Bobby Jenks

kman

I keep him. If he comes out the next time, walks the bases loaded and gives up a slam, I still keep him. His fastball is one in a million and his curveball is better. I swear curve to end the game looked like it picked up speed as when it fell off the table into the dirt. Yesterday I did a google on his name and there are pages upon pages of info on him from since he was beginning in the Angels system. Among other things, when he was younger he was clocked at 103 by an army radar gun. He has had control issues but they are improving. He used to walk a guy an inning in the Angels system; in B'ham he only walked a guy every two innings at most. What is really interesting is an explanation he had given recently for his wildness. He said that with high 90's heat, the hitters simply can't pull the trigger on pitches and therefore take balls that would otherwise be swung at. Interesting. What is also noteworthy is that when the Angels gave up on him, he was a starter and scouting reports said that, especially given his size, he didn't have the endurance to go more then 5 innings and thus would only project as a back of the rotation guy. IMO using him as a closer negates this shortcoming.

Folks, do you know how I best describe Jenks? I see Kerry Wood talent, *plus* a killer curve to go with it.

As if things weren't looking good before, if Jenks is the real deal, the Sox will then have 3 fully capable closers. Most teams would be happy with just one. Mercy.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
Jenks won't get traded period.  They have worked with this guy and nurtured him to an extent, including converting him to a closer.

If he falls flat on his face these next few weeks, he simply goes back to Birmingham or Charlotte.

jenks was always the prized pitcher in the angels organization. baseball america rated him as the best fastball and best curveball in teh angels minors. thats sayin alot too since anaheim has had outstanding farm talent. the guy was simply a dope with the angles lower minors, broke a team rule, got in fights, trouble with alcohol etc. they sent him to the arizona fall league and he absolutely dominated. i followed him even when he was with anaheim, and i remember telling a friend that id like to see the sox get him when the angels and sox were rumored to be dealing (cant remember who). the espn thing came out on him and after that scouts said he pitched like he had something to prove. many scouts had always said that he would be a better reliever than starter, yet anaheim always kept him as a starter. he got in another fight or something and teh angels decided to not keep him on the 40 man roster. i was happy when the sox made him a closer...

i believe in 02 he was the #2 overall top prospect for anaheim, and in 03 he was the #5....heres the scouting report from 03, but i remember the 02 report was much more praising of him

5. Bobby Jenks, rhp

Drafted: HS—Spirit Lake, Idaho, 2000 (5th round).

Signed by: Jack Uhey.

Background: Jenks has overcome more obstacles than most 23-year-olds. Many of them have been self-induced, including a suspension for violating team rules in 2002. Just when he was starting to make the most significant progress of his career last season, he was the subject of a revealing ESPN Magazine article. Then he spent two months on the disabled list with a stress reaction in his elbow.

Strengths: Jenks lights up radar guns, generating easy 93-99 mph readings in every start. He has topped out at 102 but is learning the importance of command and movement over velocity. His curveball features hard, downward bite and can be an unhittable pitch. He rarely uses his changeup, but he’ll flash an above-average one on occasion.

Weaknesses: Jenks is still learning to harness his emotions and his overpowering repertoire. He came into spring last year 30 pounds overweight, which led to complications with his mechanics.

The Future: Angels officials noticed more ambition from Jenks after the ESPN article. If he follows up a strong winter in Puerto Rico with a good spring, he likely will head to Triple-A Salt Lake.

Q: Stephen C. Smith from Irvine, CA asks:

Josh Boyd was the resident advocate, if not evangelist, at BA for Bobby Jenks. Now that Josh has moved on, what is the opinion of the rest of the BA staff regarding Jenks? Is there a sense collectively that the Angels' patience and risk may have been worth it?

A: Jim Callis: I can't speak for the rest of the BA staff, but to me, Jenks is still Jenks: a high ceiling guy with questionable control and a questionable makeup. He has made some progress, but still needs to throw a lot more strikes and settle down. I always have thought, and continue to think, that he's going to be better suited to relieve rather than start.

A: Jim Callis: Jeff Mathis might be Anaheim's best option as a big league catcher by the end of the year. If Bobby Jenks ever puts it all together, he'd get a quick call to the majors.

My take on Jenks... He looked like he was having problems getting the fastball down in the zone. The Rays were anxious and swinging at them, but a fastball like that is hard to resist, especially with the amount of movement he has on it. I could see that if you get a more disiplined team, he would walk some guys.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:07 AM)
Could very well be. His future might be bright. But I have a hard time seeing Jenks pitching in a tight game in the playoffs with the sox this year.

