Danks will honor commitment to the Longhorns

CSF

Draft pick takes school over Sox

Outfielder Danks plans to honor his Texas commitment

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

July 2, 2005

OAKLAND -- The top position player selected by the White Sox in last month's amateur draft plans to honor his commitment to the University of Texas.

"We are completely appreciative of the White Sox," said John Danks Sr., the father of Jordan Danks, the Sox's 19th-round pick out of Round Rock, Texas. "Jordan is a top talent. But I don't see him changing his mind."

The White Sox knew that Danks, a 6-foot-5-inch, 210-pound left-handed-hitting center fielder, would be tough to sign because of his commitment to the Longhorns.

But the Sox continue to take the necessary steps in the event Danks changes his mind before fall semester classes start at Texas on Aug. 31.

They have tendered Danks a standard minor-league contract so they retain his negotiating rights until he attends classes.

Danks was ranked as the 37th-best prospect by Baseball America before the draft, but he slid to the 19th round after the Danks family sent a letter to all 30 major-league teams informing them of their son's intention to play for Texas.

John Danks Sr., who played basketball at the University of Texas under the late Abe Lemons, said he signed a letter that was submitted to Major League Baseball, stating the Sox would have permission to draft his son again in the event he doesn't sign before he enrolls at Texas.

Danks spoke highly of Sox local scout Keith Staab, who has remained in contact with the family.

Danks batted .486 with 10 home runs and 30 RBIs and 18 stolen bases in 74 at-bats for Round Rock this year.

After Danks returns this weekend from a trip to the Bahamas with his high school choir, he is expected to head to Nebraska to play for the Beatrice Bruins of the collegiate M.I.N.K. League.

The Danks family has collected plenty of information on the pros and cons of starting a professional career out of high school as opposed to attending college before signing.

John Danks, Jordan's older brother, was the ninth overall pick in the 2003 draft and signed out of high school with Texas for a $2.1 million bonus.

He already has reached the Double-A level at Frisco, posting a 2-2 record and 3.89 ERA in six starts.

"We've taken a good look at minor-league baseball for three years," John Danks Sr. said. "I think there are some great benefits to going to the University of Texas first."

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:21 AM)
It was worth a shot.  Can't hate on a guy for wanting to go to school.

As a college student at a big school with many great sports programs (Indiana University), I can't argue going to school to play for the defending national champions for baseball...

Having been so deeply involved with the NFL draft for more than a few years, I have seen quite a bit in terms of top prospects honoring comitments, choosing to stay in school, go pro, etc. and I can honestly say I've never once faulted a young, talented kid for deciding to stay (or in this case, go to) in school versus turning pro and making tons of dough--including Leinart.

Not at all.  I wish more kids had the guts to choose education over immediate gratification.

The reason you go to school is to learn so that you can have a successful job in the future and make money.. Why would you want to go to school when there is a job, with more money than youll make goin to school sitting right there in front of you and all you have to do is play a game.. You dont have to go to class you dont have to do homework, you just play a game and get paid a ton to do it..

f*** school, but thats just me.. I dont see how you can turn down that much money for your job to be playing a game.. makes no sense, school is overrated as it is..

It's called a backup plan. If your pro career busts you're going to need to something to fall back on. This is especially true in baseball because so few of the pros make it to the bigs. If you're not in the first couple rounds your signing bonus isn't going to be huge and none of the minor league salaries are worth anything.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
It's called a backup plan. If your pro career busts you're going to need to something to fall back on. This is especially true in baseball because so few of the pros make it to the bigs. If you're not in the first couple rounds your signing bonus isn't going to be huge and none of the minor league salaries are worth anything.

Most of these HS players have the costs of college taken care of in their contract, explicitly stating the team will pay for college after their pro careers are over should they desire to do so.

That said, not all that many baseball players could get into quality colleges based on academic merits alone.

That ALSO being said, few 6'5" kids have the kind of physical ability in the game of baseball that Jordan Danks has. He is very Carlos Beltran-esque, IMO, yet bigger. A faster and more athletic Jermaine Dye maybe?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
I think this is John Danks fault, if he hadnt already got a 2 million plus contract b4 Jordan maybe Jordan would of skipped college to get some money, but now his family is obviously secure financially with the 1st danks contract.

I think there is some truth to the "John has already gone that route" theory, but I believe it has far more to do with their experience with the process and the connections they now have in terms of advisors than with money.

He has top 10 talent but probably would have gone late first because of signability issues. He goes to college and adds someone not named Boras as agent and 3 years from now, there's a decent chance he's a top 15 pick.

The Sox were not going to throw 2+ million at him, it would have made far too many ripples with the Commissioner's office, and we know how close Bud and JR are.

