Bobby Jenks

kman

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, they say in his scouting report that despite the fact he has a 98-100mph fastball, that his curveball is his best pitch.

After seeing that curve, which he doesn't use a lot...I have to say I'm impressed.

If he can gain a little more control over that fastball, he can be dominant...easily.

:headbang

His curve would be dominant entirely because he wouldn't throw it very often. When you can throw 99+...you throw that curveball as an out pitch, and Ted Williams will strike out.

He was ahead of each of the last 3 hitters he faced. I'll give him the leadoff guy as just nerves. And that ump was pinching us all day.

i have a bold prediction:

while hemmy is out on the berevement list this kid jenkins will tear it up and will stay with the club as a setup man in the 8th

we will then primarly use marte/polete in the 7th, jenks wil close the 8th, and hermenson the 9th.... that leaves cotts/viz/shingto sharing time in the earlier innings

awww... pipe dream ummmm tastes good

like ice cream

ummm, key lime flavor

yes, ice cream

ummmmm, like key lime flovor

yes, ice cream...

ummm, key lime flavor

yes, ice cream...

you get the idea

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:57 AM)
His curve would be dominant entirely because he wouldn't throw it very often.  When you can throw 99+...you throw that curveball as an out pitch, and Ted Williams will strike out.

He was ahead of each of the last 3 hitters he faced.  I'll give him the leadoff guy as just nerves.  And that ump was pinching us all day.

You make a good point that I was going to make. Jenks has a great curve, but his fastball is good enough so that he doesn't need to throw it early in the count in order to get ahead of the hitter. Rather, Jenks can save that pitch until he has 2 strikes, and he'll get a ton of hitters to chase it, even if it's not close to the plate. The difference between Jenks and McCarthy right now is that Jenks is able to get his fastball past MLB hitters, while McCarthy is not. Thus, McCarthy needs to use his whole repetoire in order to get 2 strikes on the batter. By that time, the hitter has seen the fastball and curve probably.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
You make a good point that I was going to make.  Jenks has a great curve, but his fastball is good enough so that he doesn't need to throw it early in the count in order to get ahead of the hitter.  Rather, Jenks can save that pitch until he has 2 strikes, and he'll get a ton of hitters to chase it, even if it's not close to the plate.  The difference between Jenks and McCarthy right now is that Jenks is able to get his fastball past MLB hitters, while McCarthy is not.  Thus, McCarthy needs to use his whole repetoire in order to get 2 strikes on the batter.  By that time, the hitter has seen the fastball and curve probably.

Which is exactly why BMac needs to throw that damn changeup more often...almost every hitter he faces should see it at some point.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
"Ozzie what'd you think about seeing Jenks"

"Good Fastball"..."Did a tremendous job"..."I know he's not afraid, that's 1 thing I like, I like the attitude and the body language on the mound"

He was pumped after the final out.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
whats' the knock on him?  Control?  Lotta walks?

I think he tends to lose the strikezone every once in a while, issues alot of walks and gets lit up when he has to come to the plate with his fastball. Just keep pounding the plate and he will be fine.

When is the last time a Sox reliever threw this hard? Hernandez? Radinsky? Thigpen? Lorenzo Barcelo was rumored to throw that hard, but I never saw it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
I think he tends to lose the strikezone every once in a while, issues alot of walks and gets lit up when he has to come to the plate with his fastball. Just keep pounding the plate and he will be fine.

When is the last time a Sox reliever threw this hard? Hernandez?  Radinsky?  Thigpen? Lorenzo Barcelo was rumored to throw that hard, but I never saw it.

None of them threw this hard. All were upper 90's...but none of them were hitting 99 or higher.

You never find guys like this. NEVER.