How I learned to keep worrying

Milkman delivers

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
It's pretty f***ing sad when I feel like I'm in the minority for ENJOYING a 53-24 team.

You probably feel like you're in the minority, but I don't think you are. It's just that the ones who don't seem to enjoy it are the loudest.

Guest JimH
Glad to see I wasnt left out.

You are not that bad, you have that "pulling the ball" thing going, but other than that you don't seem overly negative to me. :D

Fathom IMO would be better off in chat but at least you can talk with him, i.e. you can have a logical discussion with him.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
we need a seperate forum for jabroni/milkman/fathom.

there are others, but those are the big 3 that have completely ruined the gamethread.

southsideirish71 is another roach that needs to be exterminated. I could probably come up with a list of like 30 to 40 of them.

Usually I wouldn't say anything, but the admins need to start banning motherf***ers ASAP.

Any money that these guys got banned at WSI or whitesox.com or wherever they came from. While I could never hang at places like those because of my truck driver type speak, I'm just going to assume that the Sox threads at those sites are way less annoying.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
southsideirish71 is another roach that needs to be exterminated.  I could probably come up with a list of like 30 to 40 of them.

Usually I wouldn't say anything, but the admins need to start banning motherf***ers ASAP. 

Any money that these guys got banned at WSI or whitesox.com or wherever they came from.  While I could never hang at places like those because of my truck driver type speak, I'm just going to assume that the Sox threads at those sites are way less annoying.

This isn't WSI, I don't think I've ever seen a Dark Cloud get banned over here.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
southsideirish71 is another roach that needs to be exterminated.  I could probably come up with a list of like 30 to 40 of them.

Any money that these guys got banned at WSI or whitesox.com or wherever they came from.  While I could never hang at places like those because of my truck driver type speak, I'm just going to assume that the Sox threads at those sites are way less annoying.

Classy comment.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)

i KNOW there are many that are thinking along the same line as you right now.

People have gotten fed up.

Guest JimH

By the way I have zero problem with a healthy dose of skepticism, "oh no, oh s***" mentality/comments in the game thread. After all this franchise hasn't won the big one since 1917.

No one expects sunshine and flowers during the game thread or on the board for that matter, but a big issue is when people use this board or those particular threads as their personal roadside to throw up on. That gets a little old, but they dominate the game threads and the silent majority just says "screw it" and doesn't hang around. Which is too bad. But I guess that is the nature of boards like this, people will come and go.

Some might go faster than others. :)

I was talking to Spiff on AIM, and the thought came up....

Does it seem like we are seeing a ton more opposite field home runs than the last few years? Does it seem like the Sox are (gasp) making a concerted effort to go the opposite way?

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
i KNOW there are many that are thinking along the same line as you right now.

People have gotten fed up.

As I am..The Jabronism in game threads is sorta gettin kinda sickening..Everytime I want to join in on game threads I read posts from jabroni, milkman and such and want to pull my hair out...gets me angry and that tends to lead me to argue and then it goes down from there..So i don't even bother going into game threads anymore..

Spiff was right, there are a hell of alot more posters that seem to think in a rational manner then the bad ones, but the bad ones are able to levitate themselves into a more prominent manner in game threads and other threads..

Basically they annoy the hell out of you to get you to notice them...

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
By the way I have zero problem with a healthy dose of skepticism, "oh no, oh s***" mentality/comments in the game thread.  After all this franchise hasn't won the big one since 1917.

No one expects sunshine and flowers during the game thread or on the board for that matter, but a big issue is when people use this board or those particular threads as their personal roadside to throw up on.  That gets a little old, but they dominate the game threads and the silent majority just says "screw it" and doesn't hang around.  Which is too bad.  But I guess that is the nature of boards like this, people will come and go.

Some might go faster than others.   :)

EXACTLY. And, the admins and mods have started to make a conscious decision to clean s*** up. Fasten your seatbelt, boys and girls.

Edit: It doesn't mean we're going ban happy. But it does mean, like we talked about around a month ago, THINK BEFORE YOU POST... MERCY... it's not that hard.

Edited by kapkomet

WSI is a great standard to go by too. They f***ing ban people for talking about the Sox weak attendance now. :headshake

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
WSI is a great standard to go by too.  They f***ing ban people for talking about the Sox weak attendance now. :headshake

Is that why you're not allowed back there? :crying I don't blame them one bit for what they're doing, the constant "Why don't the Sox Draw" "People Sould Support the Best Team in Baseaball" threads get extremely old after a while. I wouldn't necessarily ban people but I'd have them taking a long vacation.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
I was talking to Spiff on AIM, and the thought came up....

Does it seem like we are seeing a ton more opposite field home runs than the last few years? Does it seem like the Sox are (gasp) making a concerted effort to go the opposite way?

Agreed..Look at Pods..the dude had 12 home runs last year and he's made a conscious effort to alleviate that..0 HRs cause he's trying to go the opposite field..You will rarely see him fly out far to right..AJ has hit a few HRs to the opposite field, which i don't think he was trying to hot HRs, but it it hard..

I think the only one you could make a case for swinging hard is Uribe, but that's the way he swings...There's absolutely a nay chance of the team swinging for the fences cause Ozzie would've put the kibosh on that s***.

