Crede on Block?

daa84

i know most of you hate espn and place no stock in their assessments, but buster olney is pretty good...heres what he said in his chat today.

it hasnt sounded like kenny has wanted to move crede but maybe he will.

personally, i dont want to see crede go for randa. everyone loves randa, but hes old, and is a .260-.270 hitter who will give 15 homers and play solid 3b. Id rather have crede hit .250 with 25 homers and play excellent D

Paul (Chicago): Buster, always enjoy your thoughts in your columns. Any chance Kenny Williams makes a move for a Rusch/Wakefield/Leiter type who can spot start when needed? What about making a move for Joe Randa to replace the atrocious Joe Crede?

Buster Olney: (11:40 AM ET ) Paul: I don't think they ahve a need for a another starter, but I totally agree with you about Crede -- he really doesn't fit their style of play,because he's a big swing and miss guy in a lineup in which contact is really valued. Supposedly, according to other executives, you could make a deal for Crede right now, and I also agree with you that Randa would be an excellent fit for them, because he knows the league, he's a good third baseman (at least he was the last time I saw him play in person, last year), and he'll put the ball in play.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
i know most of you hate espn and place no stock in their assessments, but buster olney is pretty good...heres what he said in his chat today.

it hasnt sounded like kenny has wanted to move crede but maybe he will.

personally, i dont want to see crede go for randa. everyone loves randa, but hes old, and is a .260-.270 hitter who will give 15 homers and play solid 3b. Id rather have crede hit .250 with 25 homers and play excellent D

Joe Randa is not a .260-.270 hitter he's a .285-.295 hitter. Check his career stats.

Aaaaaand they're off ...

I sense a White Sox Josh sighting at any moment, with Joe Randa pictured in a Sox hat. :bang

The guy who wrote in is probably on either this site or WSI, and Buster Olney is the same guy who didn't know half of the players the White Sox had at the beginning of this year. His info pipeline seems to be a little off.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Personally, i'm just amazed at how rapidly Joe went from having an amazing and functional swing in the first few weeks of the season back to flying open and swinging for the fences every time he's up.

Good old Joe is back. He was taking a break the first few weeks of the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Personally, i'm just amazed at how rapidly Joe went from having an amazing and functional swing in the first few weeks of the season back to flying open and swinging for the fences every time he's up.

I've been able to watch the last two games and I can think of quite a few time Joe's went to right or center in those games.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
I've been able to watch the last two games and I can think of quite a few time Joe's went to right or center in those games.

That's why he is starting to hit a big again, working the ball to center and to right field. Even yesterday after his first hit he absolutely scorched a ball into centerfield but unfortunately it was right at Drew.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Joe Randa is not a .260-.270 hitter he's a .285-.295 hitter. Check his career stats.

Randa the once sox killer now the sox thriller???

Well I don't know about this move...even if it is possible. Is it worth risking the chemisty of the team for what may only be a slightly better hitter?? I say no.

I tend to put more stock in Ozzie's comments than any one else when it comes to Joe Crede. Ozzie clearly likes Joe & views him as a GG 3B even though he's never proven to be one .. yet.

What struck me most is when Ozzie recently said if Joe produces 70R & 20HR that's fine by me. The last two yrs he's avg'd 67.5R, & 20HR. Ozzie didn't just pull the figure out of a hat.

Does Ozzie think he can pull Joe out of the BorASS stable? Maybe there's something between Ozzie & Joe we don't know about that makes Ozzie think Joe will remain with the White Sox the next few yrs.

Crede's current streak? 11H/31AB, 5R, 5RBI. With 300AB to go for the season he's could end up with 78R, & 20HR. Surpassing Ozzie's new lowereed expectations.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Uh, as to why no GM has made the deal for him...

You know, I bet if he wasn't a boras client we'd actually have offers...

Even when a guy struggles with his first team, if he's shown a lot of talent in the minors, usually there'll be a couple of teams who are willing to give you something for him thinking that their hitting coaches will work where ours have failed.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Randa the once sox killer now the sox thriller???

Well I don't know about this move...even if it is possible.  Is it worth risking the chemisty of the team for what may only be a slightly better hitter??  I say no.

Depends, what kind of a clubhouse guy is Randa supposed to be?

unless KW is flying under the radar I can't see Crede going anywhere. Ozzie has called him the Garland of 2004 and he expects him to be the Garland of 2005 next season. He always praises his defense as well.

The only move i see happening is getting another arm or 2. We can possibly get a solid reliever as well as a solid spot starter- just in case El-duque's arm is seriously injured and BMac doesn't pan out.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
The only move i see happening is getting another arm or 2. We can possibly get a solid reliever as well as a solid spot starter- just in case El-duque's arm is seriously injured and BMac doesn't pan out.

This next stretch could determine that.

Hell, there's even been rumblings of BMac keeping the starting spot if he earns it and El Duque becoming long-relief when he gets back.