TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Everybody is looking at everybody, it's the nature of major league baseball two weeks before the trading deadline.

I agree with you, I think the Giants thing still has legs, and I also believe KW has Plan B (and maybe even C, D, and E) in place.

Yes and alot will depend on how things go this Sunday in Charlotte and the 18th vs Detroit.

I would also guess that KW's got the M's GM on speed dial and is calling frequently.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Southtown continues to speculate on stuff that may happen. I think KW will do something but another outfielder is not what we need. Pitching will win the world series, its that simple. Everyday the Southtown has more speculation.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
the Southtown continues to speculate on stuff that may happen. I think KW will do something but another outfielder is not what we need. Pitching will win the world series, its that simple. Everyday the Southtown has more speculation.

No, we don't necessarily need another outfielder, but we could certainly use a lefty RBI guy. I don't know where we'd fit him in, but this lineup needs one.

Guest JimH

Do you subscribe or did you finally break down and check it on the internet?

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Yes and alot will depend on how things go this Sunday in Charlotte and the 18th vs Detroit.

I would also guess that KW's got the M's GM on speed dial and is calling frequently.

Well I already do not like the attitude that Eddie's agent has. He said he has to close plus his arm will need surgery. You don't think attitudes like that wreck clubhouses? I would rather have Ron villone.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
Well I already do not like the attitude that Eddie's agent has. He said he has to close plus his arm will need surgery. You don't think attitudes like that wreck clubhouses? I would rather have Ron villone.

That thought also crossed my mind. If EG is more concerned with meeting incentives then winning a championship, then screw him. The fact that he has included the reigning World Champs on his no trade list for that very reason, speaks volumes.

Guest JimH

Guardado has a limited no trade set up to protect his incentive clauses. Money money money. Which is fine, if I were him and his agent I'd do the same thing. Does it fit here? Not sure.

I still think they push for a starter. If the perfect reliever falls in their lap, great. But I think they view another starter as being more useful, and slide El Duque on and off the DL if necessary.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)

Where did he say that? Link?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
Guardado has a limited no trade set up to protect his incentive clauses.  Money money money.  Which is fine, if I were him and his agent I'd do the same thing.  Does it fit here?  Not sure.

I still think they push for a starter.  If the perfect reliever falls in their lap, great.  But I think they view another starter as being more useful, and slide El Duque on and off the DL if necessary.

Jim I am not begrugging him for setting himself up to get money. The whitesox constantly talk about chemistry. We apparently have it. Therefore a guy who is more focused on himself (as many are) may not be the right person at this particular time. I like the idea of having him, but I don't think I like his agents attitude right now. Wagner talks about winning, not his contract. I want players who believe the Sox can and will win.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
By the way the Diamondbacks are continuing to slide back in the standings.

Cotts pitched two night in a row. AZ scouting, good trade bait for a starter. Not trying to start anything so please everyone calm down. He's young, pitching well, and the Sox are looking for a starter and AZ looking for bullpen help.

Is the agent going to pitch for us or Eddie? Personally I put little stock in anything an agent says. As far as chemistry, he was much revered in the Twins clubhouse and is the same in the M's clubhouse and KW has plenty of knowledge of what kind of player he is along with AJP. IMO chemistry is a non-issue here.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Is the agent going to pitch for us or Eddie? Personally I put little stock in anything an agent says. As far as chemistry, he was much revered in the Twins clubhouse and is the same in the M's clubhouse and KW has plenty of knowledge of what kind of player he is along with AJP. IMO chemistry is a non-issue here.

Terrific, I am sold.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
Cotts pitched two night in a row. AZ scouting, good trade bait for a starter. Not trying to start anything so please everyone calm down. He's young, pitching well, and the Sox are looking for a starter and AZ looking for bullpen help.

Trading Neal is a terrible idea. He's not going anywhere.

Guardado was part of some great "chemistry" teams when he was with Minnesota. I really would be surprised if he became a cancer. Make him the closer and have Hermanson , Politte , Marte and Cotts handle the 7th and 8th. When Buerhle, Garland and Garcia start you would have to love the White Sox chances. You would have to love the Sox chances at least half of Contreras' and El Duque's starts. If another starter were also acquired..........Was it mentioned what it would take to acquire Guardado?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
Guardado was part of some great "chemistry" teams when he was with Minnesota. I really would be surprised if he became a cancer. Make him the closer and have Hermanson , Politte , Marte and Cotts handle the 7th and 8th. When Buerhle, Garland and Garcia start you would have to love the White Sox chances. You would have to love the Sox chances at least half of Contreras' and El Duque's  starts. If another starter were also acquired..........Was it mentioned what it would take to acquire Guardado?