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Agreed..Look at Pods..the dude had 12 home runs last year and he's made a conscious effort to alleviate that..0 HRs cause he's trying to go the opposite field..You will rarely see him fly out far to right..AJ has hit a few HRs to the opposite field, which i don't think he was trying to hot HRs, but it it hard..

I think the only one you could make a case for swinging hard is Uribe, but that's the way he swings...There's absolutely a nay chance of the team swinging for the fences cause Ozzie would've put the kibosh on that s***.

I think the bigger thing with Pods is that he's trying to keep the ball on the ground instead of hitting it in the air and flying out, which btw, is exactly what he should be doing.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Pretty calm cool and collected on both sides of the argument. I too get very tired of reading the constant griping but I think its keeps things interesting. I honestly don't think this place would be worth coming too if we just patted each other on our collective backs for great posts.

Some of the biggest whiners have been singled out but I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that they would weep tears of joy , as would I, if the Sox went and won the whole damn enchilada.

I think the mods have shown the correct amount of restraint. Sure it's frustrating reading crap but it has A+ entertainment value as long as the older wiser members speak up.

One last note. Just because you've been around a long time does not mean you are incapable of being obnoxious. Some older members take advantage of the fact they can be as surly or b****y as they wanna be. Then we chalk it up to "thats just the way they are" or he/she has earned the right to be that way.

Please keep banning to a minimum. Only one of 30 teams can win it all every year and until they win it, there will be worries and its the American way to discuss what troubles us without chopping off their heads.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Pretty calm cool and collected on both sides of the argument. I too get very tired of reading the constant griping but I think its keeps things interesting. I honestly don't think this place would be worth coming too if we just patted each other on our collective backs for  great posts.

Some of the biggest whiners have been singled out  but I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that they would weep  tears of joy , as would I, if the Sox went and won the whole damn enchilada.

I think the mods have shown the correct amount of restraint. Sure it's frustrating reading crap but it has A+ entertainment value as long as the older wiser members speak up.

One last note. Just because you've been around a long time does not mean you are incapable of being obnoxious. Some older members take advantage of the fact they can be as surly or b****y as they wanna be. Then we chalk it up to "thats just the way they are" or he/she has earned the right to be that way.

Please keep banning to a minimum. Only one of 30 teams can win it all every year and until they win it, there will be worries and its the American way to discuss what troubles us.

Excellent post. :notworthy

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Pretty calm cool and collected on both sides of the argument. I too get very tired of reading the constant griping but I think its keeps things interesting. I honestly don't think this place would be worth coming too if we just patted each other on our collective backs for  great posts.

Some of the biggest whiners have been singled out  but I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that they would weep  tears of joy , as would I, if the Sox went and won the whole damn enchilada.

Please keep banning to a minimum. Only one of 30 teams can win it all every year and until they win it, there will be worries and its the American way to discuss what troubles us without chopping off their heads.

Good call, Cali. Thanks.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)

It loses all entertainment value when you read the same negative talk over and over agan, it just gets annoying.

I just want to throw in my .2 cents on the doubles thing...

Hitting doubles has absolutely nothing to do with speed. Most doubles are from hard hit balls in the gaps or down the line, meaning it's more of a power thing. That's why Frank Thomas typically was one of the leaders, and why Albert Belle hit 50 doubles in a season. Most of the leaders are either elite sluggers (like Derek Lee, Alfonso Soriano, and Miguel Tejada this year) or guys with gap power that don't hit a lot of homers (Brad Wilkerson, Marcus Giles, Craig Biggio). Of the top 10 doubles hitters (there is a tie for 10, making it 11), only three of them have fewer than 10 homers, and two of them are Brad Wilkerson and Brian Giles, who have flashed a lot of power in the past (Petco also robs Giles of some homers). Only two have double digit steals, one of them being Derek Lee, and only 4 have more than 5. Of the top 10 basestealers (I'm using this as a measure of speed), only one has more than 15 doubles, and that's slugger Bobby Abreu. In other words, with our emphasis on small ball, the trade of Lee, losing Maggs and Valentin, and Frank being hurt, one would expect our team to hit fewer doubles. That basically has no bearing on a team's offense, and is more typical of teams swinging for the fences.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)

as it's been said before, so many posters have been turned off from gamethreads and the such because a select few dominate it with absolutely obnoxioius opinions. Gamethreads used to be my favorite part of this site, oh well.

By the way, thanks for putting alot of thought into your post, we need more of that.

I agree with a lot that has been said in this thread. I'm glad it is being addressed in this matter. I for one, have basically stopped reading game threads for many reasons that have already been mentioned. I think the threads are controlled by several people and it's hard to just get an update if you missed something(without fighting through pages of the same argument).

I have no problem with people voicing negative thoughts. I don't like it when they are stated as fact and not left open for disagreement.

I haven't been around that long, and I lurk more than I post, but I have noticed a big culture change on this board in the last couple of months. I see many people who have been around that rarely post. I respected many of those peoples thoughts, but I think they are just a bit fed up of the same recycled topics and arguments.

I don't think banning anyone is the solution, but some people need to just tone it down. Beating a dead horse is rarely interesting or thought provoking. The constant arguments are getting old.