Sox @ A's 7/1 Game Thread 9:05CT

Spiff

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

Once again, the Sox will need to find a way to grind this out. Things tend to go against them out there in Oakland.

The one thing I like is Ozzie had no one warming up last inning. It was as if to tell Contreras to man up. This is a pennant race, get your mind right.

My advice for the Sox when facing a tough pitcher: If you get runners on base, and the opposing team's catcher sucks, don't be afraid to try a hit-and-run! It's hard to string together 3 hits against Harden in an inning, so we're much better off not waiting for the 3 run homer, and trying to get a cheap run, etc.

We'll see what happens. I'm not sure we're going to be looking to invest the type of money Burnett will get in another starter with Buehrle and Garcia already making decent money and Garland due a raise. Even factoring in what we already pay Contreras that would be roughly another $3.5 mil on top (I think, what is it, $7 mil for the Count next year?). That guy who's name I'd butcher from Japan might be interesting, but we'll probably be in a bidding war.

You didn't get what I was saying.

I wasn't saying that they're planning on investing money in another starter with Buehrle + Garcia + (potentially) Garland on the hook for $20 million plus. I was just saying that he'll be valuable on the open market if he can put up a 4.25 ERA. Think Texas -- they're always looking for pitching.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
He is right, that was an awful inning.  I know you are goofing around here, but let's face it, Contreras is a head case.  He keeps shaking off Pierzynski and that is total BS.

Hey, if they deserve it, they should be criticized.  There is nothing wrong with that.

I was being funny.

Contreras is Nuke from Bull Durham. He has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

This is why I am dead against this guy pitching in the playoffs. He has the arm and the stuff. He lacks one major thing, balls. Everyone looks at his BAA and they drool. But his WHIP is rising like crazy and he basically kicks himself in the nuts all the time. He now leads the league in wild pitches.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Once again, the Sox will need to find a way to grind this out.  Things tend to go against them out there in Oakland.

The one thing I like is Ozzie had no one warming up last inning.  It was as if to tell Contreras to man up.  This is a pennant race, get your mind right.

He's also let Contreras stay out there twice this year to take his beatings, which he deserved fully. I like that.

Double for Crosby. I can't stand Contreras. :finger

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
I was being funny. 

Contreras is Nuke from Bull Durham.  He has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

This is why I am dead against this guy pitching in the playoffs.  He has the arm and the stuff.  He lacks one major thing, balls.  Everyone looks at his BAA and they drool.  But his WHIP is rising like crazy and he basically kicks himself in the nuts all the time.  He now leads the league in wild pitches.

His WHIP is still lower than Mr. Schmidt over in SF. :P

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
Pods botches that for a double

s*** s*** s***

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
More proof podsednik cannot field worth s***.

Woah, woah, woah, that one he had no chance at getting to.

Guest JimH

That was a s***ty little bloop by Crosby, just another in a long line of Oakland hits like that out there.

Oh well, you have to overcome it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Did he maybe get a bad jump on it?  I dunno, I wasn't watching...

No, that one he didn't, it was a little bloop job right down the left field line, he really had 0 chance at it.