Ever Notice

jerseysox

But whenever the White Sox are mentioned on Baseball Tonight or SportsCenter or the Best Damn Sports Around the Horn That Pardons The Interruption Show, they are ALWAYS referred to as "the team with the best record in baseball," never, "the best team in baseball."?

Does anyone else notice this? Is it just me? Am I crazy? Bugs the balls off of me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
I think Anaheim has an edge over us, if not Boston also. One of those two will eliminate us should we make it to the postseason, baring a move by Kenny.

i'll give you boston. but anaheim? you're drunk. after colon, they have nothing. Jarrod Washburn? Paul Byrd? Scary.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
i'll give you boston. but anaheim? you're drunk. after colon, they have nothing. Jarrod Washburn? Paul Byrd? Scary.

i think the angels are better then boston,but that America League team located in chicago is better then both of them

Edited by Spod=Ratings

I thought you were supposed to go into the playoffs with good pitching? Like Jersey said, I am not scared of what Anaheim throws to the bump after Bartolo. And give me a Mark-Bartolo matchup, and I will take Mark 7 days of the week.

Boston is scary with Schiiling and Clement, but lets see how Curt comes back.

Boston and Anaheim also both have lineups that will pound Garcia. He loves to give up the longball, and they're stacked with power.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
I thought you were supposed to go into the playoffs with good pitching? Like Jersey said, I am not scared of what Anaheim throws to the bump after Bartolo. And give me a Mark-Bartolo matchup, and I will take Mark 7 days of the week.

Boston is scary with Schiiling and Clement, but lets see how Curt comes back.

even if schilling is so-so, their pitching is good enough considering how lethal that offense is. i can see garland getting pounded in Fenway.

Alright, so because one of are pitchers gives up the longball, we are not the best team in baseball and will get beat us in the postseason, because Freddy Garcia gives up the longball. Thats what your going with?

My point is this:

Anaheim and Boston both have the ability to shut us down in a short series and essentially neutralize one of our big advantages. They both have an ace that can outduel our #1 and they both have a lineup that can destroy Garcia.

Basically, that's 2 wins for them everytime they face us in the playoffs. You can see how that's unhealthy.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Btw, with Boston and Freddy.

Freddy-10 HR's this season.

Clement-6

Wells-11

Wakefield-10

Arroyo-10

Next argument

our sox aren't as trendy as the red sox, therefore we lose.

duh.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
People just can't seem to jump over that hump that this team is for real, and not going away. I know it doesnt happen much Sox fans, but let your guard down a little bit, enjoy, and have faith in this team.

all you have to do is peek into a gamethread and see that what you said is exactly right. If sox fans can't enjoy this season, why be fans?

I believe we're 26-5 against the central, say that to yourself before you freak out over garcia giving up a solo homerun.

I am having so much fun watching this team, I only wish others would just relax and enjoy it.

Then we disagree, especailly with the #1 outueling us. I have, especailly this season, gained enough confidence in Mark that he can go pitch for pitch with any Ace in this league.

I disagree, for this reason. Schilling/Clement and, to a lesser extent, Colon, are essentially power pitchers, whereas Mark is a finesse guy. I think that makes him inherently less reliable, because of his reliance on things like defense and trickery. Sure, Uribe/Crede are solid, but they're still human. They're still going to make mistakes.

If you strike guys out rather than induce grounders, as long as the guy behind the plate has a rudimentary catching ability, you're a lot better off.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
i really didn't want to debate our chances in a postseason series with anaheim and boston. i wanted to find out why we aren't considered what we are -- the best team in baseball.

i personally think your looking for something to complain about.

Who else would notice this and start a thread about it?

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
I disagree, for this reason. Schilling/Clement and, to a lesser extent, Colon, are essentially power pitchers, whereas Mark is a finesse guy.

Power or finesse, I'm not sure how Matt Clement and Bartolo Colon are more reliable than Buehrle. They've both been pretty inconsistant throughout their careers, and don't be surprised if Clement fades away in the second half, as he has the past few seasons.

I'll give you Schilling, but I'd feel pretty confident with Buehrle against the other two.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
I disagree, for this reason. Schilling/Clement and, to a lesser extent, Colon, are essentially power pitchers, whereas Mark is a finesse guy. I think that makes him inherently less reliable, because of his reliance on things like defense and trickery. Sure, Uribe/Crede are solid, but they're still human. They're still going to make mistakes.

If you strike guys out rather than induce grounders, as long as the guy behind the plate has a rudimentary catching ability, you're a lot better off.

If thats the case it meens more pitches. Then we are in that joke of a bullpen Boston has.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
I have learned in the last few weeks just to sit on the recliner, or go over to the GF's house to watch the game, then come on. The gamethreads are just to dumb to even waste my time in. I do however love looking back on the line up of people ready to jump of the ledge when Mark gives up a basehit, or anyone on the team grounds out.

This is an amazing site, but the one thing I try and stay away from is the game threads (even though I end up there on occassion). Little sense is ever made there and the overly dramatic mood swings are maddening. I'm not criticizing anybody...its a good place to vent frustrations, but it'll drive you nuts if you are looking for rational well thought analyzation.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
This is an amazing site, but the one thing I try and stay away from is the game threads (even though I end up there on occassion).  Little sense is ever made there and the overly dramatic mood swings are maddening.  I'm not criticizing anybody...its a good place to vent frustrations, but it'll drive you nuts if you are looking for rational well thought analyzation.

game threads would be great if actual discussion took place there. the constant "dye flies out. 2 outs" and the like are useless. about 8 percent of it is good.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)

You remind me of a poster from a different board. Not to mention you registered around here right around the same time this other guy got banned.

Edited by Rowand44