Hermy is the closer and that's his job until he loses it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Guardado was part of some great "chemistry" teams when he was with Minnesota. I really would be surprised if he became a cancer. Make him the closer and have Hermanson , Politte , Marte and Cotts handle the 7th and 8th. When Buerhle, Garland and Garcia start you would have to love the White Sox chances. You would have to love the Sox chances at least half of Contreras' and El Duque's  starts. If another starter were also acquired..........Was it mentioned what it would take to acquire Guardado?

Nope Gammons just said the Sox are looking at him.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I never said it was a good or bad idea.

I know, I wasn't directing that comment at you, just putting across my opinion. I'll guarantee you though that he's not traded, how 'bout that. :P

Could the Sox be looking at another starter from the Mariners along with Everyday Eddie? Like a Joel Piniero or Gil Meche. Both have experience as a starter and a reliever. They aren't pitching all that well this year, but who is in Seattle. With a little bit of Don Cooper and a bit of Ozzie, you never know.

Are the Mariners looking to become the White Sox Northwest farmteam? The past 4 years when the Mariners were on top of their division, all Gammons talked about was how great thier farm system was and how they were set for a long period of time. Now they need to raid our farm system? lol

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)

dont forget we will expand our rosters to include Brian Anderson as well, I think he could be a good guy off the bench.

Various Rumors i gleaned from benmaller.com, could be possibilities, pipedreams, or not worth considering. These are the names out there right now though, take them as you will

The Baltimore Orioles' best comedian has run out of jokes and can hardly manage a smile these days. Reliever Steve Kline, generally considered one of the best pranksters in baseball, sits slumped in his locker and hopes his dreadful year can turn positive as quickly as it has turned sour. "I just get miserable," said Kline, 32, who was signed as a free agent during the offseason after four seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals. "I'm just a grumpy old man. I don't want to socialize. I'll come and say something stupid to some people and have some fun, but they can still tell I'm not doing well. I'm a fun type of guy and I've lost that."

Reliever John Franco, who was designated for assignment by the Astros on Saturday, has already been put through unconditional waivers, so his days in Houston are over. The Astros had 10 days from last Saturday to trade, release or put Franco through waivers. With not much of a trade market for the struggling lefthander, the team cut ties with him.

The Devil Rays had officials in Tucson evaluating three Diamondbacks prospects: outfielders Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin, and shortstop Sergio Santos. This week, Bob Gebhard, the Diamondbacks' special assistant to the general manager, was in Chicago at the Devil Rays-White Sox series. The Diamondbacks could be taking a look at Devil Rays closer Danys Baez, who is believed to be available via trade.

The Marlins continue to search for relief help, and Kansas City left-hander Jeremy Affeldt is a possibility. Affeldt, 26, has been on the disabled list since June 19 with a groin injury. He was the Royals' closer for part of last season and early this season. Affeldt, scheduled to return Friday, has no decisions and a 2.79 ERA in 9 2/3 innings. He had 13 saves and a 4.50 ERA in 30 relief appearances last season. He is making $950,000 this season.

Are the Red Sox still trying to acquire a prominent reliever? If Seattle lefthander Eddie Guardado is a possibility, he has a limited no-trade clause and would have to sign off on any deal. Boston has also looked at Atlanta's Danny Kolb (1-5, 5.63 ERA)

RHP Joe Borowski of the Cubs, LHP Mike Stanton of the Yankees and RHP Rick Bauer of the Orioles - all of whom were designated for assignment within the past eight days and could become available as free agents if they clear waivers and aren't traded within 10 days of being designated.

When Tom Glavine takes the mound tonight against the Nationals, he does so with the knowledge that his days with the Mets could be numbered. ... Glavine could be among those shipped elsewhere by the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. There's a twist with Glavine. His three-year, $34-million contract includes a full no-trade clause

Lefty Kaz Ishii , whom the Mets are showcasing as trade bait, will start Saturday.

Mark Redman has a sweetheart of a contract, which allows him to exercise an option that will guarantee him $4.5 million in 2006. The Pirates have a club option of $4.95 million. But Redman must agree to it or he can declare himself a free agent. In all likelihood, the Pirates will trade him rather than giving him the multiyear deal he wants. Trading Redman this month won't likely bring much in return.