Sox @ A's 7/1 Game Thread 9:05CT

Spiff

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the sox will hit Harden well.  He is a fastball pitcher and will challenge them over the plate.  They hve more problems with finesse pitchers who paint the outside corner.

They hit him well the last time they faced him...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

I hope they do it again. I also hope Contreras doesn't pitch like a wuss and walk guys. The A's know how to take them.

Edited by Jabroni

Let's go Jose...you can do it...you're due for another great game.

Does anyone know what umpiring crew we've got tonight? As long as its not Wendlestedt's group (spelling?)...

We'd have at least won 2 of 3 last time in this Hell hole if the umps hadn't blown so many calls, and I'm not just talking about Crede's HBP.

The Tigers were supposedly on a hot streak before they ran into us. They were supposed to come home and then really start making a move. And then they ran into Mark Buehrle. And it almost wasn't even fair.

Oakland is hot right now. People are back and they're healthy. It's time to show another hot team who the real boss in this league is.

Buster Olney's Forward Thinking today has a blurb on this game...

• 10:05 p.m. ET: Oakland has whipped off seven straight victories, and this weekend, they will face The Team That Never Loses, the White Sox. Jose Contreras pitches for Chicago, Rich Harden works for the Athletics. A good test for both teams, because Oakland doesn't match up well against teams that run the bases aggressively, like Chicago, and the White Sox are running into the league's hottest pitching staff.
"The Team That Never Loses"...I like that.

Oakland have really been swinging the bats well lately, and that's mainly due to 2 guys, Dan Johnson and Bobby Crosby. They've made the A's lineup deeper, and taken off the pressure on the likes of Chavez who have responded in part.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
Oakland have really been swinging the bats well lately, and that's mainly due to 2 guys, Dan Johnson and Bobby Crosby. They've made the A's lineup deeper, and taken off the pressure on the likes of Chavez who have responded in part.

Getting Crosby back was absolutely huge for them.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
i think we're gonna feel like someone dropped a banana in our pants and turned a monkey loose after this game.

just like we were gonna get swept in detroit?

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:35 AM)
just like we were gonna get swept in detroit?

Or when the game B-Mac was pitching was an automatic loss right Jabroni?

I'd give anything to see Contreras shake his head yes rather than no so often. Take the sign from AJ and throw the ball you commie defector!

I think the Sox will be up for this series BIG TIME. The A's are hot and this will be a good test for the Sox to see how they match up with a team that at least is playing some of the best baseball in the league right now.

Or when the game B-Mac was pitching was an automatic loss right Jabroni?

When did I ever say that Detroit would sweep us? I thought we would win 2 of 3, losing the game that McCarthy pitched. And the caverns of Comerica saved him big time. If you don't realize that, you are kidding yourself.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
While the As are hot, bear in mind who they played 7 of their last 10 games again (I think it was 7 anyways)...the Mariners.

4 at Seattle - they took 3, then 3 home against San Fran who they swept then 3 at home against Seattle who they also swept.

Before that, they took 2 of 3 at home against Philly (who went into a slump after their big home-stand winning streak), 2 of 3 at home against the Mets (did not face Pedro), and 2 of 3 from the Braves in Hotlanta, right before the Braves caught fire.

I'd say the last time they faced a team on any sort of a winning streak was Washington right before that, who swept the A's.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 05:38 AM)
When did I ever say that Detroit would sweep us?  I thought we would win 2 of 3, losing the game that McCarthy pitched.  And the caverns of Comerica saved him big time.  If you don't realize that, you are kidding yourself.

The caverns of Comerica have saved Jason Johnson for a long time too. I'm just saying when you automatically give up on a game before it's been played, doesn't create a very good vibe.

The caverns of Comerica have saved Jason Johnson for a long time too. I'm just saying when you automatically give up on a game because it's been played, doesn't create a very good vibe.

Agreed. The difference is that McCarthy will have to pitch his home games at the Cell, on July 4th to be exact. He has given up deep flies every start. He didn't just do it at Comerica.

I thought we would win 2 of 3. That isn't bad at all. But I'm happy that they did better than I thought they would and swept the Tiggers instead. :headbang

Edited by Jabroni