Come on he has 1 inning of big league experience

Jenks = John Daly

1.jpg

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Come on he has 1 inning of big league experience

Jenks = John Daly

1.jpg

wouldnt you think that your 1st inning ever in the majors is probably the most pressure you will ever put on yourself unless maybe your closing game 7 of the WS but you get my point.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
My take on Jenks... He looked like he was having problems getting the fastball down in the zone.  The Rays were anxious and swinging at them, but a fastball like that is hard to resist, especially with the amount of movement he has on it.  I could see that if you get a more disiplined team, he would walk some guys.

With the first hitter last night, the one who ended up walking, Jenks' first two balls were borderline knee high laserbeams that the ump didn't call strikes. It was a small zone all night and it was a case in point right there. But yes, to later hitters, he was leaving them up more.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
My take on Jenks... He looked like he was having problems getting the fastball down in the zone.  The Rays were anxious and swinging at them, but a fastball like that is hard to resist, especially with the amount of movement he has on it.  I could see that if you get a more disiplined team, he would walk some guys.

heres something ironic, the guy anaheim kept on the 40 man roster instead of jenks, thus making him available for the sox, is none other than tim bittner, one of the toss ins in the schoney deal

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)

I had the same discussion with my friend this morning. All those fast balls were up...which is good in that, hitters can't catch up to them, but it is bad cause a patient hitter will take the walk. My friend said he was around the strikezone and that's all he needs....I disagree...I think ya need to throw that fast ball for a strike at least once an at bat, but I don't want to really judge him on one inning anyway.

I loved his stuff though. He could've been pitching up cause he was amped. I'm anxious to see his next couple innings. I'm not worried about his problems in the past...gimmie a break...he was in his early 20's.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
I had the same discussion with my friend this morning.  All those fast balls were up...which is good in that, hitters can't catch up to them, but it is bad cause a patient hitter will take the walk.  My friend said he was around the strikezone and that's all he needs....I disagree...I think ya need to throw that fast ball for a strike at least once an at bat, but I don't want to really judge him on one inning anyway.

I loved his stuff though.  He could've been pitching up cause he was amped.  I'm anxious to see his next couple innings.  I'm not worried about his problems in the past...gimmie a break...he was in his early 20's.

The key for a guy with a good fastball is to work up the ladder. Start at the belt, go to the letters, and if he is still swinging, go to the shoulders. The nice thing for Bobby is that he has a brutal curveball he can start up in the zone and drop to move the hitters eyes off of the high fastball.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
the most amazing thing about his fastball is how he throws it like he is only throwing a 90 mph fastball, it almost looked effortless.

he looked alot like colon does, where its a short-armed devliery that almost sneaks out of his hand and explodes over the plate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
I dont agree, they are putting Schilling in the closers role right now, and I see John Smoltz-type production out of him in that role.

So now they will have 2 reliable relivers. Schilling and Timlin. They're desperate for bullpen arms especially with Foulke going on the DL.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
C'mon.  He's coming back from a serious injury.  The old Schilling may never reappear.

Right...come on-its not like it was Tommy-john or anything. He is throwing the ball fine in his rehab, and is gaining velocity. You dont think he has the ability to close games? All it takes it two fastballs and a splitter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Very true. He's getting roughed up at Pawtucket.

Pssh, you can't get Ross Gload out. But yeah, even if Schilling becomes John Smoltz which is far from a guarantee they have 2 reliable guys then in him and Timlin but nothing else. We have so much depth in the pen right now it's nuts.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
Right...come on-its not like it was Tommy-john or anything.  He is throwing the ball fine in his rehab, and is gaining velocity.  You dont think he has the ability to close games?  All it takes it two fastballs and a splitter.

It's a different mind set, it's a different position, you just can't be certain about it either way.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Right...come on-its not like it was Tommy-john or anything.  He is throwing the ball fine in his rehab, and is gaining velocity.  You dont think he has the ability to close games?  All it takes it two fastballs and a splitter.

He's a question mark. Just like Thomas was a question mark. He may come back and be great, but maybe not.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
He's a question mark.  Just like Thomas was a question mark.  He may come back and be great, but maybe not.

Thomas injury was more severa and he is a larger man putting more weight on his ankle. Schilling will be a lights out closer, you can bookmark this page if you like.