TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villone is a good pitcher. Find it hard to believe he's on the block. He's inexpensive and effective. I would assume that is the type of player Seattle would like to keep at this point.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
That's all fine and dandy until we lose in the ALCS.  Then Kenny will look like a bafoon for trading our top prospects for 3 month rentals.  I'm all for trading for Burnett,  but only if we can resign him.

Or they can lose in the ALCS and watch the prospects they didn't want to trade turn out like Ruffcorn, Bolton, Borchard, Abbott, Ruffin, Rauch, Malone, the list goes on and on. It appears like they are going to go for it. They are trying to win the ALCS, and the WS. White Sox fans should be commending management for that, not worrying about losing some 21 year old kid who will be selling cars in 3 years anyway. I remember when people were up in arms about losing Hummel. That was 2 years ago. What's he done since. Where's he at now?

Does anybody wonder why Florida would want to give Burnett up at this point in the season? They are 7 games behind the Nats, who I do not think will keep up their first half pace, and only 3 games out of the wild card.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

Guest JimH
Does anybody wonder why Florida would want to give Burnett up at this point in the season?  They are 7 games behind the Nats, who I do not think will keep up their first half pace, and only 3 games out of the wild card.

It's primarily due to the Marlins thinking Burnett will not be there long term.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Or they can lose in the ALCS and watch the prospects they didn't want to trade turn out like Ruffcorn, Bolton, Borchard, Abbott, Ruffin, Rauch, Malone, the list goes on and on. It appears like they are going to go for it. They are trying to win the ALCS, and the WS.  White Sox fans should be commending management for that, not worrying about losing some 21 year old kid who will be selling cars in 3 years anyway. I remember when people were up in arms about losing Hummel. That was 2 years ago. What's he done since. Where's he at now?

It can go either way. That's all I was saying. Don't think that if we lose in the post-season that fans/media/ect will just brush aside the fact we traded our entire farm for guys we ended up losing anyway. And I don't remember anybody crying over losing Tim Hummel. If so, that's sad.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Prolly the fact he's very good.

oh come on...hes having a good year, but the guy is like 90 ( ok 35) and hasnt had a year where his ERA was under 4 since 1997....thats 8 years ago! sure, hes a solid lefty outa the pen, but come on "very good"? i dunno about that

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Heres something to chew on.  Aj Burnett = Jose Contreras

What makes you say that?

So far this season Contreras is 5-5 with a 4.26 E.R.A., a 1.32 WHIP, and a .228 BAA (which is damn good) However Contreras has a K/BB ratio of 72/48, and has given up 16 homeruns.

Burnett on the other hand is 5-5 with a 3.33 E.R.A., with a 1.22 WHIP and a BAA of .236. Yet he has a MUCH better K/BB ratio than Contreras of 111/40 and has only given up 6 homeruns.

You can say that they are similar, but I have to say that Burnett is an upgrade to Contreras, and would bolster our rotation. Even though Burnett is still wild at times, he can be down right filthy, and it gives us more options with what we can do with our pen. (Duque or Contreras to the pen) I can only hope that Kenny makes a move to land this guy, not only that Burnett is only 28 years old. We could sign him to a multi-year deal.

If Kenny can package Marte, BMac and a couple of minor league prospects to get this guy than I am all for it.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
oh come on...hes having a good year, but the guy is like 90 ( ok 35) and hasnt had a year where his ERA was under 4 since 1997....thats 8 years ago! sure, hes a solid lefty outa the pen, but come on "very good"? i dunno about that

Last year as a reliever his era was also under 3. He's a left handed reliever and he is a very good pitcher coming out of the bullpen.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:20 AM)

He's 2-3 with a 2.67 ERA this season. Pitches better against lefties than righties which is what we need, unlike some guy named Kevin Walker.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
He's 2-3 with a 2.67 ERA this season. Pitches better against lefties than righties which is what we need, unlike some guy named Kevin Walker.

you dont have to be a "very good" pitcher to be better than kevin walker...but yeah i mean if you are looking for someone to replace walker or marte , sure villone will work. but if we are talkin pennant here, i better keep seein wagner guardado etc

I can see this happening.

First of all Ozzie hasnt seen the Marte of 2003. He has been eratic at best. He has had some good times, with some bad times. His numbers look good, but how many times did he dance on the line of disaster going out there. Plus his splits against lefties arent that good.

