himself," said the White Sox general manager of McCarthy. "We cannot go through this back and forth all year, and [El Duque] has the information. I told him, 'You need to let me know right now if I can depend on you or whether I have to get someone else or I should bring this kid up.'

"This is the big leagues. We aren't going to sit around and play guessing games from week to week."

Hernandez's weekend tale took a strange turn between Saturday and Sunday's pregame. Both Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen mentioned that El Duque pronounced himself fit to pitch Monday night, despite some tightness in his trapezius muscle, when they talked to him yesterday afternoon.

Following Saturday's exciting 5-3 victory over the Dodgers, Hernandez pulled Guillen aside and said that the situation had changed and he was now unavailable. That decision led to the return of McCarthy, and caused Williams' outward frustration Sunday.

Hernandez, who is listed at 35 years old, declined comment, relaying a message through Ozzie Guillen Jr. that he agrees with his manager and GM's assessment of the injury. Unfortunately, the veteran hurler was not able to talk about Williams' challenge.

It could mean a trip to the bullpen for El Duque. It could mean Hernandez, who is 7-2 with a 4.88 ERA, has to get healthy and get back on the mound as quickly as he can.

"We will have to cross that road when we get there," Williams said. "It might be the bullpen [for El Duque]. It might be something where we have to make an adjustment, but the kid [McCarthy] has every opportunity to establish himself right here and right now."

"I don't think it's serious, but it's a headache," Guillen added. "I don't want whenever Duque starts two or three games that we have to start thinking about what we are going to do and how he is. That's why we will let him rest, so he can come back strong."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for beating the deadhorse but I still have the gut feeling that he is going to be swapped for another starter in july. Duque's trade value is obviously much much less than it was 6 weeks ago so I'd imagine we'd end up taking a guy back who has his own warts. Mac has been struggling lately so I think there isn't a whole lot of optimism about this call up besides that he gets to face the Royals AAAA team.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
Sorry for beating the deadhorse but I still have the gut feeling that he is going to be swapped for another starter in july.

I can't think of any teams that would want to do this straight up. Something else would have to be involved.

KW and Ozzie are overreacting big time. They knew what they were getting themselves into with El Duque and the plan was for him to have 4 "rests" in the season. He's one of our big game pitchers and we're going to need him for when we face the Twins. They knew what they were getting themselves into, so just deal with it.

I must be the only one who says good riddance. I expected nothing out of Duque when they signed him and as far as I'm concerned he's done more than I ever thought he would (he is well over .500) and now Bmac's gonna come in and kick some butt.

If Duque gets healthy later on fine, thats a good problem to have.

well let's think outloud here. We know the Yankees would have some interest. Probably not a fit there as a trading partner. The Marlins might think about doing an Al Leiter for Hernandez swap as Leiter has been brutal but had a good night last night when they desperately needed him. Leiter is pulling down around 7-8 this year and its true that el Duque's contract goign through next year complicates things. The Mets would surely be interested because it would tweak the Yankees and a Hernandez return to New York would play very well with the fans and the media. There probably isn't a very sensible guy to be sent back as the Mets have no relief pitching to deal and with Benson and Pedro entrenched-Zambrano and Glavine aren't guys that either side would be too excited about.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I must be the only one who says good riddance. I expected nothing out of Duque when they signed him and as far as I'm concerned he's done more than I ever thought he would (he is well over .500) and now Bmac's gonna come in and kick some butt. 

If Duque gets healthy later on fine, thats a good problem to have.

