TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
how so? Walks, inconsistency, about to be a high dollar player.  And Aj will command more money that JC in his new deal, especially going into FA'cy

Rock,

From what I read on here, you usually know your s***, but AJ had a 87% quality start ratio going into July (Quality starts in 14 out of 16 starts). He's damn good, an no, I'm not delusional enough to buy into ANY AND ALL trade talk discussed on here, but I'd like him on my team.

2 main factors here.

1) Do they want to pick up part of the contract?

2) Are they willing to take basically no-name prospects?

If the answers to both of these questions are not yes, then no way.

Burnett has been alright in the national league. League average era since he came into the league is 4.16 and he posted a 3.83 era in that time span. In otherwords an era+ of only 109. If a slightly above average pitcher like burnett is gonna command 10-12 million dollars a year i do not want him.

This year he has pitched very good but it's no shock to me that it's in his contract year. How many of you feel comfortable with handing out 10-12 million a year for a guy that is on the dl once if not two or three times every year?

I don't know why people are getting all over rocks omparison. Both contreras and burnett hold hitters to a low baa but issue ALOT of walks. Burnett was the guy who walked nine guys in a complete game no hitter if you do not remember.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Rock,

From what I read on here, you usually know your s***, but AJ had a 87% quality start ratio going into July (Quality starts in 14 out of 16 starts).  He's damn good, an no, I'm not delusional enough to buy into ANY AND ALL trade talk discussed on here, but I'd like him on my team.

Im just saying, is he really that drastic of an improvement. Factor in that he is in the NL and is in a pitchers park. Not to mention he has had the luxury of having great defense behind him. He is going to be more expensive than any arm on our team, is he really worth that price? I dont think so, plus I dont think he have the players that FLA wants. I see him going to Baltimore.

I forgot to mention this:

One of the reason that we all love MB and Garland this year, is that they throw balls in the strike zone and dont walk alot of people. They are efficient and play towards the weakness of playing in Coors east. With a player who walks alot of people, especially in our park, we risk giving up alot of 2-3 run bombs. Not to mention that walking a ton of people put you in the JC category of frustrating the team by not letting them pick up the pitchers. Im not saying he is not lights out, but I see him as being just a bit better than JC if he came to the AL, in our park, and more expensive.

I for one am very leery about trading for Burnett. However, my reasons have nothing to do with his performance...performance wise the kid is a stud. But there have been a few things I've heard/observed about him that strike me the wrong way.

1) For a guy with a history of arm trouble...he sure as hell throws a lot of pitches. Last night being the prime example. I know strikeouts are sexy and all but he basically is giving a big F YOU to Florida's policy of pitch for contact (early in the count).

2) I know I shouldn't always believe what I hear when it comes to being a "cancer" (prime example: AJ Pierzynski) but there has been plenty of talk about burnett and his attitude. I don;'t know how much sock to put in it, but when there's smoke there's usually fire.

3) Why the HELL would Florida want to deal him. Beckett's on the DL, they're in the hunt, so why in the world are they so hell bent on shipping this guy off? From what I've heard, he wants to hit the market this off-season, no matter what. What I really fear is this guy wants to be a Yankee, and by golly they could sure use him. Either way, for how good this guy is there has to be something seriously up if Florida wants to deal him this badly. It just doesn't add up.

I don't know what it is, call it a sixth sense, call it ESP, call it stupidity but I just don't feel right about Burnett (and this isn't about Schmidt, because I feel the same way about him). Things just don't seem to be adding up, but with the season we're having I'd have to say any risk to put us over the top may be the correct risk to take....even if they don't feel right.

It's funny, people on these boards think that the big names are what's going to help us. And maybe they will. Maybe a Schmidt or Burnett will help. But, we have to think of who will help this team. Do we need another starter? Yes, as insurance, but I don't think we necessarily need a #1 or #2. Do we need a LH reliever? Yes, but not necessarily the name everyone is talking about. Villone would be a good pickup as would Scott Eyre, which someone mentioned in another thread. We need a lefty to get lefties out. Not a reputation...unless that reputation can get lefties out.

Podsednik isn't a big name, but he filled a need. So did Iguchi, Dye, AJ, Everett and Politte. None of them are big names. So, instead of making the huge splash TWICE, maybe a huge splash and a small splash is enough.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
124 in 6 innings?  Yikes.  Well,  that's the thing with strike out pitchers,  I guess.  They throw a lot of pitches.

If you look at Burnett's game logs for this year, he is basically a 6 inning pitcher (by then he's usually above 100 pitches), and in all but one game he gave up at least 2 runs.

I would love to have him in our postseason rotation, but I would go back to what I said a week ago in the omnibus trade thread. To lock up another starter for next year, the Sox have to unload Jose Contreras and his $8 million contract or it will screw up our salary structure. If Florida might take him because he's signed for next year while Burnett is not, then we ought to be able to make the deal with fewer prospects, and can press Burnett's agent about whether he'll sign for 3 more years. If Florida won't take Contreras, then I remain on the fence about this deal because I don't know what the real price would be, and I remain skeptical that Burnett will re-sign with us.

Guest JimH
White Sox | Griffey in Sight?

Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:31:05 -0700

The Daily Southtown's Paul Ladewski reports the Chicago White Sox could make a push for Cincinnati Reds OF Ken Griffey Jr.

http://www.kffl.com/team/47/MLB

This is exactly the problem with believing a lot (most) of what the media says. I read the Ladewski column this morning, it was total speculation on Paul Ladewski's part re: Ken Griffey Jr.

Sure enough though, some other media outlet picks it up and it's painted as if the White Sox are interested in Griffey. Then of course what happens is this board goes all overboard about it.

We should re-read Ladewski's column. There are no quotes, no sources named or even alluded to. It is entirely his speculation. The same is true with any conversation re: Glendon Rusch. Dan McNeil was speculating yesterday that Rusch would look good in a Sox uni and brought it up to Levine. Right after that, there was speculation the White Sox were interested in Rusch.

I know we are desperate for trade info and rumors here, but let's try to separate some columnist speculating vs. some of the more specific info that's out there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
we cant afford to re-sign AJ, thats it, bottom line.  He will get a deal worth more than Contreras.

Payroll will increase by 10 to 15 million next season though, maybe even more, depending on attendance and how far the Sox go in the playoffs. With Konerko, Thomas and Everett's contract's coming off the books, that's over $20 million in payroll right there.