QUOTE(Jimenez4MVP @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
The reason you go to school is to learn so that you can have a successful job in the future and make money.. Why would you want to go to school when there is a job, with more money than youll make goin to school sitting right there in front of you and all you have to do is play a game.. You dont have to go to class you dont have to do homework, you just play a game and get paid a ton to do it..

f*** school, but thats just me.. I dont see how you can turn down that much money for your job to be playing a game.. makes no sense, school is overrated as it is..

After I read that point, you pretty much just proved my point without trying.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
I think this is John Danks fault, if he hadnt already got a 2 million plus contract b4 Jordan maybe Jordan would of skipped college to get some money, but now his family is obviously secure financially with the 1st danks contract.

Um, OK. So not getting more money makes sense, right??? :lolhitting

If that was the case, you betcha John's and Jordan's parents would've pushed Jordan to get drafted WAY earlier in the draft, say the first round, and signed for some serious bonus money.

Let's look at the facts:

1. John Sr. used to play for the 'Horns, albeit in another sport. The fact is if you've ever been in Austin, and seen the sights and sounds (like 6th street on a Saturday night), trust me, it's a no-brainer. Plus the school's not bad too. And this is coming from a South Sider who's living in TX right now.

2. Yeah, John Jr is in the minors. So, the Danks can look at the pros and cons of why they should allow their younger son to join John Jr in the minors, or take a closer look at furthering his education, get a free ride and play for a recently two-time national champion.

3. Jordan's parents DID send a letter to all 30 teams stating "Do not draft Jordan because he is going to school". At least John Sr. did say that he would allow the Sox to re-draft Jordan if Jordan ever changes his mind. So it wasn't as if the Sox didn't know what was going on.

4. Round Rock TX, where the Danks reside and where Jordan graduated, is only 10-20 minutes away from downtown Austin, depending on traffic. So they KINDA know about Austin already...

If the Danks were selfish, then they would've said to Jordan, get drafted and let's party. But they didn't. In the end, it's Jordan's decision. And a pretty smart one at that, IMO. At least, John Sr. is being very professional and courteous in what he's saying to the press. Hopefully the Sox will get another chance at a talent like Jordan in the near future.

Shiner Bocks to all my friends.... :cheers

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Um, OK. So not getting more money makes sense, right??? :lolhitting

If that was the case, you betcha John's and Jordan's parents would've pushed Jordan to get drafted WAY earlier in the draft, say the first round, and signed for some serious bonus money. 

Let's look at the facts:

1.  John Sr. used to play for the 'Horns, albeit in another sport.  The fact is if you've ever been in Austin, and seen the sights and sounds (like 6th street on a Saturday night), trust me, it's a no-brainer.  Plus the school's not bad too.  And this is coming from a South Sider who's living in TX right now.

2.  Yeah, John Jr is in the minors.  So, the Danks can look at the pros and cons of why they should allow their younger son to join John Jr in the minors, or take a closer look at furthering his education, get a free ride and play for a recently two-time national champion.

3.  Jordan's parents DID send a letter to all 30 teams stating "Do not draft Jordan because he is going to school".  At least John Sr. did say that he would allow the Sox to re-draft Jordan if Jordan ever changes his mind.  So it wasn't as if the Sox didn't know what was going on.

4.  Round Rock TX, where the Danks reside and where Jordan graduated, is only 10-20 minutes away from downtown Austin, depending on traffic.  So they KINDA know about Austin already...

If the Danks were selfish, then they would've said to Jordan, get drafted and let's party.  But they didn't. In the end, it's Jordan's decision.  And a pretty smart one at that, IMO.  At least, John Sr. is being very professional and courteous in what he's saying to the press.  Hopefully the Sox will get another chance at a talent like Jordan in the near future. 

Shiner Bocks to all my friends.... :cheers

Good post.

And damn some Shiner's would have went down real good yesterday :drink

did I say not getting more money makes sense, Even if Jordan does bad in college and likelyhood is he is going to do good, He is going to get a big contract when he enters the draft. Now if his brother John Danks didnt already get the 2.1 million his family could of said we needed the money and les not risk an injury going to college.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
did I say not getting more money makes sense,  Even if Jordan does bad in college and likelyhood is he is going to do good,  He is going to get a big contract when he enters the draft.  Now if his brother John Danks didnt already get the 2.1 million his family could of said we needed the money and les not risk an injury going to college.

It's true that guys get calls, but it's bulls*** that it happens. Freaking Pedro game in Boston a few years back when one of the coaches for the Sox spazzed out. He grabbed a towel on the ground and point how wide the zone was, pure comedy. Sirotka dueled with Pedro and the Sox (I think Foulke ironically) gave up a run in the 9th.