Bobby Jenks

kman

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let's say Jenks has a K-Rod like finish to the year. Does he become the closer next year? Or a set-up man to the Herminator? Either way, if he can locate his pitches and can improve his control like Neal Cotts has done this season in the future, he should become our closer with that stuff of his. And the good thing is, he'll be cheap and under our control for the next 4 to 5 years, which once again shows the advantages of developing good, young players.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Ok let's say Jenks has a K-Rod like finish to the year. Does he become the closer next year? Or a set-up man to the Herminator? Either way, if he can locate his pitches and can improve his control like Neal Cotts has done this season in the future, he should become our closer with that stuff of his. And the good thing is, he'll be cheap and under our control for the next 4 to 5 years, which once again shows the advantages of developing good, young players.

It also helps to steal them from other franchises.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
It also helps to steal them from other franchises.

I was just fortunate we had an opening on our 40 man roster at the time. That might have been around the time the Rangers claimed Ryan Wing but I'm not sure on that.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:55 AM)
Are we not getting a little carried away with jenks? I mean i loved what i saw but remember how people were talking about mccarthy? Anyone remember how that turned out? I would say the opposite of good.

Shut up qwerty! All is great in Sox Nation today! :cheers

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:16 AM)
Not with us.  And please,  don't ever mention that name again.

Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 03:32 AM)
Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch Koch

Hmmm. You might get banned for that one.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:55 AM)
Are we not getting a little carried away with jenks? I mean i loved what i saw but remember how people were talking about mccarthy? Anyone remember how that turned out? I would say the opposite of good.

I think most of us are pretty grounded, Qwerty. But damn, when was the last time we had a guy that threw this hard? It's hard not to get a little excited.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:58 AM)
Anyone else see this as an audition for a trade?  Just a thought.

Could very well be. His future might be bright. But I have a hard time seeing Jenks pitching in a tight game in the playoffs with the sox this year.

Im pretty sure this guy is here to stay, if he can prove he can handle the big leagues our bullpen is already good enough that we wouldnt need to add anyone. I mean think about it, playoffs a rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and El Duque... bullpen of Hermy, Politte, Cotts, Marte, Jenks, Contreras, and than one of Shingo or Viz.

I think that bullpen is fine since you basicly got hermy, politte, cotts and contreras who should all be dominant and than Marte if healthy could even be the best of all of them and Shingo would be very useful in the WS against a NL team.

Unless we trade for a starter which Im begining to think isnt happening. Schmidt from all accounts isnt what he used to be and if thats true its not worth what it will take to get him. And now Oswalt is basicly off the market since the Astro's are making another run and I think Oakland might want to keep Zito since their recent resurgence.

He might not be as good as K-Rod, but I think Jenks can basicly be for us what K-Rod was for the angels... if he is good we can shorten the game to 5 innings for our starters in the playoffs... 6 Jenks, 7 Cotts, 8 Politte, 9 Hermy.... not saying that we yank the pitcher after 5 but man that bullpen would be awesome especially if marte is healthy.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Why is that?

Because of the veteran guys ahead of him, the pressure, etc.

Realistically, Jenks probably won't be pitching for the sox in a playoff game. Think of the sox playing a road game, in Boston or Ana, with the crowd going crazy. I can't picture a 24 yr old rookie who's been a reliever for less than half a yr, throwing in such a situation.

Now, could a guy like Jenks be used to acquire a Billy Wagner type impact reliever? I could see that.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:16 AM)
Because of the veteran guys ahead of him, the pressure, etc.

Realistically, Jenks probably won't be pitching for the sox in a playoff game. Think of the sox playing a road game, in Boston or Ana, with the crowd going crazy. I can't picture a 24 yr old rookie who's been a reliever for less than half a yr, throwing in such a situation.

Now, could a guy like Jenks be used to acquire a Billy Wagner type impact reliever? I could see that.

Well, assuming he's not traded, I can't see how he wouldn't pitch in pressure situations. Especially if he proves he's the real deal the next 3 months.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Well,  assuming he's not traded,  I can't see how he wouldn't pitch in pressure situations.  Especially if he proves he's the real deal the next 3 months.

Except the trade deadline is only 24 days away. I still see the sox adding a proven impact arm to the pen. Jenks may be the Sox "K-Rod" [a rookie having a big impact on a team's playoff run]. Yet that type of rookie impact is very rare.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Except the trade deadline is only 24 days away. I still see the sox adding a proven impact arm to the pen. Jenks may be the Sox "K-Rod" [a rookie having a big impact on a team's playoff run]. Yet that type of rookie impact is very rare.

The type of stuff Jenks has is very rare 2. How many guys do you know that can throw the ball 100 mph. Now count that up and count how many guys you know who can do that but yet it isnt even their best pitch.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:31 AM)

Seems like your in a hurry to trade this guy. Lets see what he can do first. The package and potential is most definitely there. Nobody can deny that. If he turns out to be legit, we won't need another reliever. We could look to add elsewhere. I'm hoping Ozzie gives this guy every chance to show what he can do, which won't be easy considering we have a pretty deep pen.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
Seems like your in a hurry to trade this guy.  Lets see what he can do first.  The package and potential is most definitely there.  Nobody can deny that.  If he turns out to be legit,  we won't need another reliever. 

I'm not in a hurry to trade Jenks. But I'm in a hurry to add to the sox pen. The point is, 24 days may not [and probably isn't] enough time for Jenks to show he can help the sox in the playoffs.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
The type of stuff Jenks has is very rare 2.  How many guys do you know that can throw the ball 100 mph.  Now count that up and count how many guys you know who can do that but yet it isnt even their best pitch.

I'm not discounting Jenks' talent. But it's a big stretch saying he can play a vital role in the bullpen for the next few months and pitch for the sox in the playoffs.

Most posters around here will call for his head the first time he implodes [which he will, all relievers do]. Seeing how he deals with failure at the major league level, and how he bounces back, will be pretty telling.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)
I'm not discounting Jenks' talent. But it's a big stretch saying he can play a vital role in the bullpen for the next few months and pitch for the sox in the playoffs.

Most posters around here will call for his head the first time he implodes [which he will, all relievers do]. Seeing how he deals with failure at the major league level, and how he bounces back, will be pretty telling.

It may be a stretch, but we should not trade this guy. He can be the anchor in the bullpen for the next 5 years. An arm like Jenks has is a rare commodity.

Guest JimH

Jenks won't get traded period. They have worked with this guy and nurtured him to an extent, including converting him to a closer.

If he falls flat on his face these next few weeks, he simply goes back to Birmingham or Charlotte.