I say they just shut down El Duque from now until the ASG so he could get proper rest. That'd be the smart thing to do. You get a good feel of what BMac could do and you rest El Duque properly.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
I say they just shut down El Duque from now until the ASG so he could get proper rest. That'd be the smart thing to do. You get a good feel of what BMac could do and you rest El Duque properly.

i thought we should do that as early as ...well, the signing. his age is probably closer to 40 than we would like.

that said, i dont know if i even want someone who is going to need several months off just so he can get a few healthy starts. seeing as how he had arm troubles last year, i think shelving him for awhile and then putting him back in the rotation would just lead to us losing him later in the year.

another thing... if he gets arm problems in the playoffs, you just know he wont report them. after all, he seems to already be hiding his issues here in mid-June

maybe long relief for awhile isnt the worst idea... once he's healthy of course. benefits us because we dont really have RH long relief right now. you go see if BMac can do the job for a long trial, but also you find out whether El Duque is going to really hold up.... if he gets "healthy" and then falters again... and BMac cant succeed.... then you know you have to go out and get another arm.

creative idea: get a veteran lefty reliever and get Cotts in at 5th again?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Yes, so he could give up double the amount of runs he does now at the Cell. :bang

aah Zito is a victim of poor run support. his ERA is high, but his BAA is .235 and he gets himself into trouble with walks. I'd be willing to bet with some run support he'd have a better attitude and give up less walks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
I've said it for a while, but Bmac is gonna take over the spot in the rotation and he's not going back to the minors.

Who's spot would you want him to take when El Duque comes back. Shingo and Viz have been doing well lately. The only way i see Brandon staying up here is if we trade a reliever.

everybody knew there was no way El Duque could start 35 times this year.

He's probably 40 years old.

He's been hurt every year.

With all the days off in June (every Thursday) they should have been giving him extra rest all along.

He's a very good clutch pitcher.

We need to ride this out. We'll need him in August and September.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
Who's spot would you want him to take when El Duque comes back. Shingo and Viz have been doing well lately. The only way i see Brandon staying up here is if we trade a reliever.

Who says Duque comes back. I'll worry about that when it happens. I'm the wrong guy to talk to about Duque, I think he's been insanely lucky and hasn't deserved to be in the rotation the past few starts (I hope I'm wrong and he comes back and kicks butt though).

I just have zero faith in him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Who says Duque comes back.  I'll worry about that when it happens.  I'm the wrong guy to talk to about Duque, I think he's been insanely lucky and hasn't deserved to be in the rotation the past few starts (I hope I'm wrong and he comes back and kicks butt though). 

He has been pretty bad. I was at his game on Tuesday when he got shelled. He was alright through the first couple of innings, then he just seemed to fall apart. I don't know if it was that injury he has or just him blowing it, but he didn't seem normal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Who says Duque comes back.  I'll worry about that when it happens.  I'm the wrong guy to talk to about Duque, I think he's been insanely lucky and hasn't deserved to be in the rotation the past few starts (I hope I'm wrong and he comes back and kicks butt though). 

Sounds like you might know a little something. Duque getting traded? I don't know if I'm ready to trust McCarthy with the 5th starter role.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
He has been pretty bad. I was at his game on Tuesday when he got shelled. He was alright through the first couple of innings, then he just seemed to fall apart. I don't know if it was that injury he has or just him blowing it, but he didn't seem normal.

Well I think he's been awful all season, minus one start. He's been insanely lucky, his WHIP has to be amongst the leagues worse (in terms of guys with the amount of starts he's made). You can't keep getting away with that. He's given up way more hits than IP and on top of that has given up a lot of BB's.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)

He's been struggling since that Texas game.....before that he was pretty good

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Sounds like you might know a little something.  Duque getting traded?  I don't know if I'm ready to trust McCarthy with the 5th starter role.

I don't completely have faith in Brandon to fill the 5th starters spot just yet. I still think he is a year from being ready. But with the way El Duque has been playing latley, why not give him a chance.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)

Or if el duque dosent start.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Well I think he's been awful all season, minus one start.  He's been insanely lucky, his WHIP has to be amongst the leagues worse (in terms of guys with the amount of starts he's made).  You can't keep getting away with that.  He's given up way more hits than IP and on top of that has given up a lot of BB's.

Right in the first month-month and a half of the season he did well IMO. Now he just seems to be getting tired or something. Nagging injuries is my guess. Why he just doesn't try to let them heal is something I don't know, and how long it would take them to heal is just a guessing game.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Or if el duque dosent start.

Unless you leave him on the DL, or put him in the pen, we would have 26 players on the roster, we can only have 25. So what would you do with the extra player is what i'm curious about.