TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
How about we trade a prospect for Corey Patterson and released Timo

let me think...trading for a slacker headcase who thinks he's a power hitter... no thanks... Timo won't even be here soon (I hope! :pray)

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
How about we trade a prospect for Corey Patterson and released Timo

Hmmm...Timo or Corey Patterson...you know...I think it's a tossup.

Seriously though...You couldn't make me give the Cubs anything for Corey Patterson. Not a damn thing. I'd have to be a Cub fan before I thought it was a good idea to trade Mr. "AAA" to the Sox for something.

You know...I might trade him for Timo...straight up...but that's just about it.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
I think Patterson needs a change of scenery. Baker has play head games with him the last few years...

I wouldnt mind Patterson coming off the bench anything to get Timo off the team

Uhhh no... We need Timo off this team and to get someone who can play first base. Corey Patterson blows the big one.... :bang

Now Aubrey Huff on the other hand... :wub:

LOL!

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
I think Patterson needs a change of scenery. Baker has play head games with him the last few years...

I wouldnt mind Patterson coming off the bench anything to get Timo off the team

Ross Gload should get that roster spot, and I think the entire Sox community realizes it.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
He's not that much better then Rowand... I say showing loyalty to him does more for team image in the long run...

We're talking if Rowand is going to return to last season's form, that may not happen. Wells has a proven track record, and has 30-30 potential, which you can't say for many CF's at all, and his speed would fit in nicely with Ozzie's use of running. Is team image that important, when you have an oppurtunity to improve your team? Why trade for a Burnett, or Vizquel then to replace an El Duque or Uribe?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
Hey, in case you missed it, Schmidt had a pretty good year last year too.  18-7, 225 innings, 165 hits, 3.2 ERA.  Then he started the year with a 2-1 record and 3.41 ERA in April.  In May he went on the DL after his second start and hasn't fully returned to form since that stint, though he did post back-to-back 8 inning outings where he surrended no runs. 

Give me that over "Jose the head case" or "bad shoulder El Duque" every time.

Actually, Schmidt started his decline last year, before the injury was a big issue. He had a 2.51 ERA in the first half last year, 4.02 after. He had a mediocre July (3.50), came back with a pretty good August (2.86), and then got rocked in September (over 5). Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but when you add what he did after the break to what he has done thus far this year, I think it is a cause for concern.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
We're talking if Rowand is going to return to last season's form, that may not happen. Wells has a proven track record, and has 30-30 potential, which you can't say for many CF's at all, and his speed would fit in nicely with Ozzie's use of running. Is team image that important, when you have an oppurtunity to improve your team? Why trade for a Burnett, or Vizquel then to replace an El Duque or Uribe?

I'll take a guy like Rowand, who you know is going to bust his ass all the time, over a guy like Wells who has "potential" but doesn't quite put his heart and soul into the came.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
If this move goes down I'd do it, assuming Kenny is confident he could pull a Wagner or Guardado from his sleeve.

I could really see the sox getting guardado because Peter Gammons said that the sox are making an aggressive push. also, was rosenthal suggesting that the sox will pursue Burnett and Schmidt?

Getting Eddie G. would be a beautiful thing. I don't know about Burnett though. He has never really put it all together for a long period of time. He gets hurt a lot too. I guess it just depends what we have to give up. I don't wanna lose Marte. I don't wanna be trading any major league pitching away. With Eddie Guardado our bullpen becomes sick.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Getting Eddie G. would be a beautiful thing. I don't know about Burnett though. He has never really put it all together for a long period of time. He gets hurt a lot too. I guess it just depends what we have to give up. I don't wanna lose Marte. I don't wanna be trading any major league pitching away. With Eddie Guardado our bullpen becomes sick.

i think the reason Guardado keeps coming up is so they can possibly trade Marte for Burnett and get Guardado, another lefty.

Thinking about having to pay Burnett near $10M per year makes we want to just walk away from this deal. Compare Burnett's career to Buehrle's and then go to Mark and say, "Hey, we are going to pay Burnett $10M. What do you think about it?"

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
This may have been posted already, but according to Rosenthal KW is going after Burnett, and we may be a frontrunner ahead even of Baltimore. 

link

There's an 11 page thread about it. But, this is where it should be, so all is good.

One has to wonder, with the sox being mentioned with looking at guys like Vizquel [which would leave Uribe out of a job] and Burnett [FLA wants proven guys who can help this year], the Dominican pals Uribe, Timo and Marte could all be gone soon.

I can't see Timo staying put, while he hasn't played in a game for a long time, and justify keeping Gload in AAA. Yet that might affect Uribe

With the sox being in on these various deals, some current players and top prospects are bound to be part of some package. The sox couldn't get these types of players just w/ minor leaguers. So some guys on the 25 man will probably be part of any deal

Barry Zito might still be an option for the Sox. From Bob Nightengale and this week's "Sports Weekly" the Buzz. I only think the A's might deal if they go on a losing streak that puts them back under .500 after the break----------------

"The A's, despite reports to the contrary, will listen to offers for left-handed starter Barry Zito, but they refuse to trade third baseman Eric Chavez."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...wild-card_x.htm

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)

Thanks aj.

After we made the playoffs in 2000, our 2001 payroll increased by 76%. If we had a 76% increase from 2005 to 2006, our payroll would be around 130 million dollars.

That large an increase is not feasable because in 2000 we actually had the seventh lowest payroll in all of MLB, whereas this year we are much higher up in the pack. But I think it does show that a postseason birth, which is looking more realistic everyday, will grant us more flexibilty in the offseason.

This could give us an idea of contracts that may be worked out after any midseason acquisitions. I don't expect anywhere near the 76% increase we saw from '00-'01, but 20% shouldn't be out of the question. That would put us just over 90 million for 2006.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm wowed by Burnett's stuff, and I have yet to determine how this is a bad thing? :huh

See Kerry Wood. It's easy to be wowed by his stuff, but he's a thrower, not a pitcher. [/steve Stone]