KW mistake?

Steve9347

I must admit, I originally applauded Kenny Williams for dealing Esteban Loaiza out of town and getting the hard-throwing Cuban Jose Contreras.

However, this season it seems that Loaiza has gotten his cutter back, and is having a very nice season, while Contreras looks like he did in NY: dominant stuff... no control/confidence.

Here are the stats.

Esteban Loaiza

5-5, 3.61 ERA, makes $2.5 million/year

Jose Contreras

3-5, 4.34 ERA, makes $8.5 million/year

I understand that Loaiza was a FA at the end of the year, but I'm sure we could have had him for $3 million or so. However, I don't want to nit-pick Kenny, because he's really made some incredible moves. However, I just wanted to bring to the attention of everyone Loaiza's turnaround season. Of course, hindsight is always 20-20.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
spent a decent amount of his pro career with the buckos in pitt...

but the hitters have changed and not all of the hitters remember each pitcher from a while back..

It's been a push at best for us. When you consider the money, its probably been a move we could want to take back. That JC money might have landed a Matt Morris or Odalis Perez (nicked up) who are better than Jose or we could have resigned Loaiza for less money than we are paying Jose. Still, its not been a brutal move or anything. My suspicions are that if we didn't make the trade, Esteban would have been bad enough to where we would have run him out of town and he wouldn't be here anyways.

Loaiza wasn't bringing his A game with him last year. He showed me that in the AS game when he was hitting 94 mph, yet he'd top out at 89 for the Sox. No thanks. That's the type of player we didn't need in the clubhouse.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...t=.jsp&c_id=was

Nationals outfielder Jose Guillen was upset after Tuesday's win against the Mets and didn't want to talk to the media. According to multiple sources, Guillen was angry that teammate Esteban Loaiza didn't retaliate after Mets right-hander Pedro Martinez hit Guillen with a pitch in the first inning.

According to the sources, Guillen believed that Martinez purposely hit him with the pitch. One source said Loaiza didn't retaliate because the game was close and he didn't want to allow runners on base.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)

One source said Loaiza didn't retaliate because the game was close and he didn't want to allow runners on base.

What is loaiza thinking trying to win the game? Stupid loaiza was never taught hitting a guy for retalliation is more important than a win. :headshake

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
What is loaiza thinking trying to win the game? Stupid loaiza was never taught hitting a guy for retalliation is more important than a win. :headshake

Didnt Guillen get mad last year when he got hit in a game vs toronto? He seems like he is a very passionate guy, I bet if he was a pitcher he would be like Pedro lol.