And the major reason for Marte to be on the block. He pulled 2 times this year, where he didnt tell Ozzie of an injury. That is a huge huge NO NO on this team. They are trying to go for it and having people sit on the DL or have bad games because they make a small injury worse is not going to cut it.

They add AJ Burnett and add Everyday Eddy. HOLY CRAP!!! is all I can say with this staff.

We will have G-LOAD coming back soon. Thomas coming back a month ago. If Jenks can throw that filthy gas in the strikezone its like we already have made a few trades and all we have done is either had some people get healthy and a guy come up from the minors.

I say send Vizcaino or Shingo and Marte over. They would fall over for that deal and it wouldnt cost us as many prospects. Jenks can prove his merit and El Duque goes to the pen.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:26 AM)
you dont have to be a "very good" pitcher to be better than kevin walker...but yeah i mean if you are looking for someone to replace walker or marte , sure villone will work. but if we are talkin pennant here, i better keep seein wagner guardado etc

Cotts, Hermanson and Politte have the 8th and 9th innings nailed down. Villone will be perfect as a lefty LOOGY and a guy to use in the 6th and 7th innings.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
The Southtown has no love for Uribe & I'm not sure if I have that much either.  Though I would give Juan til the deadline to prove to us why we shouldn't make this trade. It doesn't say anything about Uribe being part of the deal but I didn't real were SF has any other option at SS that would be better than Juan.  Money wise they are saving several million.

Assists, DP, F%, ZR all factor in comparing middle IFers.

Uribe 192A 39DP .974F% .840ZR

Omar 213A 40DP .991F%  .871ZR

If Uribe was a better D player I could see the love.  But he's not.

Omar is getting to more balls, making less errors, & executing as many DP's.  Uribe has a gun but I think Omar does as well.

Offensively Omar would become the best hitter for average on the White Sox.

Omar  43R, 90H, 20DB, 3TP, 1HR, 30RBI, 26FP, 14SB, .303A, .357O, .401S, 3.86#P/PA, 1.23GB/FB

Uribe  25R, 57H, 12DB, 1TP, 6HR, 37RBI, 13FP, 2SB, .249A, .280O, .389S, 3.39#P/PA, 0.86GB/FB

Of all the talk being batted about our Chicago White Sox this one makes the most sense.   

Pods, Omar, Iguchi, Thomas, Koney, Dye, Rowand, AJ, Crede

Tad's comment recently implied he thinks he's a #3 hitter.  Most of his life he hit #3/#4 in Japan.  He referred to #2 as a bunter's role in Japan & here it's  RF hitter. 

Tad's numbers suggest he may be right:

40R, 76H, 14D, 3T, 5HR, 33RBI, 25FP, 60K, 9SB,  .280A, .337O, .410S

RON .314A  .346O  .488S  .834OPS

The only serious fault there is the 60K.  But being slotted between Vizquel & Thomas should improve that.  The same can be said of his 22 extra base hits.  He should see more fastballs with Pods &/or Omar on base.  Omar at #2 will improve the pitch selection to Pods as well.

If you are concerned over the roughly $9M/2yr left on his contract the White Sox do have insurance at both the major & minor leagues.

Ozuna has proven to be a strong armed backup & Angel Gonzalez on the Barons.  Gonzalez has been on the fast track & continues to hit at every level. His 21E though are suspect.

In the earlier omnibus trade post I made an impassioned pitch for a deal the core of which was Contreras-Uribe for Schmidt-Vizquel. To that I was willing to add from our side 1) Brian Anderson, 2) one of Gload/Munoz/Diaz/Borchard, and 3) one of Takatsu/Vizcaino/Bajenaru.

Now I think that it would be a bit too much given the continued questions about Schmidt's velocity, but it is still roughly the right kind of deal that could benefit both teams and not cost the Sox any impact players for this year or next.

We get the 4th playoff starter we crave, and a lefty bat who is perfectly suited to hit at the bottom of the lineup and play Ozzie-ball. (Vizquel also makes the perfect pairing with Ozuna, who would get another 25 starts a year against lefties.)

The Giants get major-league ready replacements to compete when BB returns. Plus they save a few million.