TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
I think some of you really need to read this....

IT'S NOT 2003. Schmidt is one of the worst pitchers in the NL in a pitchers park this year. HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU EXPECT HIM TO COME TO THE CELL AND DO BETTER. I realize his name is all shiny and stuff BUT HE'S NO LONGER AN ACE. EVEN IF WE GOT HIM (WHICH WOULD BE IN NO WAY WORTH ANYTHING OF QUALITY) HE WOULDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAY OFF ROSTER BECAUSE HE'S JUST NOT THAT GOOD!

Ok...Rant over.... :ph34r:

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Mr consistent has a .724 ops as a whole and has hit .250 verse rightie with a .675 ops.

His defense may be consistent but his offense? It sucks. I know, i know... he is clutch.

Just curious, can you compare that to other centerfielders in the al?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
Just curious, can you compare that to other centerfielders in the al?

Rowand is 9th in OPS for all AL CF's. Only Finley, Reed and Logan have a lower OPS. Hunter and Damon are tied for 1st with a .845 OPS, Grady Sizemore already has a .805 OPS. Oh, Rowand has a 60/16 K/BB ratio BTW.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Rowand is 9th in OPS for all AL CF's. Only Finley, Reed and Logan have a lower OPS. Hunter and Damon are tied for 1st with a .845 OPS, Grady Sizemore already has a .805 OPS. Oh, Rowand has a 60/16 K/BB ratio BTW.

Gracias. I honestly didn't know where he compared to all the other centerfielders. I believe last year he led all al cf's in ops, no?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
I think some of you really need to read this....

IT'S NOT 2003. Schmidt is one of the worst pitchers in the NL in a pitchers park this year. HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU EXPECT HIM TO COME TO THE CELL AND DO BETTER. I realize his name is all shiny and stuff BUT HE'S NO LONGER AN ACE. EVEN IF WE GOT HIM (WHICH WOULD BE IN NO WAY WORTH ANYTHING OF QUALITY) HE WOULDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAY OFF ROSTER BECAUSE HE'S JUST NOT THAT GOOD!

Ok...Rant over.... :ph34r:

Hey, in case you missed it, Schmidt had a pretty good year last year too. 18-7, 225 innings, 165 hits, 3.2 ERA. Then he started the year with a 2-1 record and 3.41 ERA in April. In May he went on the DL after his second start and hasn't fully returned to form since that stint, though he did post back-to-back 8 inning outings where he surrended no runs.

Give me that over "Jose the head case" or "bad shoulder El Duque" every time.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Hey, in case you missed it, Schmidt had a pretty good year last year too.  18-7, 225 innings, 165 hits, 3.2 ERA.  Then he started the year with a 2-1 record and 3.41 ERA in April.  In May he went on the DL after his second start and hasn't fully returned to form since that stint, though he did post back-to-back 8 inning outings where he surrended no runs. 

Give me that over "Jose the head case" or "bad shoulder El Duque" every time.

Look at his road record and career numbers outside of the Giants...

The fact he's really only had any kind of success with one team should be a huge red flag. Like I said before I wouldn't hesitate to get him if all it took was low level prospects or a couple of busts. But seeing people who want to give up the farm for him really starts to piss me off... :chair

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
I think some of you also need to realize whether we like it or not this is a cash strapped team. Why on earth would we need Griffey or Wells for big money when Rowand will do a decent job the next few years for a very reasonable price.

Wells is making just over $3,000,000 this season, hardly big money like Mr. Griffey.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
I know, i know... he is clutch.

Kind of.

His batting average with the bags loaded is no good. And 9 out of 18 scoring a man on 3rd with

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Kind of. 

His batting average with the bags loaded is no good.  And 9 out of 18 scoring a man on 3rd with <2 outs is not great either.

He was being sarcastic... but thats beside the point... he's a late starter/second half performer anyway...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
Well if i'm not mistaken he'll be a free agent sooner though right?

No, his contract runs thorugh to 2007, the same length as Aaron's;

Vernon Wells: 5-Year worth 14.7M- will make in 2003- 450K + 850K signing bonus, in 2004- 700K, in 2005- 2.9M, in 2006- 4.3M and in 2007- 5.6M

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
Ohh wow... I stand corrected...

Well I still don't see the point in giving up the extra talent for him...

If you could get Wells for Rowand and Tracey would you do it? Wells is faster and hits for more power.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
He was being sarcastic... but thats beside the point... he's a late starter/second half performer anyway...

He may have been half sarcastic because I think he actually leads the team in BA w/ RISP.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
If you could get Wells for Rowand and Tracey would you do it? Wells is faster and hits for more power.

He's not that much better then Rowand... I say showing loyalty to him does more for team image in the long run...

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)

as much as i would want to have him i just couldnt part with rowand or any of our outfieldersm because i think we have one of the best outfield groups in the game IMO

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
He's not that much better then Rowand... I say showing loyalty to him does more for team image in the long run...

Rowand is more of a hard-nosed player, Wells seems a to be more of a slacker (at least that's what they make him out to be after BBTN grilled him for not getting the ball in quick enough on a single by Tejada, he sort of non-chalantly picked up the ball as Tejada went for 2nd).

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Mr consistent has a .724 ops as a whole and has hit .250 verse rightie with a .675 ops.

His defense may be consistent but his offense? It sucks. I know, i know... he is clutch.

Wow.....qwerty. I LUUUUUUUUUUUUV that avatar! I'm in the same boat as you. That get's my vote for Avy of the Year!

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Rowand is more of a hard-nosed player, Wells seems a to be more of a slacker (at least that's what they make him out to be after BBTN grilled him for not getting the ball in quick enough on a single by Tejada, he sort of non-chalantly picked up the ball as Tejada went for 2nd).

Thats the other thing about Rowand that people don't take into consideration... I don't think people realize or think about how much his work ethic and hard nosed attitude plays into the success of the team.