'Hawks to Name Head Coach

Aside from a quickly assembled roster, Yawney will have to cope with a series of rule changes designed to invigorate the game. The NHL is expected to eliminate the center line except for icing, bring back tag-up offsides, introduce automatic icing, shrink the size of the goaltender's equipment, revamp sudden-death overtime in the regular season (adding a 3-on-3 segment following 4-on-4 if needed) and use a shootout to break ties if overtime doesn't do it.

I dont know that much about hockey but it would seem to me that as bad as the Blackhawks have been the past four or five years they would try to hire a big name coach or a former Blackhawk player to try and restore some interest in the city of Chicago for this quickly dying franchise and sport. To me hiring a minor league coach does not seem like the answer. Who knows maybe it will work like when the Cleveland Indians hired Lou Brown to mangage their team in major league.

How would you feel about managing the Cleveland Indians?

I got a guy on the other line about some White Walls, let me call you back

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
I dont know that much about hockey but it would seem to me that as bad as the Blackhawks have been the past four or five years they would try to hire a big name coach or a former Blackhawk player to try and restore some interest in the city of Chicago for this quickly dying franchise and sport. To me hiring a minor league coach does not seem like the answer. Who knows maybe it will work like when the Cleveland Indians hired Lou Brown to mangage their team in major league.

How would you feel about managing the Cleveland Indians?

I got a guy on the other line about some White Walls, let me call you back

Well, Yawney was a former Hawk, but I know what you mean, a guy like Mikita or Hull or someone like that.

Yawney is a solid hire, but unfortunately the general reaction around here is the same as his nickname...."Yawns".

He's going to do some good things with this young team, though.

....if they play this year.....

You have to start somewhere.

Yawney is a good hire. Just took the Hawks too damn long.

All great coaches start off somewhere. Hiring a Mikita or Hull or any of those guys would just be worthless. He's the right guy for this club.

It's similar to Ozzie being hired, just not as big.

If the Hawks were going to hire a former star player it would have been Denny Savard. I like this Yawney hire, though. I don't care about media impact, I want the Hawks to play some good hockey for a change.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
If the Hawks were going to hire a former star player it would have been Denny Savard.  I like this Yawney hire, though.  I don't care about media impact, I want the Hawks to play some good hockey for a change.

Didn't Savard already have a stint as head coach? I think he did for a time during the really suck-ass years of the late 90's.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
Trent YAWN-ey. 'Nuff said. NHL blows until they start back again and the Blackhawks get Jagr, Igiinla, and Hasek.

Yeah, until the Hawks get Jagr... :rolly

Please -- know something about hockey before you post in a hockey thread. This is probably the worst of the anti-hockey posts I've seen on here in a while.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Yeah, until the Hawks get Jagr...  :rolly

Please -- know something about hockey before you post in a hockey thread.  This is probably the worst of the anti-hockey posts I've seen on here in a while.

Dude, I was joking. Sorry, I should have put it in green since it wasn't obviouis enough for you. :headshake

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Didn't Savard already have a stint as head coach?  I think he did for a time during the really suck-ass years of the late 90's.

You're thinking of Dirk Graham. He was awful as a head coach, and I remember I was on vacation when my dad called saying he was fired. :lol: